Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,041,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
What does Obama's fake accent have to do with Palin's inability to correctly pronounce a simple and common word, with or without her fake accent? Yeah, that's what I thought...nothing.
Why is it relevant? Uh, perhaps because he who has never spent any time in the South loves to add a Southern twang to his pronunciations because it appeals to the homies. But when he's speaking to predominantly white audiences, he drops it. It's phony and contrived. At least the others don't change their speech patterns and pronunciations to appeal to different groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,429,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Why is it relevant? Uh, perhaps because he who has never spent any time in the South loves to add a Southern twang to his pronunciations because it appeals to the homies. But when he's speaking to predominantly white audiences, he drops it. It's phony and contrived. At least the others don't change their speech patterns and pronunciations to appeal to different groups.
As has been mentioned that has nothing to do with the topic at hand not even when I point out that Palin's accent and dialect comes, goes and is all over the map depending on her audience.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:14 AM

74 posts, read 359,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe it's part of the whole folksy facade.
So this is Sarah Palin defined:
folksy
1.simple and unpretentious, sometimes in an artificial way
2. Characterized by informality and affability.
3. Modest; low-key

folksy - very informal and familiar
- not formal; "conservative people unaccustomed to formal dress"; "an informal free-and-easy manner"; "an informal gathering of friends"

Maybe she should've just went for:
pretentious -
ostentatious, showy, exaggerated, conceited, hollow, pompous, fake.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,883,696 times
And your point is what? It's not exactly an either/or thing; she simply could have spoken and acted the way she did in the governor's race, which was neither of the adjectives that you listed.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,260,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So then it should be cool with you because she has an accent that impacts a bunch of things she says...I cant believe I sit here and defend the woman, but I just get frustrated with the complete partisan driven hate for someone based on the way they pronounce one word.
Honestly, I haven't really been paying any attention to Sarah Palin......like how many people pay much attention to Dick Cheney these day? None, right? It's all Bush did that and Bush did that, and if McCain gets elected it will be McCain did this and McCain did that.

If Obama gets elected however, it will be Biden did this and Biden said that, dontcha know.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,020,979 times
And yes, her inability to pronounce that specific word correctly SCREAMS ignorance. She wants us to think she is an energy expert yet she cannot pronounce the word nuclear properly.

"POK-EE-STON". He wants us to think he is a foreign policy expert, yet he cannot pronounce the word Pakistan properly. Simply screams ignorance...

Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,004,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Thusly, and especially as a Governor and VP candidate, she should be able to pronounce simple and common words such as "nuclear" correctly. She doesn't just "sound funny," as you suggest, she sounds stupid. It's not closed-minded...it's common sense and intellect.
You know what, I've always thought that "Thusly" sounded stupid, so I used my common sense and intellect to try and find out why I thought it sounded stupid when you said it and look what I found:

thusly - definition of thusly by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Quote:
thus·ly (sl)
adv. Usage Problem
Thus.
Usage Note: Thusly was introduced in the 19th century as an alternative to thus in sentences such as Hold it thus or He put it thus. It appears to have first been used by humorists, who may have been echoing the speech of poorly educated people straining to sound stylish. The word has subsequently gained some currency in educated usage, but it is still often regarded as incorrect. A large majority of the Usage Panel found it unacceptable in an earlier survey. In formal writing thus can still be used as in the examples above; in other styles this way, like this, and other such expressions are more natural.
Now do I really think that you are a stupid person? No, not really...but is this almost exactly the same as the issue you have with Palin? Judging a person and their intellect based on one or two words? And people want to blame others for being closed minded, and trying to insight ill-will based on political party? This is nothing more than an attempt to drum up support for making people believe that they are so much smarter then others are and that they are intellectually inferior for their political views.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:46 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,429,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You know what, I've always thought that "Thusly" sounded stupid, so I used my common sense and intellect to try and find out why I thought it sounded stupid when you said it and look what I found:

thusly - definition of thusly by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

*snip*
No offense but come on already. I don't know of a single person that doesn't have their trip words. Words that they hear said incorrectly that make them cringe, twitch and or think 'idiot'. My grandmother's trip word was winder (window) for instance and she was a simple southern farmer.

After 8 years of Bush the pronunciation of nuclear is one that has several extra doses of hot button issue on it. You (general you) may not like it but that is the way it is at this point. It will probably be years before it changes. And claiming offense to people's issue with it seems a bit like arguing for the sake of arguing. Note: I'm not saying you are doing that.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,004,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
No offense but come on already. I don't know of a single person that doesn't have their trip words. Words that they hear said incorrectly that make them cringe, twitch and or think 'idiot'. My grandmother's trip word was winder (window) for instance and she was a simple southern farmer.

After 8 years of Bush the pronunciation of nuclear is one that has several extra doses of hot button issue on it. You (general you) may not like it but that is the way it is at this point. It will probably be years before it changes. And claiming offense to people's issue with it seems a bit like arguing for the sake of arguing. Note: I'm not saying you are doing that.
I understand what you are saying, but my point is that there is SO much hate towards this woman (who I myself don't like that much either) that this whole word pronunciation thing is just so transparent and petty.

It should be a non-issue. It is sad to me to see people this worked up over it, yet the fact that both of our major POTUS candidates signed in favor of the $850B bail-out went by like a big yawn and is no longer even discussed.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,998,425 times
I'm so glad we will not have to hear "nookular" coming from someone in the White House after this January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections