Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:08 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,123 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed the idea of someone outspending a neocon to the tune of a $3million ad.
I especially enjoyed how angry McCain was on Larry King.
The ad itself was very well done. Obama did a great job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:09 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I thought it was a waste of money that could have been sent to the middle class instead of trying to buy his way into the Whitehouse!

Plus he not once mentioned his real ties to all his terrorists friends, racist friends. Or the fact that he will indeed raise our taxes!!

I'm voting for McCain!!
Do you know who held the record for most expensive campaign for president prior to Obama? GWB.
Was that ok?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,427,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well as fun as it is to "beat up" on a candidate when they gaff or when the campaign does something really stupid, it is for me at least also a teaching tool. I watched the Obama ad or info-mercial or whatever they call it in the hopes of learning something from it as it was done damn well. Doesn't matter to me what candidate did it or even so much the content as how it was all brought together. I love the nuts and bolts of election campaigns and all the things that have to come together in order to make an effective campaign, no matter who is doing it.

I am going to toss out a guess that I will probably regret later this week but I am going to say Obama gets about a 2-3pt bump in the polls from this one ad alone. I think it was that effective.
ITA. No matter what I feel about the man that was a great ad. It had the most perfect blend of emotional plucking buttons I've ever witnessed. One moment they went for sad and depressing then they'd cut in with him and his message of hope. Brilliantly done.

In the past I have not been a total political junkie, that's the spouse, but it's hard not to be enthralled with this one. Agreed on the bump he'll get to. If he doesn't get one I'll be stunned which makes the timing of the add all the more brilliant. With the right bump we'll see others of its kind in the future.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,498,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I enjoyed the idea of someone outspending a neocon to the tune of a $3million ad.
I especially enjoyed how angry McCain was on Larry King.
The ad itself was very well done. Obama did a great job.
McCain really did look like a sulking, grumpy sore loser on Larry King; complaining about the expense of the ad, inexperience, etc.

The most baffling thing to me, and someone please explain this, was his new ad that aired about inexperience.

"OBAMA"

"NOT READY TO LEAD"

....YET.

What the hell? Why is that YET there? Who put that there? Is McCain saying that Obama will be ready some other time in the future or something? Help me out on this one.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:27 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,206,986 times
I have many people over the years ask me why I am so captivated by politics and my response is usually, I can't believe that you aren't.

People will sit for hours watching Survivor, Lost, soap-operas, etc... in search for drama. To me, politics has more drama than anywhere else and in addition it is drama that effects us all. The back stabbing, scandal, the personalities of all the players, the various political philosophies and trains of thought, how they campaign and how they govern.

I think it is in part because it is in slow motion, and events don't just happen one after another as they do in fiction, but when they do come apart they are often monster. So when sitting back thinking, what did this campaign do that this one did not or vice versa, it is interesting to see how the public sentiment reacts to these things. Guess I'm just a junkie and probably need to seek out the Betty Ford Clinic for political intervention, or is that Biden's new charity? (chuckling)

Old 10-30-2008, 12:28 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,042,308 times
Its reporting live from Pakistan that Taliban and Al Qaeda soldiers are cheering Obama. When Obama gets into the White (Black) House, hes gonna evict all the Latinos and move in the terrorists. So instead of seeing drive bys you'll be seeing nuke bys! Oh Purrrrrrrlllleeeeeeeeeessssssssseeeeeee!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:31 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,636,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
It really was just a thirty-minute political ad followed by a a brief Live message from Obama himself. He said the same things he has been saying. I don't really think it will make any kind of difference.

You mean he spent 30 minutes saying what he normally does in 30 seconds??? NOTHIN!!!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:36 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,636,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
He is charismatic for sure. It was well produced and inspiring.

I heard it was aimed specifically at the younger to middle-aged women who typically don't make up their mind for a candidate until the last minute. This production could have very well swayed those voters.

Well if he doesnt get elected afterall then I bet he would do good as a daytime soap opera star.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:37 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,427,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I have many people over the years ask me why I am so captivated by politics and my response is usually, I can't believe that you aren't.

People will sit for hours watching Survivor, Lost, soap-operas, etc... in search for drama. To me, politics has more drama than anywhere else and in addition it is drama that effects us all. The back stabbing, scandal, the personalities of all the players, the various political philosophies and trains of thought, how they campaign and how they govern.

I think it is in part because it is in slow motion, and events don't just happen one after another as they do in fiction, but when they do come apart they are often monster. So when sitting back thinking, what did this campaign do that this one did not or vice versa, it is interesting to see how the public sentiment reacts to these things. Guess I'm just a junkie and probably need to seek out the Betty Ford Clinic for political intervention, or is that Biden's new charity? (chuckling)
Ah but politics is a fickle beast for many. A lot of people see it as playing out the same way with the same players and tactics over and over again ad infinitum. The degree you hold seems to be a big indicator of whether or not you'll be a junkie in my experience.

The problem with knowing too much and knowing your history is that when faced with people that don't it can get a bit maddening. You want to point out but so and so did that too and look where it got him and they give you blank stares in return.

I'm afraid a clinic won't help you though because unlike with games, alcohol and drugs politics will remain all around you and then will come to need to vote and with that the need to look up the candidates. It's a never ending cycle. Just grin and admit to being an addict who is happy about it.

Quote:
Its reporting live from Pakistan that Taliban and Al Qaeda soldiers are cheering Obama. When Obama gets into the White (Black) House, hes gonna evict all the Latinos and move in the terrorists. So instead of seeing drive bys you'll be seeing nuke bys! Oh Purrrrrrrlllleeeeeeeeeessssssssseeeeeee!!!!!!
I can't help but to wonder how many people are going to read that and think you're being serious.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,206,986 times
Better to be insane and know it than to be sane and have ones doubts. As to the rest, well another cliche' is best here, as it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

Addict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections