Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will there be an increase in private education and homeschooling?
yes 20 46.51%
no 16 37.21%
there will be a decrease 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:03 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,866,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

I'm all for homeschooling rights, by the way. Not everyone can do it well, but it generally works. This is because the parent, who has the child's best interest at heart, wants to give them a quality education so that they can be successful. I don't care whether it's public, private or homeschooling--if the child gets a good education out of it, then that's good. Public schools worked for me, but may not for everyone.
Excellent point!! When the child is in the parent's best interest - whatever they do will work.

Not everyone can or is able to homeschool and public school does not work for every child.

I think any parent that is not organized will essentially be a bad example and fail in the homeschool department. I homeschooled for 15 years. It's a tremendous experience. When the children grow up and go out on their own to become a success that is even more awesome.

My daughter owns her own business and our son is very successful in a trade. He started out, a couple of years ago, at $14 per hour and keeps moving up. We kept them focused and on schedule and that is the key - discipline first!

BTW, Obama is against vouchers. That means that parents can't choose to move their child to a more successful school. I would vote against him for that reason also - along with everything else he stands for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:06 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,644,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
missing commas.
Yes, in that sentence he could have set off "based upon the question posed in your thread" with commas to help with readability, but that does not constitute a run-on sentence. Commas after "grad" and before "since" are optional.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,230,000 times
Quote:
I personally wouldn't send a child to government programming, but do you think that there will be a drastic increase in either of these?

I think there'll be an increase in homeschooling simply because there's already a trend toward its increasing popularity.
We're homeschoolers. The HS community in my area includes everyone from the cliche of right wing Christian separatists in denim jumpers homeschooling their fifty-three children to left liberal granola-crunching families with children named Phoenix and Sunshine...and a whole bunch in between. Our reasons are as varied as we are, though the absurdities that spring from poorly-funded schools and No Child Left Untested have spurred an awful lot of us.
Probably the same thing applies to people in private schools.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
"government programming" ? I am always amazed at all the anti-education on the McPalin side. I have noticed Palin doesn't seem to be very pro-education,considering her own lack of education.
Don't get me wrong,I know there are some homeschoolers who actually do it RIGHT, but I wonder about those who deny their children a proper education due to their own tin-foil-hat paranoia of the
Big Bad Government.
Most of the homeschoolers I know-- even the ones who are trying to separate from the world for whatever reason-- are doing at least as effective a job as the local schools.
In my case, my daughter's spending less time dodging bullies and more time exploring pre-algebra, wildlife biology, and oceanography. She's writing an epic fantasy novel using the classic mythological structures outlined by Joseph Campbell. She's also in a homeschool book club, and learning to ride her bike. She's ten.
Public school's not a good place for the Hermione Grangers of the world.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,084,615 times
Yes, because OBAMA's government-sponsored education will brainwash our kids with OBAMA's policies.

You are obligated to give to the less fortunate.
You are obligated to pay back those who allowed you to be where you are now.
You are obligated to........

Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Perhaps not the Federal Government?...... Try again.

Not even the State Government runs public schools (except maybe Vermont) ...... It's local school districts.

And home schoolers can take their kids out for all I care....don't let the door hit you in the asse.

Well, okay, but when mine left, the FCAT scores went down.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
no, no phd. just a bachelors from UNCW. went to high school in fairfax county, regarded as one of the best districts in the US for public schools. if you think these are outrageous claims, then that's your problem. watch those run on sentences.
Hey, the run-ons worked for Faulkner.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

I'm all for homeschooling rights, by the way. Not everyone can do it well, but it generally works. This is because the parent, who has the child's best interest at heart, wants to give them a quality education so that they can be successful. I don't care whether it's public, private or homeschooling--if the child gets a good education out of it, then that's good. Public schools worked for me, but may not for everyone.
Well said, Mac. Rep point!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I bet you homeschooling curriculum includes much more than reading, writing, and basic math. I bet you homeschooling includes some BS stuff.
Hmm...well, depends on what you call BS stuff. Probably some of what we do would, IYO, qualify. But because the kids are interested and want to learn it, we do it. I'm certainly not going to tell a child who is engaged and interested and willing to do the work that learning about Frank Lloyd Wright or genealogy or Indo-Pak cooking is "BS".

Old 10-31-2008, 11:37 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,277,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Not force a curriculum - ensure that the parent has a basic understanding of English, Math, Geography, Science, etc enough to teach their child the basics.

basic understanding? maybe you should make sure public school teachers have that same understanding before you employ them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections