Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,642,110 times

Advertisements

"Reagan's background as an actor and his lack of congressional, Cabinet, or national security experience had given voters pause, but the debate allowed him to clear that hurdle. For Obama, his relative youth and lack of national experience, as well as his race, had worked against him until he projected a high level of intelligence and knowledge about issues in the first debate. He was also confident, poised, and sufficiently tough to persuade enough recalcitrant Democratic and independent voters to join ranks behind him."
Source

Senator Obama appears to have met the threshold that has eluded many, including Senator McCain. What will be the Republican strategy going forward? The issues Important to the voters or character attacks that continue to damage the Republican image and brand as a whole? How important will Senator McCain's strategy be to Republican's running in races throughout the Nation as Governor Palin put's forth her message?

"Top GOP Strategist: It's Over"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,621,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
"Reagan's background as an actor and his lack of congressional, Cabinet, or national security experience had given voters pause, but the debate allowed him to clear that hurdle. For Obama, his relative youth and lack of national experience, as well as his race, had worked against him until he projected a high level of intelligence and knowledge about issues in the first debate. He was also confident, poised, and sufficiently tough to persuade enough recalcitrant Democratic and independent voters to join ranks behind him."
Source

Senator Obama appears to have met the threshold that has eluded many, including Senator McCain. What will be the Republican strategy going forward? The issues Important to the voters or character attacks that continue to damage the Republican image and brand as a whole? How important will Senator McCain's strategy be to Republican's running in races throughout the Nation as Governor Palin put's forth her message?

"Top GOP Strategist: It's Over"
I agree with Ed Rollins - the McCain campaign is basically over - he will lose.

The voters have the economy and stock market and their 401(k)s uppermost in their minds - and everyday of bad economic news is like another nail in McCain's coffin...

I don't know what McCain can do but call off the attack dogs (aka - Pallin), and get back to discussing issues - especially the economy.

Maybe miraculously, what he says will resonate with the public.

Personally, I don't give it a chance in H**L - but it's worth a shot....

Go Obama!!

HubbleRules

Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,467,996 times
The Republican Party, and the country, would be best served if McCain (1) stifled Palin, (2) dialed back his own over-the-top rhetoric, and (3) talked about the issues that Americans are most concerned about. That would help take the bad taste out of people's mouths as well as help fellow Republicans in their races.

McCain has lost this election. Too many people who might otherwise have seriously considered voting for him are turning away in revulsion. It's time for McCain to follow his campaign slogan, and put Country First.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,633,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The Republican Party, and the country, would be best served if McCain (1) stifled Palin, (2) dialed back his own over-the-top rhetoric, and (3) talked about the issues that Americans are most concerned about. That would help take the bad taste out of people's mouths as well as help fellow Republicans in their races.

McCain has lost this election. Too many people who might otherwise have seriously considered voting for him are turning away in revulsion. It's time for McCain to follow his campaign slogan, and put Country First.

Excellent point. I couldn't have said it better. Wow, did his true colors come out or what??? Horrible choices, horrible decisions, and a horrible campaigner. Just imagine if McBush was to become president... Egad.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:15 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,642,110 times
The Election cycle has clearly proved the strategy of "this Election isn't about issues", to be a gross overstatement of what the electorate is looking for. The issues in this campaign are incredibly important. The tenuous character associations that all candidates have been assaulted on throughout the Nation's history in Presidential campaigns appears to be less wanted in this one, than any prior. This election is historic in more ways than one, the World will need a strong US Leadership role in the months and years to come, and our President must be able to convey that sense of calm, controlled steel in the face of a Global Crisis. As the United States citizens look to lead the World in the surge ahead in the new frontier of state of the art infrastructure and economic leadership, we will need a President who is forward thinking, and willing to move and think outside of the box. The Great American Experiment continues...

Old 10-12-2008, 08:18 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,458,452 times
Quote:
This election is historic in more ways than one, the World will need a strong US Leadership role in the months and years to come, and our President must be able to convey that sense of calm, controlled steel in the face of a Global Crisis. As the United States citizens look to lead the World in the surge ahead in the new frontier of state of the art infrastructure and economic leadership, we will need a President who is forward thinking, and willing to move and think outside of the box. The Great American Experiment continues...
I think Obama fulfills all of these qualifications.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:53 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,408,098 times
Quote:
The Election cycle has clearly proved the strategy of "this Election isn't about issues", to be a gross overstatement of what the electorate is looking for. The issues in this campaign are incredibly important. The tenuous character associations that all candidates have been assaulted on throughout the Nation's history in Presidential campaigns appears to be less wanted in this one, than any prior. This election is historic in more ways than one, the World will need a strong US Leadership role in the months and years to come, and our President must be able to convey that sense of calm, controlled steel in the face of a Global Crisis. As the United States citizens look to lead the World in the surge ahead in the new frontier of state of the art infrastructure and economic leadership, we will need a President who is forward thinking, and willing to move and think outside of the box. The Great American Experiment continues...
I agree with PG77, Obama fulfills all of these qualifications. I've been increasingly impressed by the way he handles himself under pressure - always calm, cool, and collected. Just what the nation needs in a time of crises. I think he is going to do a great job.

Great post, by the way.

Ken

Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,597,935 times
Quote:
State-level polls also show Obama pulling ahead -- not just in every state that Al Gore won in 2000 or John Kerry won in 2004 but also in some key states that George W. Bush carried twice, such as Colorado, Florida, and Ohio. The contests in several other Bush states, including Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, and Virginia, are now dead heats. Heading toward the end of the second week of voting in some states -- and with as many as one-third of votes nationwide likely to be cast early -- this election is settling into a very bad pattern for McCain and the GOP
I like the way things are shaping up. They say that only once in the last 100 years has someone lost Missouri and won the election.

Missouri is tie right now, but if Obama loses Missouri, I think you could say that twice in the past 100 years has someone lost that state and became President

Old 10-12-2008, 01:42 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,022,586 times
Quote:
Senator Obama cleared threshold, much as Ronald Reagan did October 28, 1980
Excellent quotes, Walidm. You always bring up the most interesting points. I remember the fears and doubts people had about Reagan. You know Teatime's list of "survival techniques"? People were passing around lists like that when Reagan was elected, too. So many people were convinced that we'd be in terrifying, desparate straits.

As for clearing the threshhold--well, I think Obama's 99.9% over it. He'll be completely over the threshhold after Wednesday's debate. I know debates don't usually influence voters, but it's the very last stand for McCain (in what has been a series of last stands). If Obama is declared the winner of the debate, IMO that threshhold has been indisputably crossed.

I must say I'm looking forward to Wednesday night.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:52 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,545,858 times
Thank you for this post. I'm sick of hearing all this over the top stuff that is being said about Obama. I believe he has proven what it needed to. I don't think he would be where he is if he hadn't. I would love to spend the rest of the weeks leading up to the election talking about issues and not smears
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections