Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,756,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_in_NC View Post
Neither one covers everything

So here's my stand

I can't afford healthcare. Obama
I carry a handgun. McCain
I'm tired of the same people in our gov't. Obama
I work in the firearms trade. McCain
I'm pro-coice on the "a" word. Obama
I'm a USAF veteran. McCain
I hate NAFTA. Obama
I believe Iran and N Korea do not deserve direct talks. McCain
I pay too much for gas with oil company record profits. Obama
The USSR "could" rise again, a ColdWar II, Putin wants it. Would require McCain
No child left behind isn't working. Obama

Give me my social security money back. ?????
I spend too much on food. ?????

Though that skin cancer ad was disgusting and shameful. My Uncle had skin cancer.

I'm voting McCain mainly because of Obamas anti stance on guns. That would have an impact on my job and personal security.

How about a round table, with a head of every part elected. The Greens, Libertarians, Dems, Repubs, etc.

Bring back the progressive party
You just about mirrored my family. LOL....

I am voting for McCain for one reason only....I refuse to let the popular media pick my leadership. This is by far the most frightening thing that I have witnessed in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
My son is gonna be stuck in NJ for the voting. Is it too late for him to get an absantee ballot from Florida? Someone told me it was and now he cannot vote.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
I would be for Obama...but two huge issues for me as a Christian is the candidate must oppose abortion and special rights for homosexuals. Deep down I hope Obama wins this thing, but I am not sure I can pull the lever for him because of those two issues.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
How can people still be undecided? The two candidates are SO different.

Thoughts?

They can be undecided if they dislike both candidates equally.

As an independent, I don't care for either one...

Bud

Old 10-01-2008, 05:08 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I would be for Obama...but two huge issues for me as a Christian is the candidate must oppose abortion and special rights for homosexuals. Deep down I hope Obama wins this thing, but I am not sure I can pull the lever for him because of those two issues.
It sounds like you're sincere in your beliefs. As a Christian (I'm not Christian, so I can empathize but not identify with you), is it not possible for you to think/believe that those two issues are issues between individuals and their g-d, not issues for our secular government, that governs all of us in this country, not just Christians, to control?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

There is Chuck Baldwin....Constitution Party...

Old 10-01-2008, 05:36 PM

973 posts, read 2,230,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
How can people still be undecided? The two candidates are SO different.

Thoughts?
Neither are ideal candidates or have ideal parties. It's foolish to assume one of them is vastly superior to the other for everyone in the country.

A lot of conservatives are upset about how the Republican party has lost its fiscal conservatism lately, and a lot of liberals aren't happy that the best candidate wasn't chosen for the nomination.

A lot of Independents don't want more major social programs (Universal Healthcare) until the current ones are fixed (Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid), or they are adamantly against government-run social programs altogether. A lot of people don't trust either candidate since BOTH have been heavily stretching the truth about the other guy in recent weeks.

A lot of people are worried about the candidates past connections (Ayerz/Rezko/Keating 5) and personal timing (too inexperienced / too old).

A lot of people are still having to decide between past actions as proof of future action, or hopes and dreams of what could happen.

A lot of people are upset at both parties for running us to the point we're at today. (Total lack of bi-partisanship over the last 10-15 years, Dems with defending Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac through major accounting fraud and requiring bad loans to be made by banks through 1995's enforcement of the CRA, Reps with unrestrained spending and deregulation.)

A lot of people feel both major candidates this time around are a major improvement over any candidate over the last 20+ years.

A lot of people aren't anywhere close to as liberal as the majority of the Democrat party or as conservative as the majority of the Republican party, and neither party truly reflects how the voter feels.

A lot of people are upset that minority parties aren't taken seriously, even when much of the country agrees that a diversity of opinions, especially at a national level in debates, benefits our country. These people are still considering a vote for neither of the two major parties, so they appear as "undecided" in polling for Dem/Rep.

A lot of people want change and feel both candidates can deliver, but are very concerned about having one party control the House, Senate, and Presidency all at the same time - few checks and balances can mean the changes can be done to an extreme without compromise.

A lot of people feel they don't have to make up their mind until Nov. 4th, and since there is plenty of time and a few debates to go, they're being responsible voters in evaluating EVERYTHING before leaving the "undecided" group.

There are MANY issues why this election is a tough choice.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:40 PM

973 posts, read 2,230,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I refuse to let the popular media pick my leadership. This is by far the most frightening thing that I have witnessed in my lifetime.
Rep for you. It is unreal how much media has affected this election process from the beginning of the primaries to today. So much reporting on things that DON'T MATTER on the issues of who's President (Hillary "under sniper fire," Palin's kids, McCain's houses, etc.) has really bothered me this election.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Rep for you. It is unreal how much media has affected this election process from the beginning of the primaries to today. So much reporting on things that DON'T MATTER on the issues of who's President (Hillary "under sniper fire," Palin's kids, McCain's houses, etc.) has really bothered me this election.
The role that media plays is important and necessary. If not for media, how would any of us know anything about anything? Unless each of us could meet personally with each candidate, and discuss all of the issues until we had every question we have answered, it's the media that gives us almost all of the information.

Some small amount of information is verbatim from the candidates (watch the debates, the conventions, read the candidates' websites, etc.) but media disseminates information. The more variety each of us seeks out and reads/listens to, the better each of us can distinguish between biased/objective; reliable/unreliable; truthful/lying, and the better each of us can make our decisions.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I was undecided between 3rd party and McCain, leaning very heavy toward 3rd party. The way the MSM has been acting has been bringing me to McCain and now with the Gwen Ifill BS, it's pretty much sealed the deal.
Just a heads up on the Gwen Ifill BS -

Gwen Ifill says she hasnt even written the Obama chapter for her book yet - to be published Jan. 20, 2009.

Dont believe those right wing lies!

The Associated Press: Questions raised about moderator's impartiality

As you were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections