Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 AM

509 posts, read 692,588 times

Advertisements

Most of the undecided is either independent or democrats. If Obama can get his own parties undecided and split the independents that will be good for him.
The problem for Obama is why at this stage does he so many undecided democrats . It is double the undecided republicans.

Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/in_white_house_race_twice_as_many_voters_uncommitt ed_compared_to_four_years_ago - broken link)

In White House Race, Twice As Many Voters Uncommitted Compared to Four Years Ago
When given a choice between Barack Obama and John McCain for President, 14% of voters are uncommitted. That figure includes 6% who say they’d vote for some other candidate and 8% who are undecided.
33% of the uncommitted voters are Democrats while only 19% are Republicans. Forty-eight percent (48%) are not affiliated with either major political party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,817,431 times
Wait until at least a week after the conventions to start paying attention to polls.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,123,618 times
The electorate is confused and they don't know Obama. At our last Democratic precinct meeting only 4 of 29 present were committed to Obama. Our precinct went heavily for Hillary in the primary and now many don't feel they know enough about Obama to vote for him.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,006,428 times
Quote:
The problem for Obama is why at this stage does he so many undecided democrats . It is double the undecided republicans.
The PUMAS, disgruntled hillary supporters that say he was not elected, he was selcted by the SDs. Those dems that DO NOT like the tactics of the dems leadership.

Here's a letter that sums it up nicely for this bunch;

Quote:
Major DNC Donor to Party Treasurer;Obama is a Bad Investment

Virtual Platform Meeting and Other Good Stuff (http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs067/1102157694732/archive/1102187504383.html - broken link)

Quote:
All this might not bother me if so much if the stakes where not so high, but they are. I am an issues person, not a cult of personality devotee. Substance matters. Barack is a politician, an inexperienced one at that, pretending he is different. I just see him as arrogant and power hungry. Our country deserves better, someone I would be proud to do business with.

Andy, my country comes first, not the Democrat party. Having said that, I believe that the Democratic Party has just kicked away the best candidate and our best chance to redeem our country, Hillary Clinton, a proven centrist. Given his resume, or should I say the lack of one, he is either ineffective or hiding something, neither answer gives me the warm and fuzzies. If she is chosen in Denver, you can count on my full and enthusiastic support. Until then,

Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
The electorate is confused and they don't know Obama. At our last Democratic precinct meeting only 4 of 29 present were committed to Obama. Our precinct went heavily for Hillary in the primary and now many don't feel they know enough about Obama to vote for him.

I think your right, they do not know him yet.
Ronald Reagan was in similar situation until a few weeks before election. I think most people feel little pressure to decide now. Obama trip and other speeches have been getting people familiar with him. He soon needs to start detailing his plans. Once the debates start people will be able to make a clearer distinction.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 AM

9,394 posts, read 14,345,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
He soon needs to start detailing his plans. Once the debates start people will be able to make a clearer distinction.
Both Obama and McCain will continue running this country into the ground through a continuation of its suicidal monetary policy.

One of the few saving graces is low federal taxation, at least some will survive the mass inflation that is inevitable through real productive work that adds real value to the economy (no, you cannot beat inflation simply by being a home debtor).

I would vote for Obama if he swears in a crowed football stadium and on national television, on the souls of his children, that he will not raise taxes, regardless of any pressure by, eventually, a democrat-controlled Congress.

Any chance he'll do that? Yeah, McCain waffles, but at least he seems to be doing that.

Suicidal monetary policy, punishing inflation, and higher taxes would snuff out any remaining incentive to do real productive work in this country, without playing the evasion game, I know I've seen this film before in different theaters.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,123,618 times
Obama keeps shooting himself in the foot.

He backed out of visiting wounded troops and got hammered for it

Now he's played the race card and even CNN is calling it race baiting!

He isn't going to win the undecided vote by doing those things!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,979,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
Now he's played the race card and even CNN is calling it race baiting!

He isn't going to win the undecided vote by doing those things!
Well, I have to disagree with you. I think this is exactly how many undecided votes will be won.

Was there baiting going on? Yes, I think so. And the fish was hooked. Obama got McCain to say, in a very offended tone: "Race will play no part in my campaign." Oh, ho, ho McCain is going to regret having said that, and especially because he said it so emphatically. Read on, if you want to know why.

And because this is a news story, the network get to run it over and over and over and over and over... along with the clips of Obama's speech that begins "they're trying to scare you."

Now, why is this going to lure the undecided voters?

I'm glad you asked! Here's the thing:

1. This battle is all about the undecided voter. People who have already decided don't really matter. It's a given that pro-Obama people and pro-McCain people will see these clips differently, and are not about to change their votes based on this issue. So nobody cares about them at this point.

2. The media gets a field day. They get to play the clips over and over--and at the same time act shocked and offended by it all. Since there isn't much news going on right now, they're eating it up.

3. Now... take an objective look at the clips the major news networks are playing. Seriously--try to be objective. Try to see this from the eye of undecided voters, and think about who the audience is.

The undecided voters who watch the news will tend to be intelligent people who like to think for themselves. A lot of the people who are home watching tv right now are young people who are out of school for the summer. A lot of young professionals in this mix, too. These voters will see clips that make Obama look cool, collected, and like someone you want to listen to. McCain does not come off looking all that good--he looks good to his loyal followers, perhaps, but not to the undecided voter.

4. This whole thing has special appeal to college students. This whole thing just revs them up, makes them excited about voting again. Which is important because college students sometimes don't bother to go to the voting booths. And I hate to break it to you, but they are more likely to vote for Obama.

5. Most importantly, airing McCain's statement "Race will play no part in my campaign" now cuts him off from quite a bit of his strategy. Of course he intended to play the race card--towards the end of the campaign, of course, when smear tactics play the most effectively. Now he has shot that strategy to pieces--unless, of course, he wants to risk being accused of a major flip flop.

McCain's biggest mistake? He included his campaign in the statement. He should have said something more personal like "I will never make a racial remark." Then his campaign could have gotten away with all sorts of nonsense (while McCain himself remains pure).

But nooooo... he got ticked off and in anger he said more than he should have. Yup, he was baited all right. And the fish was hooked!

Last edited by normie; 08-01-2008 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Well,

Was there baiting going on? Yes, I think so. And the fish was hooked. Obama got McCain to say, in a very offended tone: "Race will play no part in my campaign." Oh, ho, ho McCain is going to regret having said that, and especially because he said it so emphatically. Read on, if you want to know why.
I think you are right, Obama, McCain & his Bush staff will now all be held accountable for each time they bring this issue up. I'm sure the Bush staff has it in its plans, will now have to think twice about using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections