Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:45 PM

18,335 posts, read 26,592,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
This ad was not put out by "Obama and his team", but by an environmental group dedicated to preserving our environment, rather than exploitation. There are many of us that share this sentiment; some even Republicans. Discount the size of this group at your own peril. What a buffoon!
No they aren't, they're just a bunch of emotional looney toons. Scientists who actually know what they're doing and base decisions on science not emotions, have concluded the wolf population is too large and are trying to protect the environment from the damage an overpopulation of wolves will bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:48 PM

389 posts, read 1,098,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
And before you bother protesting, they're not endangered in Alaska. They're overpopulating in Alaska.
International Wolf Center Intermediate Info - Are Wolves Endangered (http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/intermed/inter_mgmt/endangered.asp - broken link)
Where in that link does it state they're overpopulating Alaska?

Alaska is 656,424 sq mi large with an estimated 7,700-11,200 wolves. How is that overpopulation?

Also, wolves aren't the reason that the moose/deer population is dwindling. It's loss of habitat.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:48 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,496,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Or people in Anchorage...
We have a coyote problem here and they will kill them from the air after prompting of ranchers and the killing of livestock and other animals.
We also have had a small issue with wolves moving in as well.
When you have these animals coming into your area and they start killing your pets, attack your children well then you might feel different.
It is a last resort to shoot them from the air.......

Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
We have a coyote problem here and they will kill them from the air after prompting of ranchers and the killing of livestock and other animals.
We also have had a small issue with wolves moving in as well.
When you have these animals coming into your area and they start killing your pets, attack your children well then you might feel different.
It is a last resort to shoot them from the air.......
I was referring to relatively recent wolf attacks on people around the area of Anchorage.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:50 PM

29,917 posts, read 39,562,147 times
Public attitudes toward wolf management, and wolf control in particular, are based on deeply held values. Conflicts between people with divergent values have fueled the controversy for decades, and I expect this will not change. Some people and organizations have no desire to understand and accept the values of others on this issue. This conflict of values makes setting wildlife policy difficult.

Most Alaskans are proud that we have large and healthy wolf populations, and many recognize that we have a special responsibility to manage wolves to ensure their continued abundance. Wolves do have an impact on moose and caribou populations, and this impact, in combination with factors such as severe winter weather or bear predation, can depress moose and caribou populations to very low levels leaving little harvestable surplus for humans.

Man has the ability to influence this system by reducing wolf populations and allowing ungulate populations to recover from depressed levels. The controversy centers on whether — or when and how — it is appropriate for man to decrease wolf numbers to increase ungulate harvests.

Historic Perspective of Wolf Management in Alaska, Alaska Department of Fish and Game Videos

Old 09-12-2008, 02:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,280,869 times
Quote:
No they aren't, they're just a bunch of emotional looney toons. Scientists who actually know what they're doing and base decisions on science not emotions, have concluded the wolf population is too large and are trying to protect the environment from the damage an overpopulation of wolves will bring.
Becareful common sense is banned on this topic.
Don't drill for oil because it may impact the environment. Don't thin the wolf population even though its damaging the environment.
Women deserve equal respect to men but not Palin because she is the wrong kind of woman.
Don't judge or question a teen mother's decision making but slam Palins daughter because she is Palins daughter
Drug addicts are not at fault its society who is at fault. Unless of course you come from a non-liberal family.
The chosen family of Camelot has had nothing but problems with the law, drug and alcohol abuse but don't bring that up because they are victims.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
Where in that link does it state they're overpopulating Alaska?

Alaska is 656,424 sq mi large with an estimated 7,700-11,200 wolves. How is that overpopulation?

Also, wolves aren't the reason that the moose/deer population is dwindling. It's loss of habitat.
You are simply so wrong. Talk with the AK Fish and Game people about wolves. They're overpopulated in certain areas, not statewide. Those areas where the problem is severe is where the predator control takes place. Loss of habitat isn't an issue yet in Alaska for the most part, seeing as how less than 1 percent of the land is privately owned and available for development...

Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,743,160 times
Quote:
Seems to me that I learned early on in a biology class that nature has a way of dealing with overpopulation of a species. Excess prey usually results in addtional preditors, and excess preditors die off when there is insufficent prey. Over time, given no outside interference, the balance is restored. Many environmentalists are opposed to outside intervention. This too is science, not emotion. But nice try!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 PM

857 posts, read 2,007,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I guess you plan to eliminate yourself and your family for the sake of the wolves...
Why should I? I'm perfectly comfortable with the amount of wildlife where I live. If I ever feel like there is too many wolves, bees, bears, etc. for me to live comfortably, I'll just have to move somewhere else, rather than try to change nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Do you have any objective idea at all what happens when a predatorial species becomes overpopulated? This is for the BETTERMENT of wolves as a whole. It may sound illogical on the outside, but do a little research. No offense, because I know the practice sounds very harsh to the uninformed. For the record, I do not own a gun but I do enjoy wildlife and nature.
yeah I know what you're saying, but this is rarely the case. I live in NJ where they try this garbage every year w/ the black bear population. Who do you think is lobbying for the hunting restrictions on bears? NEVER any biologists, environmentalists, or scientists with environmental concerns. ALWAYS a bunch of gun-toting rednecks foaming at the mouth to get a chance to put a giant stuffed bear in their already tacky living room next to the fish that sings every time you walk past it.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:54 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,429,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
...excess preditors die off when there is insufficent prey. ...
Right. They starve to death. That's more natural and humane.

Good God there's no pleasing you people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections