Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,737,412 times

Advertisements

I was intrigued by her speech last night, so I did a little research. Interesting results.

The Democratic Party | Carly Fiorina

SodaHead: Why Is Carly Fiorina McCain's Favorite CEO? | Stacey A. Ward ~ No McCain!'s Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,737,412 times
In light of today's unemployment numbers, it is time to get serious and start talking about the economy. Enough with the hair and clothes and the kids: there are real issues that need to be addressed by both candidates.
This really ISN'T American Idol folks.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:15 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,885,550 times
Unfortunately outsourcing, illegal immigration and lifting caps on H1B and L1 visas is a bi partisn screwing of working America. Both candidates are in the pockets of corporate America same as Phamecuticals, oil and other rich special interests

Old 09-05-2008, 09:24 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,589,568 times
They dont call him McSame for nothing.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,995,455 times
Careful, there is a difference between "jobless" and "unemployed" rates.

Since the 60s they have been changing how the numbers are calculated, so it is very difficult to do an apples to apples comparison.

One example off the top of my head is that the Clinton administartion (and one of Obama's current Economic advisors) and his Labor Secretary Robert Reich changed the unemployment calculation to make the numbers look better. They changed the sample size of the study from 60k o 50k participants, and the majority of those 10k people that they cut were from inner cities. Apparently this is the kind of "change" that Obama will bring if elected.

Here is an interesting read with more details:
Philip Greenspun’s Weblog » Cooking GDP, Unemployment, and Inflation numbers

Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 AM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
It cannot be overstated how carefully we need to examine the sort of folks GOP candidates surround themselves with. For some reason, they give power to very dangerous individuals.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 AM

266 posts, read 402,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It cannot be overstated how carefully we need to examine the sort of folks GOP candidates surround themselves with. For some reason, they give power to very dangerous individuals.
Obama is senator in one of the most corrupt states in the US, Chicago and Mayor Daley. I'm sure those to have been in the cigar parlor more than once.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by small arms View Post
Obama is senator in one of the most corrupt states in the US, Chicago and Mayor Daley. I'm sure those to have been in the cigar parlor more than once.
The Cigar Parlor? Excuse me, the White House under GWB has become a cigar parlor run by oil men and religious extremists. I'm sorry, but McCain talks about change but he is part of the problem.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,995,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Did you not see my post above yours? Im not making excuses for the GOP because I feel the same way about them too...but that one example above shows that both parties are doing the same sort of thing.

How do you justify changing the calculations for unemployment the way that Reich and Clinton did...and then Obama looks to that man to be an advisor to him? How is that not being questioned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections