Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 AM

495 posts, read 749,635 times

Advertisements

Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin hit a home run among Republican delegates with her 40 minute-plus acceptance speech.
It remains to be seen how the rest of the country will view it.

Here’s a link to the entire speech:

Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:16 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,197,496 times
I missed it on purpose.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,958,841 times
I only saw a few minutes of it but it was hard to hear her since her voice was muffled from her head being up Mccain's a**.

Why must these conventions be about the candidates themselves and not what they can do about the country? It sounded like she as trying to hook Mccain up with one of her gal pals as opposed to propping up his stances and views. These conventions...on both sides...are such garbage.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,902,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive25 View Post
Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin hit a home run among Republican delegates with her 40 minute-plus acceptance speech.
It remains to be seen how the rest of the country will view it.

Here’s a link to the entire speech:

Video
Very impressed with her speech! She is a strong woman! The Obama camapaign is running scared.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 AM

552 posts, read 1,075,471 times
I can't bring myself to watch it and I'm only 5 minutes into the speech (which is more like 1 and a half minutes, as most of the "plus" part of your "40 minute-plus" speech is mindless applause). Her voice is obnoxious, maybe I'll read a transcript if I find one.

I'm sure it was mostly filled with slander, lies and emotion pandering.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,021,819 times
Since Alaska derives almost all its income from polluting gas and oil, she promoted that, as expected. She offered no solutions to problems nor did she attribute them to the cause, the current Republican administration's terrible policies (which McCain't supported).
She lied about Obama raising taxes on people. He will actually reduce income taxes for the majority of Americans. Only if you make more than $250,000 will you get a tax increase.
She lied about Obama's taxes on business, making the blanket comment that he will raise taxes on business. He said he will lower taxes on businesses that create jobs, small businesses, and startups. He will penalize companies who export jobs to other countries.
She did not mention health care at all, or the mortgage crisis, that I can remember.

Palin, when she was mayor, inhereted a balanced economy, but left it in debt when she went on for higher office.

The speech was primarily negative, as the entire McCain't campaign has been.

She said victory in Iraq is almost in sight, but never told what criteria we would need to constitute 'victory'. Terrorism is not ended. Bin Ladin is not captured.

The Rep party ridiculed Obama for saying we should negotiate before war. War is much harder to recover from, the expense is horrendous, and innocent people die.
Any class for police, lawyers, etc, always instruct negotiation before violence.

She ridiculed community workers, while these people are helping people get jobs, keep their houses, get medical treatment, etc.

She prided herself for her ability to handle finances in her state, but Alaska gets a portion of the profits from oil and gas which gets put into a slush fund. That grew so large that every citizen now gets a stipend from the fund, just for living there for eleven months. With that amount of money available to the state, it would be hard to not have the budget balanced, I would think.
Oh, the federal government also sends some of our tax money to Alaska.

She paraded her family on the stage at the end, including the Down infant.
She said such nice things about her husband, but predictibly did not mention that he belonged to another political party.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,021,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Very impressed with her speech! She is a strong woman!
She is predictably tough. Anyone who heard of all the people she fired in her government and all who she tried to fire would also call her cold and heartless.

She has a very cute facade and homey delivery, but I think it's the cultivated beauty pageant persona that has served her well in the past. I think she's an opportunist and some of the things I hear about that she did as governor make her sound like a tyrant and decidedly unAmerican.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
I can't bring myself to watch it and I'm only 5 minutes into the speech (which is more like 1 and a half minutes, as most of the "plus" part of your "40 minute-plus" speech is mindless applause). Her voice is obnoxious, maybe I'll read a transcript if I find one.

I'm sure it was mostly filled with slander, lies and emotion pandering.
Are you describing Meechelle Obama?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

She has a very cute facade and homey delivery, but I think it's the cultivated beauty pageant persona that has served her well in the past. I think she's an opportunist and some of the things I hear about that she did as governor make her sound like a tyrant and decidedly unAmerican.
Wow, just wow. Change your words slightly and you have described Obama.
See the minor changes below.

He has a very cute facade and homey delivery, but I think it's the cultivated community organizer persona that has served him well in the past. I think she's an opportunist and some of the things I hear about that he did, such as having a 20 year realtionship with a racist mentor, makes him look like he has a lack of judgment and decidedly unAmerican.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,677,608 times
I'm not voting for McCain, but I'll give credit where it's due. That was a great, rousing, energetic speech. She put the media in its place, she focused on the importance of integrity and leadership, and she jammed the "inexperience" complaint right down Obama's throat. You don't have to agree with her views to appreciate a great speech.

It still makes me laugh how the so-called "liberals" are throwing the nastiest, most sexist remarks at her. But you know what? Give me a choice between Hillary and Palin, and I'd take Palin in a heartbeat. She's genuine. She's feisty. She has conviction. She's the small-town girl with heartland values, and that resonates with a LOT more people, because she seems genuine and they can relate to her. She's not scripted. She's not PC. She's not some big-city lawyer who sneers at "flyover country" and thinks government knows best.

I stand by what I said: McCain picked a great running mate. Unfortunately, I don't support today's GOP. I don't believe in running up tabs for future generations, I don't believe drilling is the answer to our energy problems, I don't believe in a war that does nothing to solve the root causes of 9/11, and I don't believe trampling on the Bill of Rights in the name of fighting terrorism is OK. Plus, her claims that the GOP believes in smaller government is laughable, but I understand she has to toe the party line. So she won't be my candidate, but I honestly think Republicans have a lot to be proud of with this lady.

Last edited by Adrian71; 09-04-2008 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections