Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:20 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times

Advertisements

JERUSALEM — A written prayer that Barack Obama left this week in the cracks of the Western Wall, Judaism's holiest site, asks God to guide him and guard his family, an Israeli newspaper reported Friday.
"Lord — Protect my family and me," reads the note published in the Maariv daily. "Forgive me my sins, and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will."
The paper's decision to make the note public drew fire. The rabbi in charge of the Western Wall, Shmuel Rabinovitz, said publishing the note intruded in Obama's relationship with God.
"The notes placed between the stones of the Western Wall are between a person and his maker. It is forbidden to read them or make any use of them," he told Army Radio. The publication "damages the Western Wall and damages the personal, deep part of every one of us that we keep to ourselves," he said.
Another Israeli paper, Yediot Ahronot, published an article Friday saying it had also obtained the note but decided not to publish it to respect Obama's privacy.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20080725/Israel.Obama_s.Note/ (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Regardless of how you feel about Obama, I think we can all agree that should not have been done. Prayers placed in the wailing wall/western wall should be private.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Wow. How incredible for someone to publish a private prayer between someone and God. It's not a matter of "should be private" - they are private!

Callous

...and I'm working on a few more.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:09 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Is he Jewish now, since he prayed at the wall?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:11 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
JERUSALEM — A written prayer that Barack Obama left this week in the cracks of the Western Wall, Judaism's holiest site, asks God to guide him and guard his family, an Israeli newspaper reported Friday.
"Lord — Protect my family and me," reads the note published in the Maariv daily. "Forgive me my sins, and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will."
The paper's decision to make the note public drew fire. The rabbi in charge of the Western Wall, Shmuel Rabinovitz, said publishing the note intruded in Obama's relationship with God.
"The notes placed between the stones of the Western Wall are between a person and his maker. It is forbidden to read them or make any use of them," he told Army Radio. The publication "damages the Western Wall and damages the personal, deep part of every one of us that we keep to ourselves," he said.
Another Israeli paper, Yediot Ahronot, published an article Friday saying it had also obtained the note but decided not to publish it to respect Obama's privacy.

Politics News - Israeli paper publishes Obama Western Wall prayer (broken link)
What a powerful Christian prayer.. but i don't believe Obama wrote it because he is a secret muslim.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:14 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
What a powerful Christian prayer.. but i don't believe Obama wrote it because he is a secret muslim.

Not only that, I bet he got those words off a secret teleprompter. Yeah, that must be it.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is he Jewish now, since he prayed at the wall?
Why? Are you asserting only Jewish folks can pray at the Wall?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I've never believed he was a muslim and even if he is, not all muslims are evil just as all christians, jews, etc. aren't.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:50 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
do you really, really, really think that he did not know it would not have been read and then plastered
online??
right, humility is something obama knows nothing about.
it is all about show, I can not get over how folks fall for this guy

Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
do you really, really, really think that he did not know it would not have been read and then plastered
online??
right, humility is something obama knows nothing about.
it is all about show, I can not get over how folks fall for this guy
Umm..OK.

How would you respond if your pastor told everyone what you discussed with him?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections