Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 05:00 AM
mga mga started this thread

230 posts, read 398,178 times

Advertisements

interesting twist here. for years the left has critisized bush's faith based initiatives, claiming a gross violation of CSS issues (church/state separation) and now obama is courting the religious right stating he will encourage even more faith based programs.

my my...what a twist, or, is the real obama coming out as we near the election dates?

Obama courts evangelicals with stress on faith

Quote:
By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

ZANESVILLE, Ohio (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama promised a more active approach to faith-based social programs on Tuesday in a bid to bolster his support among evangelical and religious voters.

Obama visited a community ministry in a conservative region of the election battleground state of Ohio to unveil a plan to reinvigorate faith-based community programs first pioneered by President George W. Bush.

The Illinois senator, who will face Republican John McCain in November's presidential election, said he would put more money and emphasis on strengthening the link between government and community faith programs.
Obama courts evangelicals with stress on faith | Reuters

gotta love obama's flip-flopping, but better yet, you gotta love the way he's been bull****ting the left all this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:46 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,817,959 times
Sounds like he's baiting them to start clinging to their religion.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,216,265 times
There are already two threads about this from yesterday.

OMG he's not "courting the religious right," although it's a true that the religious right hogged the money of and distorted the ideological goals of FBIs. Though under the Bush Admin that may have been a significant part of the plan - to pay back the evangelical base.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
There are already two threads about this from yesterday.

OMG he's not "courting the religious right," although it's a true that the religious right hogged the money of and distorted the ideological goals of FBIs. Though under the Bush Admin that may have been a significant part of the plan - to pay back the evangelical base.
i looked for another thread, but, obviously, not hard enough. my bad for posting yet another.

however, there have been numerous remarks over the years about bush doing the exact same thing. the left has critisized bush over this to no end, now, when obama is going to do it...and, take it several steps further, i guess the left doesn't have a problem with it afterall. watch and see where obama places reverend wright and pastor pfleger once elected...don't be surprised to see one or both placed in some "advisory" position.

as an atheist myself, i believe in CSS, but i know it'll never be 100%. i'm also a conservative, but only in the political sense. obama recently has been leaning more and more towards the right on many issues and the left is in for a big surprise if he gets elected. he still won't be able to get my vote.

as we witnessed in 2006, the democrats did nothing that they falsley led the american people into thinking they were going to do once elected. no war ended, no impeachments, no major investigations, nothing. the exact same scenario is taking place now and those on the democrat side are too politically/emotionally blind to see it.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,420,031 times
He's Panderiffic!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,216,265 times
The Washington Post reports Obama "proposed strengthening the White House program assisting faith-based social service organization Tuesday, while insisting that those groups not discriminate against aid recipients or aid workers." Obama's "proposal for a $500 million-a-year Council for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships would also create 1 million slots for summer jobs and education programs."
He "signaled he would not fund church groups that make hiring decisions based on an applicant's religion and would make sure federal money was not used to proselytize. He also echoed critiques from two ex-officials of Bush's Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives who had charged that it was exploited for partisan purposes -- to build GOP support in battleground states -- and served as a convenient 'photo-op.'"

USNews.com: Political Bulletin: Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sounds okay so far. Hope he'll cut some of the cost down.

Now all the hogs that have been feeding at that trough are going to complain and moan and snark and snipe, so get ready to recognize that for what it is when you see it.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Obama's "proposal for a $500 million-a-year Council for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships would also create 1 million slots for summer jobs and education programs."

i call BS on this one.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,446,964 times
Will the Real Obama (TM) please stand up?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Will the Real Obama (TM) please stand up?
you'll find out in 2009 and you're not going to like what you got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections