Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,831,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
How long has it been since Iran has attacked another country? Anyone?
Our embassy during the Carter admin. Iraq all throughout the 80s. They're heavily involved today in exporting money and arms to Hezbollah and extremists killing Americans in Iraq. They regularly call for the extermination of Israel. As late as last year they captured 15 British sailors.

Just a tiny misunderstood threat. . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,362,057 times
Cut them all some slack. McCain, Clinton, and Obama have been putting in insane hours for months, and "mis-speaks" are pretty common among candidates.

About Obama pandering to the Jewish community: That's not really it. Jews don't all speak with one voice, and a lot of American Jews don't agree with AIPAC's views, which has generally been to take the side of Israel's Likud party, the hardliners.
But AIPAC is hugely influential and well financed and they give the impression that they represent the views of the Jewish community. Maybe some, but they don't even represent the views of most Israeli Jews, let alone American.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:33 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,894,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
Anyone with a brain knows he meant 47 states.
OK, so you're correct and he meant 47 states. Two more would mean he is still short one.... Doesn't this country still have 50 states?
Get on your knees every night and pray that Jr high school loon doesn't get into office. With all of his baggage, it most likely won't happen...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:34 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,170,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Days, maybe? Hezbollah has been quiet in Lebanon for a couple of weeks and Hamas hasn't been in the news lately. Who knows how many weapons they have trasferred over to Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon recently.
Oh, so when you start naming terror groups that we claim they support, does it mean that we've attacked Iran when the MEK bombs one of their government officials? We protect them. They're the new Mujahadeen. Remember them from Afghanistan? They helped us bankrupt the Soviet Union.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Our embassy during the Carter admin. Iraq all throughout the 80s. They're heavily involved today in exporting money and arms to Hezbollah and extremists killing Americans in Iraq. They regularly call for the extermination of Israel. As late as last year they captured 15 British sailors.

Just a tiny misunderstood threat. . . .
Quote:
The war began when Iraq invaded Iran on 22 September 1980 following a long history of border disputes and fears of Shia insurgency among Iraq's long suppressed Shia majority influenced by Iran's Islamic revolution.
Sorry, Iraq attacked Iran first. History, it means something.

Our CIA was involved in 1953 with the overthrow of the Sha. That lead to them capturing our people. The British were in their waters and released them all after a little chest thumping. We call for the extermination of Iran. Aren't we just as bad?

You keep poking the bee hive, you're gonna get stung.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,831,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Cut them all some slack. McCain, Clinton, and Obama have been putting in insane hours for months, and "mis-speaks" are pretty common among candidates.

About Obama pandering to the Jewish community: That's not really it. Jews don't all speak with one voice, and a lot of American Jews don't agree with AIPAC's views, which has generally been to take the side of Israel's Likud party, the hardliners.
But AIPAC is hugely influential and well financed and they give the impression that they represent the views of the Jewish community. Maybe some, but they don't even represent the views of most Israeli Jews, let alone American.
Obama seemed to be quite concerned wrt his perception among the Jewish community. Do you have any insight? Is Iran a large issue with American Jews? Obama perceived as weak?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM

385 posts, read 627,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
OK, so you're correct and he meant 47 states. Two more would mean he is still short one.... Doesn't this country still have 50 states?
Get on your knees every night and pray that Jr high school loon doesn't get into office. With all of his baggage, it most likely won't happen...
Ok here we go. Let's do simple math for everyone:
47 states visited + 2 states (Alaska & Hawaii unvisited due to specific reasons - he wanted to go but his staff couldn't justify it) + 1 state still unvisited at the time of the speech but scheduled to be visited at a later time. I believe Florida was unvisited at the time of the speech.
What's so hard to understand about all this?

I hope and pray he does get elected. I'm not only going to leave it up to faith though. I'm also going to spend my time, money, and energy to ensure he gets elected. I think he will create a better America and better world overall.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Obama seemed to be quite concerned wrt his perception among the Jewish community. Do you have any insight? Is Iran a large issue with American Jews? Obama perceived as weak?
He's appeared at AIPAC meetings before to remind them that he loves the Jews.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
Ok here we go. Let's do simple math for everyone:
47 states visited + 2 states (Alaska & Hawaii unvisited due to specific reasons - he wanted to go but his staff couldn't justify it) + 1 state still unvisited at the time of the speech but scheduled to be visited at a later time. I believe Florida was unvisited at the time of the speech.
What's so hard to understand about all this?

I hope and pray he does get elected. I'm not only going to leave it up to faith though. I'm also going to spend my time, money, and energy to ensure he gets elected. I think he will create a better America and better world overall.
That's a lot of wrangling to cover a misspoken moment. Bush did it all in 16 words. I despise Bush.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Yes mis-speaks doomed the Clinton campaign, I mean how many can really think that Ferraro is/was a racists and Clinton would be stupid enough to say some of the stuff that she was accused of saying due to words being twisted.

That being said, there is a huge difference between one week wanting to sit down and talk with Iran, and a week later wanting to bomb them. You cant mis-speak something that massive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections