Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Quote:
While Washington's attention has been fixed elsewhere, military analysts have watched with astonishment as the Iraqi government and army have gained control for the first time of the port city of Basra and the sprawling Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City, routing the Shiite militias that have ruled them for years and sending key militants scurrying to Iran.
Well worth reading, especially to all you Obama supporters. This could be his downfall.

Quote:
Still, the likely Democratic nominee needs a plan for Iraq based on sustaining an improving situation, rather than abandoning a failed enterprise.
Dang! Don't tell him this! I want to hear him continue through the fall campaign with the mantra "We have lost".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
Thumbs up Don't look now, but the U.S.-backed government and army may be winning the war

Outstanding!

It's way past time for them to pull their own weight. Since they're standing up, we can now start standing down. Let's begin withdrawing our troops before July 4th.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
The one question at the end of the day that will ultimately crush the GOP on this issue is:

"Was it worth it?"

Most Americans are now well versed enough on this issue to answer emphatically, NO.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
edit - hm, I tried your link but it only went to the front page. I found the story and tried linking to that but it too translated to only the front page. Hmm.

As for the news - wonderful, hope it continues! I cant wait to see Obama's plans for managing post-war.

Hugely exciting.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-02-2008 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: updating re link

Old 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,170,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Outstanding!

It's way past time for them to pull their own weight. Since they're standing up, we can now start standing down. Let's begin withdrawing our troops before July 4th.
It's going so well, we can't leave now!

Basra, Isn't that where the British pulled out of the city and hunkered down in the airport?

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
And in today's Iraq, even moderate Shiite clergy view themselves as protectors of the nation's Islamic identity, ensuring that Basra might never fully regain its freewheeling, secular past.

For now, though, a collective sense of relief is washing over this sprawling port city, which sits at the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.
That sounds like Democracy to me. It's only a matter of time before we find ourselves fighting the Shiites too.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The one question at the end of the day that will ultimately crush the GOP on this issue is:

"Was it worth it?"

Most Americans are now well versed enough on this issue to answer emphatically, NO.

YouTube - GOP Candidates on the Iraq War

Old 06-02-2008, 03:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Oh, I think you will be surprised. Americans like to win, not lose.

Remember when the war first started? 70% or something like that approved of the war. Not until it started to go bad did the electorate start dissapproving. Remember?

Now that things are going well, and IF the liberal MSM starts reporting it, I think you will see a different attitude. We shall see, won't we?

And I do believe the Generals will start pulling troops out soon.

See, the left's strategy is to get the troops out asap, which by all accounts would be disastrous, then they can TRULY say we were defeated and it was a failure. You can't say that now, even though you'd like to try.

This victory will be SOLELY a republican one.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,766,708 times
Ron Paul clearly the only one with any sense.

The war was still a mistake and we fought it for oil, bottom line.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,439,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Well worth reading, especially to all you Obama supporters. This could be his downfall.

Dang! Don't tell him this! I want to hear him continue through the fall campaign with the mantra "We have lost".
Tell that to the 4086 Americans that have died in Iraq because of your lying Republican president and his buddies. I'm sure they'll feel much better.

iCasualties: Iraq Coalition Casualty Count (http://icasualties.org/oif/ - broken link)

Last edited by Upton; 06-02-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh, I think you will be surprised. Americans like to win, not lose.

Remember when the war first started? 70% or something like that approved of the war. Not until it started to go bad did the electorate start dissapproving. Remember?

Now that things are going well, and IF the liberal MSM starts reporting it, I think you will see a different attitude. We shall see, won't we?

And I do believe the Generals will start pulling troops out soon.

See, the left's strategy is to get the troops out asap, which by all accounts would be disastrous, then they can TRULY say we were defeated and it was a failure. You can't say that now, even though you'd like to try.

This victory will be SOLELY a republican one.
I remember people turning against it when they realized it wasn't going to be a 6 month deal, that the oil was not going to pay for it, that too many troops were dying for what was an ill-intentioned, misguided war against a country that had no viable means of attacking the US. If that's what you mean by, "go bad", then yes, I guess it was the time it starting going badly for you.

Who would we surrender to? Where will they sign that document?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections