Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:40 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,737,763 times

Advertisements

General News - Obama warns seniors on Social Security (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 09:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
I thought he just was complaining about fear mongering? Now he bring up the old democratic ploy when they fear teh are losing ground.Doubt anyone with any sense is going to listen;especailly after Bush delivered on prescription drugs after years of democratic promises.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:10 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,617,990 times
Obama could care less about seniors. He only cares about the poor and blacks. If it were up to him he would take away from those seniors and give it away to those who either wont work or blame others on their being losers all their lives.
When Obama was asked how he would fix the SS shortfall what did he say? We need to raise the ss age to 75.
Sorry Obama, wrong answer. What we need is for younger lazy butts to work and pay into the system instead of taking out of the system.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM

403 posts, read 749,370 times
What a shame. Obama original position was right---retirment age needs to be increased along with cutting benefits and etc. Of course, he still wouldn't talk about reforming the entire system(asking too much from democrats). This was of course 15 months ago, then obama realized he couldn't win the election without seniors and thus enter obama-keep-all-welfare-program. Still, Seniors don't vote for him and most of the young voters(obama supporters) are in favor of social security reform(if not end of the sytem then at least some individual accounts) and its time for Obama to return back to this original position and stop this pandering to special interest coaltion on social security.

Social security = Theft

Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,821,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post

Social security = Theft
EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!! Since my husband and I each payed into the Social Security system for over 40 years at the maximum rate, I have a little problem with young people who don't want to pay calling it theft when we get our rightfully paid for benefits. And by the way, he died 5 weeks after turning 65 and collecting one SS benefit check. He also cost the Medicare $0 since his death was sudden and at home.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:06 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!! Since my husband and I each payed into the Social Security system for over 40 years at the maximum rate, I have a little problem with young people who don't want to pay calling it theft when we get our rightfully paid for benefits. And by the way, he died 5 weeks after turning 65 and collecting one SS benefit check. He also cost the Medicare $0 since his death was sudden and at home.
Sorry, but I have to agree that Social Security is theft. It is legalized theft by the federal government. The corporate heads at Enron who ended up scamming their employees out of their retirement investments were convicted and sent to jail. Not so the politicians who, for 70 years, have been spending the people's social security contributions instead of investing them wisely. Had every dime contirbuted into the system been invested at 4% per annum it would not only be solvent but most people would have an accumulated nest egg that approached a million dollars. It's theft alright and the crooks just keep getting away with it.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:12 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
The theft was the government taking your money not you getting it back. You probably could have got a much better return on it using your own investment means. You may have actually been able to do some things that you always wanted to before your husband died also with that money. The theft was perpetrated on you and your husband by your government.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:18 PM

102 posts, read 54,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Obama could care less about seniors. He only cares about the poor and blacks. If it were up to him he would take away from those seniors and give it away to those who either wont work or blame others on their being losers all their lives.
When Obama was asked how he would fix the SS shortfall what did he say? We need to raise the ss age to 75.
Sorry Obama, wrong answer. What we need is for younger lazy butts to work and pay into the system instead of taking out of the system.
You blow off nothing but hot air. I thought it was Hillary who cared about the "poor" and that Obama was too elitist for that. You can't have it both ways. PLUS he says, and I believe him, he will not tax social security for seniors making under $50,000.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM

403 posts, read 749,370 times
Look, I think we need to reform(if not abolish) social security. Aside from the theft issue, I hope the people(who support social security) would consider the fact that young people never voted for this social contract(social security and medicare). Hell, we weren't born. The whole notion of pushing a social contract without a vote on someone, who wasn't even born is simply anti-liberal. Aside from the 'individual principle', on which I oppose social security, the program of social security fails even the basic democratic principle, which is so dear to the left. How can you impose a system on a entire generation, who didn't even exist at the time to vote on that measure?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,821,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Sorry, but I have to agree that Social Security is theft. It is legalized theft by the federal government. The corporate heads at Enron who ended up scamming their employees out of their retirement investments were convicted and sent to jail. Not so the politicians who, for 70 years, have been spending the people's social security contributions instead of investing them wisely. Had every dime contirbuted into the system been invested at 4% per annum it would not only be solvent but most people would have an accumulated nest egg that approached a million dollars. It's theft alright and the crooks just keep getting away with it.
You are so right, but unfortunately most young people don't understand that seniors have paid into the system for many years and aren't particularly interested in working when they are 75. Quite frankly the Social Security shortfall is due to a combination of several factors. Obviously the one you mention is the most important. When SS was established, it was supposed to be a trust fund and the money was not supposed to be touched. I'm sure that someone here can give the date (was it in the 70's or 80's), but the government decided that the money was just too appealing and they started taking it out for something other than paying benefits. If the Federal government had kept their mits off my money, there wouldn't be a shortfall.
In addition the program was expanded to pay benefits to people who had not contributed. I know personally that it was also expanded to pay benefits longer to dependents than was the original plan. Now a dependent can collect benefits until they are 25 (I believe - maybe longer) as long as they are still in school, whereas in the original plan benefits were stopped in January of the year the dependent turned 18 even if the dependent was still in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections