Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times

Advertisements

Is your choice of pastor more important than your choice of spouse? I have listened to all this rhetoric for weeks now about the pastor problem. People choose to remain in relationships or leave them for a variety of personal reasons. Barack Obama is being raked over the coals for "staying" with a pastor, but if you were to raise the question of judgement of why Hillary "stayed" with Bill or why John McCain "cheated' on his wife, suddenly that is a personal relationship that holds no bearing on the election. This is nonsense. They are all carrying personal decisions that they made in the past. Hillary said you have a choice and her choice was to stay with a man who was 90 percent what she wanted and needed, Barack stayed with a church that was 90 percent what he wanted and needed, John McCain left a family behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
If one is religious or claims to be, then the choice of church and pastor is very important. Personally, I feel that ones choice of spouse is a bit more important, but if one is very religious, then I believe for many, their choice of pastor could be equally or more important. For instance, some people will only marry another church member.

But at the very least a choice of pastor is on the same level as choosing ones best or close friends.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Choice of pastor? Not so much. Choice in mentor? Very, very important.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Being Catholic, we tend to be assigned to a diocese and parish and our priests are chosen for us. Our priests are reassigned on a regular basis, and we do not follow them. The message does not change with each priest, it is universal.

My father was Reformed Puritan, and he knew his pastor, but they were not close friends, but the pastor married my grandparents and baptised my dad and his siblings, but that did not make a relationship, he was the person who did the ceremonies.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:04 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,946 times
Well, now it all depends on how you look at it. I personally think Obama made a poor decision choosing both his pastor and his spouse. They are two peas in a pod with their white people and America hating. People get married for different reasons and marriages evolve over time. What works for Hill and Bill may not work for you but who are you to say she was wrong to stay? The same way it's not for me to judge Obama's choices, but I can have my opinions, just as you can. I can't comment on McCain b/c I don't know anything about why he left his wife. Again, not important to the issues that are destroying our country.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Remember he was his spiritual and not racial mentor. Unless you question his faith in God then a good job acceptable to all believers was done. Obama had a bunch of white friends as his racial mentors. Remember all the naughty white people folks are trying to associate him with?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Well, now it all depends on how you look at it. I personally think Obama made a poor decision choosing both his pastor and his spouse. They are two peas in a pod with their white people and America hating. People get married for different reasons and marriages evolve over time. What works for Hill and Bill may not work for you but who are you to say she was wrong to stay? The same way it's not for me to judge Obama's choices, but I can have my opinions, just as you can. I can't comment on McCain b/c I don't know anything about why he left his wife. Again, not important to the issues that are destroying our country.
I did not say she was wrong to stay, I said she made a decision to stay witha person who fulfilled 90 percent of her needs. Just as Obama chose to stay with a church that fullfilled 90 percent of his needs. The man with a lack of commitment and fidelilty by his own admission was John McCain. My point is that none of it is relevant or all of it is relevant.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM

236 posts, read 615,133 times
Quote:
Well, now it all depends on how you look at it. I personally think Obama made a poor decision choosing both his pastor and his spouse. They are two peas in a pod with their white people and America hating.

I dont think they hate whites,just the oppression that white americans have thrust upon blacks for the past few hundred years.And yes,it still exists,as blacks face unequal,sub human treatment in loans,jobs,prison sentences,etc

Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post
I dont think they hate whites,just the oppression that white americans have thrust upon blacks for the past few hundred years.
Well I've only been alive for 36 years and I don't do anything to hold them down and Mrs. Obama has had many more opportunites than I and her bank account has more zeroes in it. I don't begrudge her that. Good for her but she needs to realize white people didn't hold her down. Tired of hearing the same old, same old.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 AM

439 posts, read 605,743 times
Quote:
My only comment here is you know what they say. Opinions are like a**holes everyone has one. Doesn't mean your right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections