Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,731 times

Advertisements

I always like to see the candidates speaking, but I think this forum is crossing the line of seperation of church & state.

It is interesting to hear the answers to the question that are asked and the candidates personal feelings as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,662,172 times
Personally I would like to hear how the "candidates" view the Constitution and "specifically" how they would uphold it. Thus far, each candidate seems to be more into the book of marx rather than the US Constitution.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:07 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,441,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I always like to see the candidates speaking, but I think this forum is crossing the line of seperation of church & state.

It is interesting to hear the answers to the question that are asked and the candidates personal feelings as well.
Sure it's crossing the line. I tried to watch it, but the combination of Clinton and Messiah College makes one want to puke. I see Obama is on now, that's better.

Anyway, it's too bad the candidates have to pander to these religious groups, but it's a sad fact that an atheist or agnostic could never be elected president.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:19 PM

I guess I didn't know what to expect. I just heard that they would be on and decided to watch.

I was speaking to a friend who mentioned the same thing, I don't think an atheist would even be able to run.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:55 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,318,512 times
I watched the Compassion Forum. Obama came off rather flip and egocentric while Hillary on the other hand appeared more humble and sincere. I think she is more comfortable and confident with who she is and relates well to others while Obama is still trying to find himself. I think he is so impressed with himself that he really doesn't think much about anything else. I don't think he has much wisdom or depth yet but I think Hillary has alot of both because of her many life experiences that come with age. Obama reminds me of a junior politician who is cocky with his new found fame. I don't think he has a deep understanding of who he is yet which prevents him from having a deep understanding of others and life in general. He is not a seasoned player and will make many mistakes in office I fear. He is just full of alot of BS still and has along ways to go. We need a serious player and not a self centered celeb in the Whitehouse. The only thing he really has going for him is his appearance and voice which seems to be more important to some people than depth, wisdom, ability, experience, strenght, determination and courage. He will most likely have to wing it if he becomes president because he is lacking in so many areas... he is not well rounded or seasoned. He is too young yet and inexperienced. We need a heavy weight in office, not a lightweight. Hillary will add a human touch to the Presidency. We need more Yen because we have way too much Yang in politics and in the world. We need to balance things out.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I watched the Compassion Forum. Obama came off rather flip and egocentric while Hillary on the other hand appeared more humble and sincere. I think she is more comfortable and confident with who she is and relates well to others while Obama is still trying to find himself. I think he is so impressed with himself that he really doesn't think much about anything else. I don't think he has much wisdom or depth yet but I think Hillary has alot of both because of her many life experiences that come with age. Obama reminds me of a junior politician who is cocky with his new found fame. I don't think he has a deep understanding of who he is yet which prevents him from having a deep understanding of others and life in general. He is not a seasoned player and will make many mistakes in office I fear. He is just full of alot of BS still and has along ways to go. We need a serious player and not a self centered celeb in the Whitehouse. The only thing he really has going for him is his appearance and voice which seems to be more important to some people than depth, wisdom, ability, experience, strenght, determination and courage. He will most likely have to wing it if he becomes president because he is lacking in so many areas... he is not well rounded or seasoned. He is too young yet and inexperienced. We need a heavy weight in office, not a lightweight. Hillary will add a human touch to the Presidency. We need more Yen because we have way too much Yang in politics and in the world. We need to balance things out.
I didn't get the impression that he came off as "flip and egocentric" I think they both came across candid and as honest as they both could have been about the questions asked. Obviously some of the questions had no direct answer and I think they both did well to put some speaking points to them.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Watching again...

Hmmm...was it necessary for Hillary to mention in regards to trade & Indonesia that Indonesia was the largest Muslim country in the world?

It just seemed like a sneaky way of bringing up a religous hot topic in a forum based on faith. It's almost like saying "No, he's not a muslim, but don't forget he lived in Indonesia which is the largest Muslim country"

Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,720,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

I couldn't disagree more that a private function where candidates for a party nomination discuss issues, some being religious in nature, have anything to do with Congress making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,588,202 times
Obama clearly won the compassion forum. He received more applause than Hillary and he was far more comfortable talking about his faith as if its been a part of his whole life. At times Hillary seemed like she didnt know what to say so she kept saying the word grace. I also think Obama explained himself pretty good on the "bitter comments". Obama also spoke in more detail when he answered the questions.

In any case this is good for the democrats because if the democrats are going to carry some southern states in November, they have to appeal to the evangelicals which McCain has not been able to do.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,362,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
It is interesting to see how Hillary vs Obama supporters viewed last night's forum. I thought that Obama was really good and believable, while Hillary was good, but I didn't believe any of her religious views.

If you need a heavyweight in the office you may as well as vote for McCain so he can blast away any group of people on this planet that he hates. Vietnamese, Iraqis, Muslims, etc. Now he is heavy weight.

I can't even imagine doing a yen and yang thing with Hillary. A Buddhist term that doesn't apply. But I understand what you are trying to say, only I don't consider her to be Yen.

I thought it interesting that McCain was a no show, but then I can't imagine his having a faith, just as I can't imagine that Bush really has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections