Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,466,798 times

Advertisements

Give it some time and the truth prevails. This is the perfect example of how the media loves to stir up garbage. Like I said, Obama will continue on his "high road" no matter how much Hillary, Hillary supporters and the media try to tear him down. Read on...

Bill Kristol, New York Times Hack, UPDATE
by DAVID KNOWLES
MAR 17TH 2008 8:48AM
filed under:eDemocrats, Barack Obama, Featured Stories, Scandal, Media
In his short tenure at The New York Times, neo-conservative commentator Bill Kristol has treated readers to his own brand of particularly stodgy, past the sell-by-date punditry. This week's attempted hatchet job on Barack Obama is just the latest Kristol-clear example of journalistic standards gone awry.

The piece contends that, for all of Obama's skill as a campaigner, the Illinois senator has been less than forthcoming about whether or not he actually attended a now-famous sermon in which Jeremiah Wright blasted the United States.
As The Atlantic's Marc Ambinder points out, the central claim that Kristol employs to show Obama's pattern of deceit--that Obama was in attendance for the sermon-- turns out to be wrong. Here's Kristol's assertion:

But Roland Kessler, a journalist who has written about Wright's ministry, claims that Obama was in fact in the pews at Trinity last July 22. That's when Wright blamed the "arrogance" of the "United States of White America" for much of the world's suffering, especially the oppression of blacks.

Kessler, a reporter for Newsmax (add snarky comment here), made his claim in a story he filed this past Sunday. In the story, he goes so far as to say that Obama nodded his head in agreement at the fiery rhetoric. In other words, not only was he there, but he liked what he heard.

Here's the problem. Obama wasn't there. He was in Florida. Quite simply, Kessler pulled the episode out of thin air. The Newsmax "story" is nothing but a political hit job posing as journalism, and Kristol eagerly bit into it like a nascent blogger, regurgitating the lie for his own purposes.

So, will Kristol issue a retraction? Will he admit that Obama was indeed being candid when he stated he wasn't in attendance on July 22 to hear Wright's sermon? Don't hold your breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,555,838 times
What?

The NY Times lies??

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,271,932 times
funny that the majority
of the NYtimes board wanted to endorse Obama but the chairman stepped in and the endorsed HillBilly

Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 PM

This story makes even more sense. Thanks for clarifying expat007!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,007,635 times
Lets not all be ignorant whether he was their or not he know what was said. Why did he not let his so called reverend announce his candidacy? HE was initially going to but they pulled him.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:00 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,295,355 times
This is no surprise. Check out any story or column on this election from the New York Times. Besides a fluff story on Obama's mom, every story has been over-the-top pro-Clinton.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 PM

Yah. I always know what was said at every sermon my pastor gives when I am not at church. Get real!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Yah. I always know what was said at every sermon my pastor gives when I am not at church. Get real!
Even if I wasn't in attendance that day, I am QUITE certain that if my rector gave a sermon which included expletives, racial remarks and simulated sex acts the phones of everyone in the congregation would be ringing off the hook by that afternoon, as would the phone in the bishop's office the next day.

And that is REALity. Well, for most people, anyway.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
I demand that Bill Kristol withdraw his candidacy for President.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,197,647 times
I think Bill Kristol is a columnist so the story on Obama was him venting his spleen. It was not a news item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections