Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,222,936 times

Advertisements

DNC To File FEC Complaint Over Over McCain Funding Controversy, By John Bresnahan - CBS News

Quote:
If McCain cannot get out from under the spending limit, he could be severely hamstrung in responding to Democratic attacks in the period leading up to the GOP convention. McCain's campaign has already raised $49 million, and Dean and other Democrats are convinced that he may have already broken thought the $54 million limit. If the FEC refuses to let McCain exit the voluntary matching-funds system, he could be held personally liable for violating the cap, which would a criminal charge.
Poor McCain. He tried to game the system. As it stands, he's probably already broken the law. The GOP should start rethinking his nomination if they want to keep their party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 AM

745 posts, read 2,218,295 times
Here is CBS's updated article about it which points out several other interesting facts:
Democratic Party Wants FEC To Probe McCain, Leaders Urge Campaign Finance Regulators To Look Into Candidate Bypassing Federal Funds - CBS News

Such as DNC chairman Howard Dean did the exact same thing in his presidential run in 2003.

And the reason McCain has been unable to withdraw so far is because as the article puts it ... "Federal Election Commission Chairman David Mason notified McCain last week that he can only withdraw from public financing if he answers questions about a campaign loan and obtains approval from four members of the six-member commission. Such approval is doubtful in the short term because the commission has four vacancies and cannot convene a quorum."

In partisan thinking, I wander how much of this has to do with the Democratically controlled Congress not being in session any longer.

But as several major media networks have reported on tv. The smartest thing for McCain to do is keep on raising money and spending. FEC usually gives a slap on the wrist in the form of a small fine, and the FEC won't even be able to give him a fair hearing for some time because of the shortage of members, and McCain can point to the Democrats that did it four years ago such as Dean and it'll be seen as a partisan issue. In the grand scheme of things 9 months from now ... I'm sure it will have proven not to change anybody's vote one way or another.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 AM

Bush is the one that appoints FEC board members. Congress approves them, but so far, Bush hasn't appointed them according to other articles I've read.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,678,294 times
Howard ACLU lapdoggy Dean........... nuff said !

Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,843,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Bush is the one that appoints FEC board members. Congress approves them, but so far, Bush hasn't appointed them according to other articles I've read.
I think Bush sent up 3 nominees. The Democrats only have problems with one of them, but Bush has said all or nothing (in his usual negotiation style: my way or the highway). The Republicans in Congress are blocking a motion to hold separate votes on the three appointees, insisting the three must be selected together.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I think Bush sent up 3 nominees. The Democrats only have problems with one of them, but Bush has said all or nothing (in his usual negotiation style: my way or the highway). The Republicans in Congress are blocking a motion to hold separate votes on the three appointees, insisting the three must be selected together.
Ok. Hadn't seen that.

This thread highlights one of the big problems the Democrats are going to face this cycle. Here's a real, tangible issue (along with lobbyists) that both candidates could be attacking McCain over. Instead, they argue about who said what when and how it is slanderous. All the infighting has to stop if they're planning to beat the Republicans. Press the issue enough and McCain would be seen as a criminal going into the elections. If Hillary were smart, she'd focus on McCain and get her votes by proving that she can play ball with the GOP machine.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,843,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Ok. Hadn't seen that.

This thread highlights one of the big problems the Democrats are going to face this cycle. Here's a real, tangible issue (along with lobbyists) that both candidates could be attacking McCain over. Instead, they argue about who said what when and how it is slanderous. All the infighting has to stop if they're planning to beat the Republicans. Press the issue enough and McCain would be seen as a criminal going into the elections. If Hillary were smart, she'd focus on McCain and get her votes by proving that she can play ball with the GOP machine.
I agree. She is not doing a very good job of handling the Obama machine, maybe she'd do better against a foe she is familiar with.

I'm sure McCain had some good lawyers look at his loan deal. I'd be pretty surprised to see it as illegal - but there is no doubt that its goes against the things he has stood for in the past. I think it also might help give Obama an out for accepting matching funds in the general election.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I agree. She is not doing a very good job of handling the Obama machine, maybe she'd do better against a foe she is familiar with.

I'm sure McCain had some good lawyers look at his loan deal. I'd be pretty surprised to see it as illegal - but there is no doubt that its goes against the things he has stood for in the past. I think it also might help give Obama an out for accepting matching funds in the general election.
The same lawyers Bush had look over the warrantless wiretaps?

Hillary could have used the NYTimes insinuation of wrongdoing by McCain, wrapped it into this issue, and left Obama behind talking about Hope and Change. That message is about not being a Republican. They've both failed miserably to prove that they can beat McCain. Doesn't anyone in the DNC remember 2000 or 2004 other than Dean?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Howard Dean is getting the DNC organized.

The Democratic Party | Holding John McCain Accountable

Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,261,768 times
It will all come to nothing in the end.I think Dean is just trying to
get some issue going since the in-fighting seems to be getting worse by hillary and Obama. Kind of a get some of the critism they are leveling against each other off the news.Doesn't seem to be working tho,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections