Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 05:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (AP) — Pressure is mounting on Bernie Sanders to end his campaign for president, with Democratic Party leaders raising alarms that his continued presence in the race is undermining efforts to beat presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump this fall.

The new concerns come after Sanders’ recent wins over front-runner Hillary Clinton in Indiana and West Virginia. While those victories have provided his supporters a fresh sense of momentum heading into next week’s primaries in Kentucky and Oregon, they did almost nothing to help Sanders cut into Clinton’s nearly insurmountable lead in the delegates who will decide their party’s nomination.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fearing-t...-election.html

Wow, just wow. Are you THAT scared there, Hillary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 05:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,345,087 times
One of the saddest episodes of this year will be Sanders' capitulation next month. All those young Bern-babies are going to have to sell out and jump on the Hillary juggernaut.

The alternative is a replay of the 1968 Democratic convention (also, by coincidence, in Chicago) -- an ugly generational battle between the idealists and the old school pols. And the Clintons are the ultimate pols...

Old 05-13-2016, 05:32 PM

491 posts, read 320,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
One of the saddest episodes of this year will be Sanders' capitulation next month. All those young Bern-babies are going to have to sell out and jump on the Hillary juggernaut.

The alternative is a replay of the 1968 Democratic convention (also, by coincidence, in Chicago) -- an ugly generational battle between the idealists and the old school pols. And the Clintons are the ultimate pols...
I fully expect the far-left to fall in line, at least this year. (Obama's still in charge, and the far-left does what their messiah tells them to do. So if Obama says it's time to unite behind Hillary, they will do exactly that.) What scares me is that they will become more emboldened than ever should Hillary win big in November. Should Hillary win, she will be heavily indebted to them, and that will lead to a horrendous next four years. (For this reason, Trump is probably the lesser of two evils.)

The only upside to all of this is that I can see huge fissures developing within the Democratic Party over the next four years, which will lead to a new era of GOP dominance beginning in 2020.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
I fully expect the far-left to fall in line, at least this year. What scares me is that they will become more emboldened than ever should Hillary win big in November. Should Hillary win, she will be heavily indebted to them, and that will lead to a horrendous next four years. (For this reason, Trump is probably the lesser of two evils).

The only upside to all of this is that I can see huge fissures developing within the Democratic Party over the next four years, which will lead to a new era of GOP dominance beginning in 2020.
Hmm. Maybe. But both your namesakes will be deceased by then. Who will lead this GOP renaissance? The elephant bench looks very thin. And the country is tired of holy rollers, and getting younger. This does not bode well for the Republicans.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:

The Dems also LOST to Nixon in 1968.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,425,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Nixon was one of the most brilliant politicians of all time.

Donald Trump was a game show host just a few years ago.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:43 PM

491 posts, read 320,095 times
Quote:
Hmm. Maybe. But both your namesakes will be deceased by then. Who will lead this GOP renaissance? The elephant bench looks very thin. And the country is tired of holy rollers, and getting younger. This does not bode well for the Republicans.
Actually, the GOP has a much deeper bench than the Democrats do. I think that the three most likely GOP nominees in 2020 are Nikki Haley, Ted Cruz, and John Kasich (though not necessarily in that order).

Should she win, I would suspect that HRC will be a very unpopular president (as evidenced by her strong disapproval ratings, which are only eclipsed by those of Trump) and be very easy to defeat for re-election.

8,081 posts, read 6,966,873 times
If HRC can't ward off Bernie in the DNCs rigged election then how's she supposed to beat Trump?

Don't moan to me about Hillary's problem
--Bernie Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
True. But he's not running this year.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Actually, the GOP has a much deeper bench than the Democrats do. I think that the three most likely GOP nominees in 2020 are Nikki Haley, Ted Cruz, and John Kasich (though not necessarily in that order).

Should she win, I would suspect that HRC will be a very unpopular president (as evidenced by her strong disapproval ratings, which are only eclipsed by those of Trump) and be very easy to defeat for re-election.
Ted Cruz?

Never happen. Not in a jillion years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections