Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm shocked to see Kennedy's endorse Obama, with Sen. Edward M kennedy calling him a "man with extraordinary gifts of leadership and character," a worthy heir to his assassinated brother.

Will this help Obama?

How much of this is because the Kennedy's want to protect their domination on the "name" issue in the Democratic party?

How much of this is due to Bill Clinton back lash?

I'm just surprised to see them take such a public position on the issue, instead of waiting till after the elections to support the "Democratic" candidate.

Am I missing some alterior motive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
This doesn't really surprise me. The Kennedys tend to represent a more liberal POV than the generally-Centrist Clintons do. Obama is more in line with the Kennedys politics. Actually, I wouldn't have been surprised to see them endorse Edwards if he'd hung in there and maintained decent numbers.

Plenty of people, especially Conservatives, abhor the Kennedys. Lets not forget that many potential Dem voters like and appreciate what the Kennedys have to say. I think this will help some in the primaries.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Author Tonis Morrison also announced her support of Barack Obama, if you dont know who she is, she was the one that referred to Bill Clinton "first black president".

Daughter of President John F Kennedy is supporting Obama.

We all know where Oprah stands.

50 cents, Clinton supporter

Martha Stuart, Clinton supporter

George Clooney, Obama

Old 01-28-2008, 01:26 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
No I think the sleeping Giants are awakening!
They know the Clintons and their shenanigans......
Clintons are not what this country needs. No matter how they spin it!
They were bad before and will be even worse if Utila the Hun is prez!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:31 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
LOL, that's really rich. A sleazy political dynasty endorsing a candidate who says he is against sleazy political dynasties!

Why don't the Kennedys go away already? Surely, Massachusetts Dems can find other politicians to elect?

Old 01-28-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
This doesn't really surprise me. The Kennedys tend to represent a more liberal POV than the generally-Centrist Clintons do. Obama is more in line with the Kennedys politics. Actually, I wouldn't have been surprised to see them endorse Edwards if he'd hung in there and maintained decent numbers.

Plenty of people, especially Conservatives, abhor the Kennedys. Lets not forget that many potential Dem voters like and appreciate what the Kennedys have to say. I think this will help some in the primaries.
I dont really care for the Kennedy's they have their own major skeletons.........
But,......... they know the Clintons......... from Senate ranglings to Presidential issues and everything in between....
For them to back away from the Clintons says allot to me as well. My family are all dems and they are taking notice of this!
Yes, I am Republican....

Last edited by Miborn; 01-28-2008 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
LOL, that's really rich. A sleazy political dynasty endorsing a candidate who says he is against sleazy political dynasties!

Why don't the Kennedys go away already? Surely, Massachusetts Dems can find other politicians to elect?
Yes that would be nice but the Kennedys are icons in this country as far as the political arena goes.
They hold allot of clout.
And ya know the whole Camelot thing does not hurt them either.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
The way I look at it many are now getting on the side they think will be the winner in their party. Doesn't take much imagine to guess why. Influence maybe?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
According to what I saw on tv it was due to a rift between Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton, something about Bill supposedly saying something that was racist. They talked on the phone a lot this past weekend also and Bill kept trying to convince Kennedy to support Hillalry. Maybe Kennedy didn't like being told what to do? Maybe it's all about power? Maybe Obama really does remind the Kennedys of JFK and that's the reason? Maybe it's none of the above, all of the above, a combination of the above or the reasons above serve as an excuse.

It is weird though and it sure came as a shock to me; I thought he'd probably remain neutral.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Yes that would be nice but the Kennedys are icons in this country as far as the political arena goes.
They hold allot of clout.
They do???? I'm a lifelong Democrat from a family of lifelong Democrats and no one I know can stand them. Must be an Irish-Catholic-Massachusetts thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections