Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 PM

502 posts, read 721,850 times

Advertisements

Love me some partisan hackery posts predicting the demise of the Republican Party. Give us more of them guys!

"The Democratic/Republican party sealed its faith with Bush/Carter/LBJ/Hoover, they'll never win another election, they're doomed, all Americans are going to become 1-party-voting Republicans/Democrats".

Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,539,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Love me some partisan hackery posts predicting the demise of the Republican Party. Give us more of them guys!

"The Democratic/Republican party sealed its faith with Bush/Carter/LBJ/Hoover, they'll never win another election, they're doomed, all Americans are going to become 1-party-voting Republicans/Democrats".
what are you talking about?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,325,616 times
For the first time in my life, I think a Libertarian could win.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,350,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Gary Johnson?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Laura, I still don't see it, but I do think the best candidate and the one that will prevail might be one with Libertarian leanings. As for a true Libertarian from that party, just not enough organization or money to win over the Republicans or Democrats. When they start winning more local and statewide elections, maybe.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Gary Johnson?
I have my doubts she is talking about Johnson, I know, from my view: absolutely not. He might do a little better in 2016, if he even runs, which is doubtful, but he will not even get 10% of the vote. He just doesn't have the appeal.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,346,699 times
The GOP’s only hope is to find someone who can put moderate states (New Jersey, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, New Hampshire) into play. The only potential candidates who could do that right now are Chris Christie and (maybe) Jeb Bush.

They don’t have to win those states, but they need to force the Democrats to spread their resources more thinly. The Obama campaign was able to win by focusing much of its time and money on GOTV efforts in Virginia and Ohio.

With this strategy, candidates like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul are out of the question. However if Hilary runs, Virginia will probably be in her column before the general campaign even starts—and the election will be over.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 09-10-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,769,183 times
A Republican, no... A Libertarian maybe. Dems start out with a huge lead.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,087,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The GOP’s only hope is to find someone who can put moderate states (New Jersey, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, New Hampshire) into play. The only potential candidates who could do that right now are Chris Christie and (maybe) Jeb Bush.

They don’t have to win those states, but they need to force the Democrats to spread their resources more thinly. The Obama campaign was able to win by focusing much of its time and money on GOTV efforts in Virginia and Ohio.

With this strategy, candidates like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul are out of the question. However if Hilary runs, Virginia will probably be in her column before the general campaign even starts—and the election will be over.
Amen. Right now, the inverse is happening. GOP needs to sweep 10 swing states, Dems spend enough money in each to insure that cannot occur. Odds of sweeping 10 are 2 to the 10th power, 1 in 1,024 tries.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 AM

396 posts, read 368,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

you complicate things so much, LOL.......Obama won because he was the sitting president and didn't have to spend money on a primary. He started his war chest 2 years before re-election. Its impossible to beat an incumbent President unless he has a challenge within his party which means the party is divided. it only happened in 1968, 1980 and 1992.

The opposing party candidates have a tougher road because they have to get money to win the primary, get beat up in the process and then get a lot of more money for the general while the sitting President is looking presidential and fresh with a more money to start.

2016 is a new ball game, democrats can't blame everything on Bush anymore like in 2008 and they will have a bloody primary like the Republicans meaning it will be an equal playing field and the democrats have to distance themselves from Obama and sell to the nation a new direction.

a good rule of thumb is whatever happened in past elections forget it, each election cycle is different and with many surprises. Nobody here would have bet that after the 2004 Presidential Election that a junior senator from Illinois with no experienced would beat a power house candidate in Hillary in the primary and win the general election just 4 years later..........all bets are off in 2016.........if the economy is still shaky, it will be hard for the party in the WH to win a 3rd term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections