Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,714,837 times

Advertisements

The Kerry-Springsteen concert in 2004 drew 80,000 people.

And the Obama-Springsteen concert in Cleveland back in 2008 drew 80,000 people.

The Obama-Springsteen concert today in Madison, Wisconsin drew only 18,000.

…In Madison, Wisconsin!

Buzzfeed reported:
Quote:
The crowd for President Barack Obama’s final rally in Wisconsin with Bruce Springsteen is falling short of the audience John Kerry drew with the musician in 2004.

The White House put the crowd at 18,000 for Obama and The Boss in Madison Monday morning, far less than the 80,000 the defeated Democratic nominee drew eight years ago just before the election — a turnout that caused a small panic inside the Bush campaign.
Oh, and the Obama camp was expecting 30,000.

Ouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
I'm going to assume you don't live in the USA, or that this is your first election campaign. But I think that for the people who've had the opportunity to observe these things over longer periods of time ... we understand that 2012 is 2012 and 2008 was 2008 and that dynamics are different for varying reasons. Pay attention, though, to the election day results. You might want to pre-arrange for a visit to your cardiologist.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Could be several reasons.

Traditionally, young people want their rock stars to be anti-establishment. This year Obama is the incumbent, so they may see him as the establishment candidate and think Springsteen is selling out by supporting him.

Or it could be that they are tired of the Springsteen rallies and prefer to have their concerts served up without the political ads.

Or maybe he's just passed the point of relevancy.

My guess, though, is that people stayed away because the song by pseudo-country singer Eric Church song about going to a Bruce Springsteen concert when he was 17 that got extremely heavy airplay over the summer sucks so bad that people can no longer stand the thought of Bruce Springsteen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2gGXlW6wSY

I can't decide what's worse: the fact that he sings like he's got a clothespin on his nose, or the way he just sort of says "Springsteen" after the chorus appears to be other.

Or some other reason. All I know is that by most accounts Springsteen's rallies have done very little to encourage people to vote for the candidate he supports.

Last edited by duster1979; 11-05-2012 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,198 times
Cleveland has double the population of Madison. 2008 Cleveland concert was on the weekend in the evening, right after a football game 2 blocks away, many Browns spilled into the Springsteen concert. Madison concert was at 9am on a Monday. Don't let something like analytical thinking get in the way however.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I'm going to assume you don't live in the USA

Like MOST assumptions, you're dead wrong.

In fact I would venture to guess that I've been alive and living in the USA longer than you have.

Quote:
we understand that 2012 is 2012 and 2008 was 2008 and that dynamics are different for varying reasons. Pay attention, though, to the election day results. You might want to pre-arrange for a visit to your cardiologist.
You may need a cardiologist yourself.

Where have you been, under a rock?

Even DEMOCRATS admit that Democratic turnout and enthusiasm is lagging way behind Republicans and even further behind 2008.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Cleveland has double the population of Madison. 2008 Cleveland concert was on the weekend in the evening, right after a football game which resulted in many Brown fans spilling into the Springsteen concert. Madison concert was at 9am on a Monday. Don't let something like analytical thinking get in the way however.
Thanks for the truth, something which jt is obviously lacking in his posts.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Cleveland has double the population of Madison. 2008 Cleveland concert was on the weekend in the evening, right after a football game 2 blocks away, many Browns spilled into the Springsteen concert. Madison concert was at 9am on a Monday. Don't let something like analytical thinking get in the way however.

Even considering that, 80,000 to what the Madison police are saying was only 15,000 is a HUGE drop in a University setting in one of the most LIBERAL places in the USA.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Thanks for the truth, something which jt is obviously lacking in his posts.

You're the guy that said I'm a paid poster yet conveniently stops posting in the thread when I ask you to PROVE that stupid allegation.

You said, it...prove it. Or do you have problems with telling the truth?

PS: Another challenge: Prove there is anything that is not truthful in this OP.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
I said Tramps like Obama....baby, they were born to run!

Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Even considering that, 80,000 to what the Madison police are saying was only 15,000 is a HUGE drop in a University setting in one of the most LIBERAL places in the USA.
Let me repeat if for you. The Cleveland concert began just as a Browns game was ending 2 blocks away. Many people who attended the Springsteen concert in Ohio were Browns fans who wanted to see a free concert. I think the Browns stadium can fit up to 70,000 fans. So basically you have 70,000 people leaving a stadium, many which are intoxicated and they find out that there is a free rock concert 1 block away. It doesn't take a rock scientist to figure out what happened. Not to mention that Madison's concert was on a Monday morning. I've gone to at leat 50 concerts in my life, some at 2am in the morning, but never have I attended one at 8am on a Monday, never, and I probably never will. Understand?? Or do we need someone else to splain it to ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections