Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM

75 posts, read 107,461 times

Advertisements

I understand that now that the Republican Convention is over Mitt has decided he has to be more moderate on immigration and now is telling Hispanic audiences and big business that he will reform the immigration system. Translation: Greatly reduced enforcement, huge increases in legal immigration so we can lower wages further, and lots of guest workers for the labor shortages his business friends claim is happening. Funny how that worked out.

Mitt was only tough on immigration so he could get conservatives support in the primaries due to all the very conservative voters in the Republican primaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I understand that now that the Republican Convention is over Mitt has decided he has to be more moderate on immigration and now is telling Hispanic audiences and big business that he will reform the immigration system. Translation: Greatly reduced enforcement, huge increases in legal immigration so we can lower wages further, and lots of guest workers for the labor shortages his business friends claim is happening. Funny how that worked out.

Mitt was only tough on immigration so he could get conservatives support in the primaries due to all the very conservative voters in the Republican primaries.
Also he supports raising the H1B cap..more jobs lost for Americans.

In all fairness, Obama isn't really doing anything about illegal immigration either, but he's done more than Bush ever did with actually raiding some big illegal hiring companies.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,425,615 times
Lets talk to the 1200 that just lost their jobs because 8 coal mines were shut down. How about the company in S. Carolina that just shut down and moving their operations outside the U.S. Whatever happened to shovel ready jobs and Solyndra. What happened to Fiskar? No jobs produced there. The list goes on. By the way, we have more like 15% unemployment. The way it's counted a lot of people moved to collecting welfare and not counted. Many are working in jobs that pay low wages.

Anyway, live your wonderful Obama land of plenty world.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Lets talk to the 1200 that just lost their jobs because 8 coal mines were shut down. How about the company in S. Carolina that just shut down and moving their operations outside the U.S. Whatever happened to shovel ready jobs and Solyndra. What happened to Fiskar? No jobs produced there. The list goes on. By the way, we have more like 15% unemployment. The way it's counted a lot of people moved to collecting welfare and not counted. Many are working in jobs that pay low wages.

Anyway, live your wonderful Obama land of plenty world.
Non sequitor much?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:

I know how you feel but we all have to realize, there is very little choice but to sit back, take a deep breath and see what will be the best way to handle the out of control illegal problems. We are going to need to make some concessions:h We can't send between 12 and 20 million illegals back to their country, regardless of what country it is. We need to think about the kids who are here because mom and dad brought them here as infants and we need to realize, like it or not, many of the farm jobs American workers do not want. I argued this for years, now I realize it is a fact. For whatever reason our undereducated, out of work young people would rather get a welfare check than to pcik cotton or strawberries. The best option is a guest worker program and to figure out a way to help those kids get educated so they will not be another generation of welfare receivers.

Should we go out of our way to help them or see them take jobs from legal Americans? Of course not, but sad as it seems,there are Americans who really don't want to sweat....

Nita

Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
It's a mixed message from Mitt (what isn't?). As Romney would put it, "Hola, moochers!"

Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 PM

75 posts, read 107,461 times
What happened to self deporting. They say that a large number of illegal aliens in Arizona have left and gone home WITH THEIR KIDS!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know how you feel but we all have to realize, there is very little choice but to sit back, take a deep breath and see what will be the best way to handle the out of control illegal problems. We are going to need to make some concessions:h We can't send between 12 and 20 million illegals back to their country, regardless of what country it is. We need to think about the kids who are here because mom and dad brought them here as infants and we need to realize, like it or not, many of the farm jobs American workers do not want. I argued this for years, now I realize it is a fact. For whatever reason our undereducated, out of work young people would rather get a welfare check than to pcik cotton or strawberries. The best option is a guest worker program and to figure out a way to help those kids get educated so they will not be another generation of welfare receivers.

Should we go out of our way to help them or see them take jobs from legal Americans? Of course not, but sad as it seems,there are Americans who really don't want to sweat....

Nita
Again, how does anyone know this when the illegal labor has never been eliminated? The few examples I've seen, the strawberries don't get picked because the farmers refused to raise what they pay. Yeah, nobody shows up to get paid minimum wage. Really? That's a shock.

I guarantee you if you put an ad in the paper saying that you'd pay $25 an hour for strawberry picking, you'd have thousands of people show up for the job. It's about the WAGES not the work. Yes of course that would drive up the costs of some things...but things even out. You'd shift more money (heaven forbid) to the lower end of the economy instead of up....I know, it's hard to think of reversing the trend of the last 40 years started by Reagan.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,995,337 times
Quote:

Willard "etch a sketch" Romney will say anything to get elected. Newt Gingrich called him a liar.

The republicans love immigrants for the cheap labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Again, how does anyone know this when the illegal labor has never been eliminated? The few examples I've seen, the strawberries don't get picked because the farmers refused to raise what they pay. Yeah, nobody shows up to get paid minimum wage. Really? That's a shock.

I guarantee you if you put an ad in the paper saying that you'd pay $25 an hour for strawberry picking, you'd have thousands of people show up for the job. It's about the WAGES not the work. Yes of course that would drive up the costs of some things...but things even out. You'd shift more money (heaven forbid) to the lower end of the economy instead of up....I know, it's hard to think of reversing the trend of the last 40 years started by Reagan.
Agreed !!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,645,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
A person is either part of the problem or part of the solution. Thinking like you do IS the problem. Yes we can and should rid our country of anyone here that is illegal. WE DID NOT bring them here and WE SHOULD NOT have to compromise our laws in order to make THEM happy. Romney was ahead in the polls because a lot of us had the hope that he would be the person that finally did what should have been done years ago.

I am not sure this country will survive if these people are allowed to stay. They are lawless parasites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections