Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:24 PM

552 posts, read 739,869 times

Advertisements

The only polls that matter now are the swing state polls which are in obama's favor, but a lot can happen in a month. If they don't figure out this fiscal cliff situation it won't matter who wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

13,887 posts, read 13,690,317 times
I have long maintained that America has been dumbed down way below the point of basic stupid. If people think 0Boy is good for the economy, it's much worse than even I thought.

39,097 posts, read 51,300,952 times
The race turned from being a referendum on the economy, or a referendum on Obama, to a referendum on Romney. There are many reasons why he has failed to appeal to Americans, but if the race continues to be a vote about Romney, Romney is going to lose.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Good Grief, so they're just now figuring this out, when even conservatives from Rupert Murdoch to George Will and Ed Rollins have been saying for weeks, that they need a message with some alternatives, something else besides just "anybody but Obama"?!

It's one thing to pander to the "base" for votes, but it's quite another when you actually start believing they represent "reality"!
Agreed. When it comes down to it, Romney needs to do more than just say Obama's policies are bad. He needs to make the case for his polices, and when he isn't going in much detail to explain his policies, and his platform is very similar to Bush, its very hard to make that case.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,776,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Good Grief, so they're just now figuring this out, when even conservatives from Rupert Murdoch to George Will and Ed Rollins have been saying for weeks, that they need a message with some alternatives, something else besides just "anybody but Obama"?!

It's one thing to pander to the "base" for votes, but it's quite another when you actually start believing they represent "reality"!
In fairness, the conventional wisdom was that a potted plant could win against an incumbent with an economy like this. The opponent just needed some economic bonafides and to keep his/her mouth shut. Romney's tried to do that, but seems to keep drifting off message.

However, several complications have emerged. Most voters know that Obama is not to blame for the housing bubble, which caused this recession. They are much more likely to associate this meltdown with GOP policies than Obama's. They also like Obama, and they don't like Romney. Just goes to show conventional wisdom works great until things become unconventional.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,556,593 times
He doesn't seem to have any plans for the economy or any thing for that matter. Every time he opens his mouth he than changes it or his camp has to explain what he meant. I thought that McCain's campaign was bad but it is looking real good compared to Romney.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,090,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
well he has his work cut out for him

NYT/CBS poll: Obama best on economy, jobs - UPI.com
Because Romney can't create a coherent message, exactly what I'm saying.

Not to mention, I can post COUNTLESS other polls showing Romney is better on the economy - this one is a clear outlier. This is largely common knowledge as such polls have already been posted countless times on this forum alone, but for the sake of argument, I will post this poll from 3 days ago from the same site you had just so we're at least on even footing in this thread:

UPI Poll: Romney can better handle economy - UPI.com

If Romney could deliver a larger vision like Obama in addition to his economic expertise, his numbers would be sky-high in terms of the economy. And that is where he is failing and why he will lose if he doesn't turn his ship around.

Quote:
There really isn't much of en enthusiasm gap anymore. Not to mention the enthusiasm gap tends to be a bigger issue in a midterm than a Presidential race due to the fact turnout is considerably lower.
I haven't seen any poll that suggests the gap no longer exists. The most recent ones I can find are from July and all show a GOP enthusiasm advantage (and this was before the Ryan pick, the only major campaign shake-up between then and now). I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I don't know what you're basing your assertion off of.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 PM

39,097 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Agreed. When it comes down to it, Romney needs to do more than just say Obama's policies are bad. He needs to make the case for his polices, and when he isn't going in much detail to explain his policies, and his platform is very similar to Bush, its very hard to make that case.
It's too late for that unless it is in the context of why Romney is a better guy than Obama. Romney is a very unappealing person, whether he really is or whether the Dems have successfully painted him that way. A bunch of policy stuff is not going to save him. He needs to up his personal appeal and I don't see that happening. He just lacks what it takes to make people like him.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Because Romney can't create a coherent message, exactly what I'm saying.

Not to mention, I can post COUNTLESS other polls showing Romney is better on the economy - this one is a clear outlier. This is largely common knowledge as such polls have already been posted countless times on this forum alone, but for the sake of argument, I will post this poll from 3 days ago from the same site you had just so we're at least on even footing in this thread:

UPI Poll: Romney can better handle economy - UPI.com

If Romney could deliver a larger vision like Obama in addition to his economic expertise, his numbers would be sky-high in terms of the economy. And that is where he is failing and why he will lose if he doesn't turn his ship around.

I haven't seen any poll that suggests the gap no longer exists. The most recent ones I can find are from July and all show a GOP enthusiasm advantage (and this was before the Ryan pick, the only major campaign shake-up between then and now). I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I don't know what you're basing your assertion off of.
Quote:

Polls conducted since the Democratic convention in Charlotte, N.C., however, suggest that the gap may have narrowed. Although the difference varies from polling firm to polling firm, on the average it has reverted back to the historical average of between one and two percentage points.

Sept. 12: Polls Since Conventions Point to Decline in 'Enthusiasm Gap' - NYTimes.com

Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,379,865 times
Whatever possessed the Romney camp to think the American public would buy the idea that Romney's strong suit is the economy? The only business he ever built eliminated more jobs than it created, and his track record as governor of Massachusetts isn't exactly stellar.

Add to that that he has zero credibility on foreign policy and has alienated more than half of the American people on social issues and I cannot imagine him winning.

It doesn't help that he exudes an utterly distasteful personality, the type of guy who would get his chuckles out of bullying a classmate or hose down a dog so terrified after being forced to endure a ride on top of a vehicle that it literally **** itself.

Hell I wouldn't want this guy in any public office, I woudn't even want him giving me financial advice; I do not trust his ethics one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections