Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,235,414 times

Advertisements

I find the subject of this thread hilarious. The same group of people who are looking into the Romney family's military service are the same ones who thought McCain's military service didn't qualify him for anything.

Oh, and it's not that Romney refused to serve. He just happened to draw a high number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 PM

14,040 posts, read 15,070,876 times
well they did live in Mexico for 2 generations, and before that Mormons where treated like crap in America, Would a Catholic serve in the 1700s Royal Navy?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,673,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I find the subject of this thread hilarious. The same group of people who are looking into the Romney family's military service are the same ones who thought McCain's military service didn't qualify him for anything.
Yep. I'd say these (or this one) could be classified as bonafide hypocrites.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:22 PM

47,015 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I saw yesterday that Prince Harry was being sent to Afghanistan. They sure have a different culture of service than we do here.
An heir and a spare, as they used to say.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:23 PM

47,015 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Yep. I'd say these (or this one) could be classified as bonafide hypocrites.
How would you classify those who demonstrate in favor of a war, then run off to France to avoid fighting it?

You can choose to serve or not, both positions are perfectly respectable in my book. But don't be "Rah-rah, let's show Johnny Foreigner the error of his ways!" and then make tracks for the exits when the idea is aired that perhaps you'd look good in green.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:38 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,749,959 times
Wow, what an amazing case of digging for anything possible to trash Romney over. Heaven help us if Romney's great great grandmother's first husband's second cousin was a murderer or a rapist!! Oh the humanity!!

Seriously, can anyone think of anything that is more irrelevant?? If I have an ancestor who was a pirate, clearly it must mean that I have the same tendencies, right? Should be a fire-able offense!

Spaceballs - I am your Father .... - YouTube

Bill Clinton was the first US President with zero military experience. Barack Obama was the second. If Romney is elected he'll be the third. We were destined to come to this: The USA has been at relative peace since World War II. Since then, the majority of folks did not serve in the military. George Bush Sr was our last WW2 vet and now WW2 vets are just too dang old to be president.

The vast majority of young men who were of age did not serve in Korea.

The vast majority of young men who were of age did not serve in Vietnam.

The vast majority of young men who were of age did not serve in Desert Storm.

The vast majority of young men who were of age did not serve in the invasion and occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan.

We can no longer view military service as a prerequisite for being elected president. It's just not realistic anymore. Having a candidate who is a war vet would be nice bonus and all. We don't have one this election. Too bad so sad ... and that should be the end of the discussion. Why isn't it?

Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,250,922 times
oh my gosh, burn him at the stake.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:34 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,596,119 times
Biden,nor Biden's dad ever served.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,345,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
This link (from a friendly site) traces Mitt's ancestry back through all eight great-grand parents:

Mitt Romney’s Ancestry | Hail To You

One thing that stands out is that there is no indication that ANYONE in the Romney clan's 165 yr history in this country has EVER served in it's armed forces

The only apparent exemption is one relative, on a maternal great-grandmother's side, who enlisted in the Union Army in NY during the Civil War, only to promptly desert and flee back to the Utah territory when his unit was deployed to the SW US (guess he couldn't afford a wagon! )

But, except for that dubious fellow... Nothing. Nada, zilch, zero.

Not Mitt. Not his five sons. Not brother Scott (not sure about Scott's seven kids by three wives-no, not all at the same time ) Not Mitt's dad (before you start in with " Yeah, but he was a wheel at AMC.. Helped war effort blah blah... MY dad was a wheel at Fischer Body at the same time, and he quit, enlisted, fought, then came back to his job )

Hell, even Obama has at least ONE vet in his family history (maternal GF), and 9/10ths of his relatives aren't even Americans!

How the hell do you raise as many kids as the Romney clan has, through a period when the nation has fought at least 10 armed conflicts, without any one of them enlisting, or at least being drafted, FFS?

Not sure what conclusion to draw from this, except, it is safe to say that serving the country militarily is not now, and never has been, a priority in the Romney family (and that is putting it mildly )

If anyone has info to refute this, like Mitt has a cousin in the Air Force, or a nephew in the Coast Guard, anything, please let me know!
I love how the media can find out everything about Romney from his great, great, great grandparents to a schoolyard fight 60 years ago. But they find out next to nothing about Obama!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,673,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I love how the media can find out everything about Romney from his great, great, great grandparents to a schoolyard fight 60 years ago. But they find out next to nothing about Obama!
And then 'they' cover-up, smother and suppress the next to nothing. But I sure don't ''love'' that the despicable media is so owned by...and sold out to the liberals....as they Are. I detest it !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections