Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM

1,403 posts, read 943,299 times

Advertisements

Its also an area NO ONE can hear you and its not a speaking slot despite what USA Today says.

RNC Relegates Ron Paul To ‘Freedom of Speech Zone’ For Upcoming Tampa Convention

Go ahead GOP don't pay attention to us. You are doing so at your own peril.

http://libertycrier.com/politics/rnc...pa-convention/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,040,847 times
I thought the whole United States is supposed to be a free speech zone.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM

29,268 posts, read 22,621,615 times
That article was most interesting. It now seems the Paulistas are at odds with Paul's own spokesman!

The article quoted the USA Today article:
" “They’ve just treated us like a friend and like a coalition,” said Jesse Benton, a spokesman for the Paul campaign. “They have been honest brokers in working with us and treated us with respect.”
Paul will hold a rally with supporters Aug. 26 at the University of South Florida’s Sun Dome — a venue convention planners helped him get."

I doubt that USA Today would make up a lie from whole cloth using the words of Jesse Benton. It's more likely to me that we are seeing a new depth to the Paulista's paranoia and anger- a couple of the very things that turned a lot of primary voters away from Paul.
Good work, guys. Keep it up. By August 27th, at this rate, you may be holding an alternate convention in St. Petersburg!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM

1,403 posts, read 943,299 times
Jesse Benton is a prick and a liar. I believe he is the reason the campaign crashed and burned. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes and works for Romney or some other establishment tool.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,539,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Jesse Benton is a prick and a liar. I believe he is the reason the campaign crashed and burned. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes and works for Romney or some other establishment tool.
Too bad Ron Paul has never done anything about it. I've never been impressed with Jesse Benton. AT most maybe half of his interviews with the media have been just O.K. when the rest have left a lot to be desired. He is hardly a cutting end pro campaign manager like someone of Ron Paul's stature and office he is running for pretty much requires.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,969,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That article was most interesting. It now seems the Paulistas are at odds with Paul's own spokesman!

The article quoted the USA Today article:
" “They’ve just treated us like a friend and like a coalition,” said Jesse Benton, a spokesman for the Paul campaign. “They have been honest brokers in working with us and treated us with respect.”
Paul will hold a rally with supporters Aug. 26 at the University of South Florida’s Sun Dome — a venue convention planners helped him get."

I doubt that USA Today would make up a lie from whole cloth using the words of Jesse Benton. It's more likely to me that we are seeing a new depth to the Paulista's paranoia and anger- a couple of the very things that turned a lot of primary voters away from Paul.
Good work, guys. Keep it up. By August 27th, at this rate, you may be holding an alternate convention in St. Petersburg!
Benton has never really made statements that I have seen Paul supporters would back. He is doubted by many as having some questionable history. Why he is a spokes person is a good question. He is a relative so that may have something to do with it.

This is not new. Just become more front and center.

Free Speech Zone. My god this country is becoming such a joke.

It's called spinning. Something the media or politicians love to do.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 AM

29,268 posts, read 22,621,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Benton has never really made statements that I have seen Paul supporters would back. He is doubted by many as having some questionable history. Why he is a spokes person is a good question. He is a relative so that may have something to do with it.

This is not new. Just become more front and center.

Free Speech Zone. My god this country is becoming such a joke.

It's called spinning. Something the media or politicians love to do.
I understand. More than one candidate has crashed on the rocks due to the bad choices, poorly thought out actions, or confusing statements made by the campaign manager. Steve Schmidt, McCain's 20008 manager and the person who brought Sarah Palin into the campaign comes to mind, but there have been many others in both parties.
Another, much older instance was Tom Eagleton, the VP pick for George McGovern in 1972. Some adviser picked him out and pushed him to McGovern, and then it was disclosed that he had undergone shock treatment for depression a few years earlier. McGovern, who was leading Nixon by a comfortable margin, sank like a rock after that, and was defeated in a landslide.

McCain could have fired Schmidt and dumped Palin early on, and McGovern could have done the same. Why they did not is something we will never know unless either reveals his thoughts in memoirs. Obviously, Paul has chosen to stick with Benton for unrevealed reasons.

But, at the same time, this isn't the first goat roping Paul has gone to. He must have had several managers over his many years in politics and has lived with the good and bad consequences that have come from them.

I didn't know much about Benton, so I did some digging on him. I came away with the impression that Jesse has jumped the gun on some important announcements, but Paul hasn't climbed his frame for doing so, and has not fired him, even though he has alienated Paul's base support.

If there are any answers as to why Benton is still in his position, you would know what they are much more than I, but I came away with the impression that Paul may have gotten tired and gave up the fight earlier than he should have.

Or, could it be that Paul is a realist and came to decide the game was over before his followers believed it was?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 AM

78,860 posts, read 46,937,193 times
Benton? who is that?

What happened to Wead?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:29 AM

26,831 posts, read 15,376,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I thought the whole United States is supposed to be a free speech zone.
Free Speech zones are for the extreme protestors and many groups use them worldwide, as an appeasement for not being able to partake in the convention on private property. Typically the free speech zone is full of anarchist or OWS types that compare everyone to Hitler and trash the area completely. It is a bit of an insult to put Ron Paul in with the hooligans.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,980,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I
Or, could it be that Paul is a realist and came to decide the game was over before his followers believed it was?
Or, it could be that Paul was and always will be a Republican with same good ideas - but mostly a lot of very, very bad ideas - who uses his self-promoting outsider image to keep himself relevant on a level that far exceeds the power of his office. He is a social conservative in a party full of social conservatives and his ideological connections to the "not going Gault" Libertarians are tenuous at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections