Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,517,638 times

Advertisements

I mean the way the Democrats and the MSM are telling it is if there are no wealthy Democrats. What about Oprah, David Geffen, Soros, etc.? So rich people supported Walker's recall defense, big deal. Why couldn't the Democrats get their wealthy supporters to support the Dem candidate?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/us...ration.html?hp
Quote:
The labor movement had forced the recall by directing a wave of anger against Mr. Walker’s bid to end collective bargaining for state workers. But Mr. Walker benefitted from a surge in contributions from wealthy conservative donors from around the country who raised more than $30 million to Mr. Barrett’s $4 million.

“The fact that you’ve got a handful of self-interested billionaires who are trying to leverage their money across the country,” said David Axelrod, Mr. Obama’s senior campaign strategist, said in an interview. “Does that concern me? Of course that concerns me.”

Mr. Obama’s Wisconsin state director, Tripp Wellde, blamed what he called “the flood of secret and corporate money spent on behalf of Scott Walker” for fueling a “politics of division” in the state that overwhelmed Mr. Barrett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,207,615 times
I read 3 newspapers a day and usually watch some CNN and listen to NPR. I don't recall ever hearing that there are no rich Democrats. Never read it or heard it, so what the hell are you talking about?

Super PAC's are horrible. We should have visibility to those who are giving money into the campaigns.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,161,906 times
Reporters from the NY Times, Washington Post, pick any Wisconsin newspaper, CNN and NPR gather in a room. One asks the crowd- raise your hand if you know anyone that voted for Walker. No hands raise. Person asks 'so how did this guy get elected.'

Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 AM

37,868 posts, read 41,280,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I read 3 newspapers a day and usually watch some CNN and listen to NPR. I don't recall ever hearing that there are no rich Democrats. Never read it or heard it, so what the hell are you talking about?

Super PAC's are horrible. We should have visibility to those who are giving money into the campaigns.
The OP is responding to all of the newspaper stories that in post election analysis say the reason Walker won is because he had more money coming in from a lot of places and the OP wants to know why rich Democrats didn't pony up for Barrett.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM

688 posts, read 655,537 times
Because government is bad for big business and the GOP thinks that the government should let business go unchecked (well, not entirely, but compared to the Dems anyway). Hence, the biggest corporations form the biggest super PACs to back GOP candidates. Yeah, Oprah's got money, but she don't got AT&T money.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:07 PM

29,268 posts, read 22,621,615 times
AT&T? Look to the Koch brothers. They have spent billions in their causes, have billions left, and are prepared to spend billions more.

Money did not decide the recall election. Voter's minds were made up long before election day on both sides.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:30 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,979,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I mean the way the Democrats and the MSM are telling it is if there are no wealthy Democrats. What about Oprah, David Geffen, Soros, etc.? So rich people supported Walker's recall defense, big deal. Why couldn't the Democrats get their wealthy supporters to support the Dem candidate?
Because
* The whole repub money-dependent super pac philosophy is corrupting our entire election process. Only the totality of repubs like it (since they get more from their philosophical brethren).
* The Dems as a party, unlike repubs, are not in jack-booted lockstep concerning their support for this system of govt.
The repubs get much more support from corporate fascist interests, both inside and outside, than the Democrats. Good for you perhaps, but not for America as it should be, or once was.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 06-10-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 01:32 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,207,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The OP is responding to all of the newspaper stories that in post election analysis say the reason Walker won is because he had more money coming in from a lot of places and the OP wants to know why rich Democrats didn't pony up for Barrett.
That makes sense. Why the **** didn't he say that then? I wish people would think before they start a thread.

I haven't looked at the issue and thus I won't offer an opinion. I'm guessing that there are far more corporate interests in WI who care than there are union members. The influence of money in a campaign is often overrated.

In either case, SPAC's are horrible for this country. Foreign terrorist groups can use them to funnel money into the political process for example. Not a good thing and this shifts more power to businesses away from voters.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,125,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/us...ration.html?hp
The dem problem is some of their traditional donors are holding out. That obama Super-Pac is a good example.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:45 PM

9,700 posts, read 5,148,759 times
I've said this before: Dems give money for a cause; Repub give me as an investment. Those two motivations are going to lead to drastically different giving levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections