Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you change your vote in the below hypothetical scenario?
Yes 3 15.00%
No 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times

Advertisements

Interesting question posed by a friend that I thought I'd share

Obama supporters: Say its nearing November. Unemployment has spiked to 12%. GDP growth is negative. The percentage of Americans in the labor force has reached a new low. The stock market has once again plummeted. Election day is coming up. Do you continue to vote for Obama, or do you vote for Mitt Romney?

Romney supporters: It's almost election day. GDP growth is at 4%, and on the rise. A new era of prosperity is emerging. Unemployment is down to 5% and all signs show that we will soon be returning to full employment. The stock market is very healthy and vibrant. Do you continue to vote for Romney, or do you vote to re-elect Barack Obama.

Obviously, in scenario one Romney would win and in scenario two Obama would win. Neither scenario will happen. But suppose it did happen. What would it take for you to change your vote? My guess is that most people on this forum would not change their vote. The most politically engaged tend to be the most partisan, or at least the most firm in their opinions. I expect Obama supporters to say "Yeah, that sucks, but Romney would just make it worse" and Romney supporters to say "Of course it would be wonderful if that could happen in spite of Obama, but I know Romney can sustain it and make it even better."

You can vote in the poll, but I would also like to see you elaborate on the answer if you wish, especially if your answer is "no." If that's teh case, what, if anything, would get you to vote for the other guy

I post the poll with these two candidates because they are the presumptive nominees. Even if you personally think Ron Paul will emerge victorious, this poll is about the two candidates declared the presumptive nominees. I know Paul supporters will vote for their guy anyways, we hear it all the time so it would almost be pointless to ask. But if you are a Paul supporter, I would love to hear your opinion on what it would take to get you to change your vote, if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 06:55 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
To me it is about a lot more than the economy. Good or bad, Romney is not going to be able to control the tea party and evangelicals and nut cases that have taken over the Republican party. The only way I would vote for Romney is if the Republicans were like the Republicans of old, center right. Actually, I would prefer center right policies over center left in many cases. But that is not what the House or the Republicans are about anymore. Romney has shown no stomach or inclination to stand firm against them, so I could never support him.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post

Obama supporters: Say its nearing November. Unemployment has spiked to 12%. GDP growth is negative. The percentage of Americans in the labor force has reached a new low. The stock market has once again plummeted. Election day is coming up. Do you continue to vote for Obama, or do you vote for Mitt Romney?

Romney supporters: It's almost election day. GDP growth is at 4%, and on the rise. A new era of prosperity is emerging. Unemployment is down to 5% and all signs show that we will soon be returning to full employment. The stock market is very healthy and vibrant. Do you continue to vote for Romney, or do you vote to re-elect Barack Obama.

Obviously, in scenario one Romney would win and in scenario two Obama would win. Neither scenario will happen. But suppose it did happen. What would it take for you to change your vote? My guess is that most people on this forum would not change their vote. The most politically engaged tend to be the most partisan, or at least the most firm in their opinions. I expect Obama supporters to say "Yeah, that sucks, but Romney would just make it worse" and Romney supporters to say "Of course it would be wonderful if that could happen in spite of Obama, but I know Romney can sustain it and make it even better."

You can vote in the poll, but I would also like to see you elaborate on the answer if you wish, especially if your answer is "no." If that's teh case, what, if anything, would get you to vote for the other guy

I post the poll with these two candidates because they are the presumptive nominees. Even if you personally think Ron Paul will emerge victorious, this poll is about the two candidates declared the presumptive nominees. I know Paul supporters will vote for their guy anyways, we hear it all the time so it would almost be pointless to ask. But if you are a Paul supporter, I would love to hear your opinion on what it would take to get you to change your vote, if anything.
With one change all of the bolded is entirely possible by November, if not even likely. Unemployment is not going to 5% that fast though. Maybe 7.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:

I would at least consider changing my vote. Being stubborn wouldn't accomplish anything. It would probably take something pretty extreme, though.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 PM

566 posts, read 958,339 times
Nothing. When it comes to the national election, I always vote Democrat regardless of who's running (for multiple reasons).

Last edited by midatlantic12; 05-07-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 07:10 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,882 times
I don't trust Romney. Or let's say that I trust him less than President Obama. I don't think Romney has any empathy for the middle and lower classes (or dogs). I think based on what he did for a living (corporate raider) and some of the things he says he is a cold hearted SOB who only cares about making himself wealthier. He can't even make empathetic words come out of his mouth for the sake of political appearances. He doesn't connect with people. I also don't trust that he is not bringing some kind of Mormon agenda of turning the country into a theocracy. Actually I feel like Romney may be missing a conscience. He's like a smirking self-righteous Ken doll with a pull string that spouts Republican platitudes. I don't think he understands the economy or foreign policy and I think he's too blind to his own deficiencies. I think he's a self-serving liar. I also think he is quite willing to be the puppet Grover Norquist dreams of.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
For me to vote Obama, between now and election day Mitt Romney would have to be caught in bed with a dead woman or a live boy.

'Zat answer your question?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
................Romney supporters: It's almost election day. GDP growth is at 4%, and on the rise. A new era of prosperity is emerging. Unemployment is down to 5% and all signs show that we will soon be returning to full employment. The stock market is very healthy and vibrant. Do you continue to vote for Romney, or do you vote to re-elect Barack Obama.........
For this to happen, Obama would have to renounce his war on prosperity, convince investors that capital would no longer be under attack, lead the country to a Simpson-Bowles style entitlement and tax reform with lower marginal rates with the garbage removed from the tax code, totally rein in the EPA's assault on the economy, and turn his back on the labor monopolists who dominate his current policies.

So yeah, when pigs fly, I'll gladly change my mind and vote for Barack Obama.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

Unemployment numbers are manipulated daily by the administrations mathematicians.

Compare to the Great Depression and how it was calculated then compared to today, based on who is collecting unemployment benefits.
You will be shocked!

The stock market is pumped right now, with inflated dollar bills.... Guess what government created bubbles do?

Quote:

SNIP:

With revised numbers not being told in the media, the 4% may really be 1% if that.

See above about unemployment.

For the stock market to go up any farther, Bernanke is going to have to fire up the printing press, which will remove money from the poor and middle class to pay for the rich to play in the stock market(which is risk based, unless the government subsidizes it)

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
The only way I would change my vote this year would be if the GOP nominated a candidate completely divorced from global corporations. That's not going to happen any time soon.

I'm not very well satisfied with Obama up to this point, though he's done some good things, but the idea of voting for just another corporate toady like we've had for most of the last 30 years gives me the willies. I want my grandkids and great-grandkids to grow up free citizens of a free country, not worker drones for global corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections