Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Top-tier GOP candidates Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, John McCain and Mitt Romney have all opted not to take part in tonight's Values Voter Presidential Debate in Ft. Lauderdale.

When asked Thursday why he will not attend the event, Thompson replied: "Debates are important, but let's don't let the tail wag the dog here. Standing up there ten in a row, you know, like a bunch of seals waiting for someone to throw you the next fish is not necessarily the best way to impart your information to the American people."

Tonight's forum, which will be moderated by Joseph Farah, the editor of WorldNetDaily, will feature Senator Sam Brownback (R-Kansas), former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, Congressmen Duncan Hunter (California), Ron Paul (Texas), and Tom Tancredo (Colorado), John Cox -- and former U.S. Ambassador Alan Keyes, who announced his candidacy over the weekend.

Top GOP candidates to skip 'Values Voter' forum (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
It is just that attitude that has made Fred Thompson's entry into this race lackluster at best.

Fred Thompson who hasn't attended a single debate yet is telling the American people that there are too many debates. Maybe Fred is as lazy as some have suggested.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"Standing up there ten in a row, you know, like a bunch of seals waiting for someone to throw you the next fish is not necessarily the best way to impart your information to the American people."
I actually think that's very descriptive of the debates, so far.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Top-tier GOP candidates Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, John McCain and Mitt Romney

Tonight's forum,will feature -- and former U.S. Ambassador Alan Keyes, who announced his candidacy over the weekend.

top tier candidates...says who?Every poll conducted puts RP ahead of those guys.Now Alan Keyes,this is a interesting twist,as I voted for him over Bush a loooooong time ago and always liked him.I'll be interested to see what he has to say though my vote for RP will be hard to change.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960
U.S. Ambassador Alan Keyes, who announced his candidacy over the weekend.
Moderator: "Mr. Keyes, how committed are you to Worldnetdaily's and this forum's version of "family values."

Alan Keyes: "Well, my own daughter is one of them hedonistic lesbians, and I'm so committed to my values that when she came out of the closet, I kicked her out of the house I was "up until then" paying for, and forbade her from returning to the family home. Now THAT'S family values."

::Audience stands and applauds, whooping and filled with hope for America::

Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
top tier candidates...says who?Every poll conducted puts RP ahead of those guys.Now Alan Keyes,this is a interesting twist,as I voted for him over Bush a loooooong time ago and always liked him.I'll be interested to see what he has to say though my vote for RP will be hard to change.
Lionking, don't forget about Ron Paul win, place or show in nearly every single straw poll since Iowa. Those places where people actually show up to vote.

I have noticed Fred Thompson's support isn't what most had hoped for as he is polling near that of Rudy and neither candidate would be able to defeat Hillary at this point. Something I am sure many in the GOP are freaking out over. Meanwhile they have a candidate that can but prefer to support neoconservatives instead of traditional conservatives, it is really quite odd.

All the spin in the world will not get a pro-war candidate elected this election cycle... period.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,405 times
If thompson actually gets asked a question in a debate, people will realize how bad a canidate he is, that's why he dosent go.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,860 times
Quote:
Top-tier GOP candidates Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, John McCain and Mitt Romney have all opted not to take part in tonight's Values Voter Presidential Debate in Ft. Lauderdale.

When asked Thursday why he will not attend the event, Thompson replied: "Debates are important, but let's don't let the tail wag the dog here. Standing up there ten in a row, you know, like a bunch of seals waiting for someone to throw you the next fish is not necessarily the best way to impart your information to the American people."

Tonight's forum, which will be moderated by Joseph Farah, the editor of WorldNetDaily, will feature Senator Sam Brownback (R-Kansas), former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, Congressmen Duncan Hunter (California), Ron Paul (Texas), and Tom Tancredo (Colorado), John Cox -- and former U.S. Ambassador Alan Keyes, who announced his candidacy over the weekend.

Actually....next month, the Family Research Council, one of the most influential conservative advocacy groups in Washington, will hold a Values Voters Summit that at least four GOP aspirants — former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas, Rep. Duncan Hunter of California and Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado — have pledged to attend. Afterward, the 2,000 or so council members who are expected to attend will be asked to participate in the group’s first straw poll.

Mitt wouldn't miss it, even though he will take on a lot of heat. But Mitt can come forward and say he has had a complete change of heart and Christians accept people who change for the better.

Thompson... if he doesn't show up, he will be written off by many. Giulliani, a LIBERAL will not show up... Rudy would do better in a Democrat crowd than at this Christian event. Rudy is a liberal!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:22 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,797,311 times
Another thing the Christian voting bloc has to come to grips with is that many younger Christians are becoming more liberal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But none of these figures is likely to emerge as a singular leader in the mode of Falwell, for the simple reason that the future evangelical movement will probably be less unified than its predecessors. As a result, political strategists may soon have to stop thinking of “the evangelical voter” as a shorthand term for a right-leaning voting bloc. “I’m sensing the emergence of an old guard and a new guard,” said Amy E. Black, a political scientist at Wheaton College, an evangelical school in Illinois.
While the break is not exclusively along generational lines, Black says, many of her students — the school is among the most culturally conservative in the country — are more likely than their elders to question the GOP line on issues such as climate change and human rights. Many have also begun to pull away from their elders’ support for the Iraq War — and to distance themselves from President Bush as a result.
At the same time, a number of prominent evangelical leaders have successfully wedded a more liberal outlook to their religious message. Jim Wallis, the self-styled evangelical progressive who founded and edits Sojourners magazine, is a familiar leader in this leftward faction. Richard Cizik, the Washington director of the National Association of Evangelicals, has launched a high-profile initiative to publicize the importance of global warming and other environmental causes for Christian believers — provoking Perkins and other evangelical leaders to press unsuccessfully for his ouster earlier this year. More-centrist figures, such as the popular baby boomer minister Rick Warren, author of “The Purpose Driven Life,” have staked out high-profile “social justice” mission projects. Warren has embarked on an aid initiative to transform the war-ravaged African nation of Rwanda into a “purpose-driven nation” and drew harsh criticism from religious conservatives for inviting Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, a leading candidate for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, to speak at an AIDS conference at his Saddleback Church in Orange County, Calif.

A Crisis of Political Faith for Evangelicals - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 09-17-2007, 01:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,864,057 times
Quote:
Tonight's forum, which will be moderated by Joseph Farah, the editor of WorldNetDaily, will feature...
That in itself calls the credibility of this event of into question. "WorldNutDaily" has a slightly off-the-deep-end reputation, even amongst us conservatives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections