Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,583,850 times

Advertisements

Here's why: Obama campaign shifts to also targeting Santorum - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/news/article/Obama-campaign-shifts-to-also-targeting-Santorum-3341312.php - broken link)

I'm still having a hard time understanding the rise of someone whose appeal shouldn't really go any further than people who are exactly like Kenneth the page on 30 Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,484,963 times
What is so hard for you to understand about Santorum's rise?

Quite a few Republicans want the US to become a theocracy.

Quite a few Republicans are also religious bigots who dislike Romney because he is Mormon.

I don't think Santorum is "finished" - at least not in the GOP primaries/caucuses - just because the Obama campaign has started targeting him. Much of what the Obama campaign will be using against him would actually be considered positive by a large segment of GOP primary/caucus voters.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-18-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,440,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think Santorum is "finished" - at least not in the GOP primaries/caucuses - just because the Obama campaign has started targeting him. Much of what the Obama campaign will be using against him would actually be considered positive by a large segment of GOP primary/caucus voters.

Very true...a lot of positions that can kill you in the general election can make you a hero in the primaries.The best thing that could happen to Santorum right now would be for Obama to pay attention to him.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:53 PM

9,895 posts, read 10,839,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Very true...a lot of positions that can kill you in the general election can make you a hero in the primaries.The best thing that could happen to Santorum right now would be for Obama to pay attention to him.
Agreed.........also , the left and the Paulinistas ought to be careful about labeling Santorum as somekind of fringe religous zealot.......It actually has the reverse effect of that intended.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,186,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post

Which, if they are, is exactly why they are.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Here's why: Obama campaign shifts to also targeting Santorum - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/news/article/Obama-campaign-shifts-to-also-targeting-Santorum-3341312.php - broken link)

I'm still having a hard time understanding the rise of someone whose appeal shouldn't really go any further than people who are exactly like Kenneth the page on 30 Rock.
If true ;then it only shows that Obama sees him as a threat. You don't waste time campaigning aginst a non-threat.That is why you sldom saw anyone campaign aginst Paul in either party much less debate him. In debate you let him have his say then ignore him to deabte the real competition.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:31 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,102,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

Maybe because there are more Kenneth the Page like people than you thought there were...

Old 02-18-2012, 04:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,964,057 times
Santorum doesn't have a chance. Romney has made some mistakes, but Santorum will never get enough delegates for the nomination, especially if Ron Paul & Newt Gingrich stay in the race. However, it does frighten me a little that so many people want to turn back the clock 50 years.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,424,843 times
The social agenda conservatives like Santorum and Gingrich better than Paul or Romney.
Newt is still in the game, even though he's lagging badly right now.

It's all about the delegates. If Santorum and Gingrich keep pulling delegates away from Romney, especially if they deny him a big win in a couple of swing states, Santorum could win out if Gingrich released his delegates to vote for Santorum.

While it is unlikely, the same scenario could play in reverse, with Gingrich getting Santorum's delegates. Either way, the guy with the lesser amount still ends up ahead, as there are plenty of future and present perks to being a close #3.

Romney must win big in at least 3 critical states, two of which are winner-take-all to lock up the nomination before the convention.
Even if Santorum loses the nomination, it would put him next in line as the nominee in 2016, and Republicans have always nominated the runner-up the next time around. This is Romney's last shot, as he is the current runner-up.

We still have a long way to go, folks. This one is likely to drag out to late May at the earliest, and may go all the way to the convention. Obama's people all know what the scenarios are, and are taking no chances.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,964,057 times
Default It would be funny if it wasn't so real

All I can say is the man said Social Security is in trouble because of abortion. Yes, those were his words. He said contraception harms women. In the Caffeinated interview he talked about the cross and preaching from the Bible and said that a President needs to use prayer to govern. It's about 45 minutes long, but just watch it and tell me this man wouldn't be standing in Salem ready to drown the first woman who questions the Holy Bible! "Is that a condom I see? He's a Devil. Cast out his demons!" So I need to edit my last comment where I wrote that we're turning the clock back 50 years. I should have written 300 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections