Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM

37,819 posts, read 41,126,784 times

Advertisements

"It’s one thing to get one’s usual allies to endorse a candidacy for higher office. It’s quite another to get one’s former opponent to give an endorsement. Kinky Friedman, who once ran against Rick Perry for governor and lost, writes a remarkable — and remarkably enjoyable — endorsement of Perry, both as a politician and a man."

Getting Kinky for Perry « Hot Air

"I have been quoted as saying that when I die, I am to be cremated, and the ashes are to be thrown in Rick Perry’s hair. Yet, simply put, Rick Perry and I are incapable of resisting each other’s charm. He is not only a good sport, he is a good, kindhearted man, and he once sat in on drums with ZZ Top. A guy like that can’t be all bad..More to the point, could Rick Perry fix the economy? Hell, yes! Texas is exhibit A; Rick’s fingerprints are all over it. He’s been governor since Christ was a cowboy. The Lone Star State is booming. The last time I checked, Texas is kicking in a hell of a lot of the U.S. GDP. Unemployment is lower than the vast majority of the other states. Hell, we could probably even find a job for Paul Begala."

For much more of Kinky on Rick Perry (it's funny):

Kinky Friedman: Rick Perry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:56 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,238,604 times
I have been quoted as saying that when I die, I am to be cremated, and the ashes are to be thrown in Rick Perry’s hair.

...and he once sat in on drums with ZZ Top

I read that page earlier today. I thoroughly enjoy Kinky Friedman and his amusement of Rick Perry. BTW, KBHutchison has also said she would vote for Perry. But I suspect she's just wants to be allowed to come back to Texas.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

37,819 posts, read 41,126,784 times
This is my favorite line in the endorsement (same link as op):

"Obama has done for the economy what pantyhose did for foreplay."

Old 08-25-2011, 02:30 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,977,203 times
An endorsement from a guy named Kinky, hmmmm.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM

485 posts, read 1,457,341 times
He writes frequent columns in Texas Monthly a pretty respected left leaning magazine, in case you aren't familiar with it.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
He writes frequent columns in Texas Monthly a pretty respected left leaning magazine, in case you aren't familiar with it.
I looked up the magazine. Had never heard of it. If this is your idea of a left leaning magazine, then what would you call Mother Jones or the Nation? Those are left leaning magazines. This is just a fluff magazine.

As for Kinky whatever, he is basically saying that Perry is a neo-con. That is what I kind of figured anyway.

"As a Jewish cowboy (or “Juusshh,” as we say in Texas), I know Rick Perry to be a true friend of Israel, like Bill Clinton and George W. before him. There exists a visceral John Wayne kinship between Israelis and Texans, and Rick Perry gets it. That’s why he’s visited Israel on many more occasions than Obama, who’s been there exactly zero times as president. If I were Obama I wouldn’t go either. His favorability rating in Israel once clocked in at 4 percent. Say what you will about the Israelis, but they are not slow out of the chute. They know who their friends are. On the topic of the Holy Land, there remains the little matter of God. God talks to televangelists, football coaches, and people in mental hospitals. Why shouldn’t he talk to Rick Perry? In the spirit of Joseph Heller, I have a covenant with God. I leave him alone and he leaves me alone. If, however, I have a big problem, I ask God for the answer. He tells Rick Perry. And Rick tells me."

Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 PM

485 posts, read 1,457,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I looked up the magazine. Had never heard of it. If this is your idea of a left leaning magazine, then what would you call Mother Jones or the Nation? Those are left leaning magazines. This is just a fluff magazine.

e."
For Texas this is a left leaning magazine -- not far left like the magazine you refer to. If you haven't heard of Texas Monthly, you show your ignorance; I would keep quiet about it if I were you. It is definitely not a fluff magazine, having some of the most in depth articles on a variety of subjects. I have been a subscriber for years even though I no longer live in Texas. One of the most memorable from several years ago was about an FBI sting operation against NASA/JSC that netted no wrong doing, cost millions in taxpayer $, and ruined the lives of a number of completely innocent people who were forced to hire lawyers and defend themselves before all charges were dropped. This operation was also highlighted on 60 minutes etc.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:48 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,922,698 times
Texas Monthly is a pretty famous, left-leaning magazine. It's won numerous journalism awards, it's nearly 40 years old, definitely not a fluff magazine. Look it up in Google Books if you have any questions about it, they really have an incredible archive for Texas Monthly there.

I think what may be the more interesting thing is that Perry has always been pretty positive when it comes to Kinky. Even when he was attacking Perry during the campaigns, Perry never said a bad word about him.

What you have with Kinky endorsing Perry is a demonstration of obvious respect -- earned respect. Not many people seem to do that these days; truly inspire respect of their opponents.

Sure, Kay Bailey and Karl Rove may hold a grudge... but I bet even they respect Perry, at least privately. He's a devastatingly effective campaigner, and he's proven he will never lose an election in Texas. It's just not possible. Other states we still have to see...

Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Texas Monthly is a pretty famous, left-leaning magazine. It's won numerous journalism awards, it's nearly 40 years old, definitely not a fluff magazine. Look it up in Google Books if you have any questions about it, they really have an incredible archive for Texas Monthly there.

I think what may be the more interesting thing is that Perry has always been pretty positive when it comes to Kinky. Even when he was attacking Perry during the campaigns, Perry never said a bad word about him.

What you have with Kinky endorsing Perry is a demonstration of obvious respect -- earned respect. Not many people seem to do that these days; truly inspire respect of their opponents.

Sure, Kay Bailey and Karl Rove may hold a grudge... but I bet even they respect Perry, at least privately. He's a devastatingly effective campaigner, and he's proven he will never lose an election in Texas. It's just not possible. Other states we still have to see...
Still. Never heard of it. Kinky apparently likes him because they both love Israel. Kinky is Jewish and Perry is a Neo-Con fundi. Those two groups have always had a love affair.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,856,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"It’s one thing to get one’s usual allies to endorse a candidacy for higher office. It’s quite another to get one’s former opponent to give an endorsement. Kinky Friedman, who once ran against Rick Perry for governor and lost, writes a remarkable — and remarkably enjoyable — endorsement of Perry, both as a politician and a man."

Getting Kinky for Perry « Hot Air

"I have been quoted as saying that when I die, I am to be cremated, and the ashes are to be thrown in Rick Perry’s hair. Yet, simply put, Rick Perry and I are incapable of resisting each other’s charm. He is not only a good sport, he is a good, kindhearted man, and he once sat in on drums with ZZ Top. A guy like that can’t be all bad..More to the point, could Rick Perry fix the economy? Hell, yes! Texas is exhibit A; Rick’s fingerprints are all over it. He’s been governor since Christ was a cowboy. The Lone Star State is booming. The last time I checked, Texas is kicking in a hell of a lot of the U.S. GDP. Unemployment is lower than the vast majority of the other states. Hell, we could probably even find a job for Paul Begala."

For much more of Kinky on Rick Perry (it's funny):

Kinky Friedman: Rick Perry

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Only from Kinky's mouth! Great article for The Daily Beast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections