Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the latest date a candidate can declare they are a candidate for the 2012 presidential election? I tried to research it but I'm probably using the wrong terminology. Historically speaking, has any late-declaring candidate ever become president?

Sometime this week I read an opinion article that said something to the effect that Chris Christie says he's not ready now but maybe he'd think he's ready in a year from now. If he could legally wait until, say the Spring of 2012, to declare his candidacy, what would be the advantages/disadvantages? I'm thinking he wouldn't have to raise an enormous amount of money because of a late starting campaign plus the idea that he just popped out of the woodwork at the last minute would give him a tremendous amount of free publicity from the media eager for a surprising story in a one-side primary race. He already uses videos effectively to promote what he's doing. He would have missed most of the debates but he'd be pretty well-known for what he accomplished as opposed to debate talk of what candidates would do. Not sure of how it would work at the Convention.

And I'm just using Chris Christie as an example. What's to stop any candidate from waiting until the last minute possible to declare they're running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
You can always write in who you want.

Just think if a majority write in someone not even on the ballot!

That would be historic, dating back to our very first President.

Just think what the left would do, if they campaigned and campaigned against some Republican that made it through the primaries. Pouring tons of money, bankrupting the DNC and RNC for that matter and someone not running and have made it very vocal they were not running, got a write in win??
Someone like Chris Christie. Just think... Glenn Beck, President of the United States of America.

Would that give the media something to discuss?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Does anyone know the latest date a candidate can declare they are a candidate for the 2012 presidential election? I tried to research it but I'm probably using the wrong terminology. Historically speaking, has any late-declaring candidate ever become president?

Sometime this week I read an opinion article that said something to the effect that Chris Christie says he's not ready now but maybe he'd think he's ready in a year from now. If he could legally wait until, say the Spring of 2012, to declare his candidacy, what would be the advantages/disadvantages? I'm thinking he wouldn't have to raise an enormous amount of money because of a late starting campaign plus the idea that he just popped out of the woodwork at the last minute would give him a tremendous amount of free publicity from the media eager for a surprising story in a one-side primary race. He already uses videos effectively to promote what he's doing. He would have missed most of the debates but he'd be pretty well-known for what he accomplished as opposed to debate talk of what candidates would do. Not sure of how it would work at the Convention.

And I'm just using Chris Christie as an example. What's to stop any candidate from waiting until the last minute possible to declare they're running?
A year from now would be too late. Others would have a huge jump on him. Anyone who is serious needs to jump in by mid or late summer.

Nita

Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 AM

22,214 posts, read 19,504,200 times
After what went on in 2008 with each state trying to one up each other and push things ahead earlier some rules were put in place, however the Spring of 2012 would certainly be too late. The early Caucuses and Primaries (Iowa, N.H, South Carolina, Nevada are all likely to be done in February (Feb 6th is the tentative date for the Iowa Caucus which would be the first one). All others would be in March (if the state wanted delegates based on proportion of vote) or from April onward (if the state wanted winner take all).

Any candidate running would obviously need to be on board prior to the early caucuses and Primaries, and in order to qualify for the ballot you likely would need to be declared months prior to that. I would say any serious candidate would need to be declared by this Spring, perhaps the summer at the latest, but several debates have already been scheduled for the Spring (May 2nd being the first one).

Looking at the 08 Primaries, by April of 2007 pretty much all of the GOP candidates were already announced (many made the announcement in Jan or Feb), the only two that didn't were Alan Keyes and Fred Thompson, they didn't announce until September 07.

Last edited by Smash255; 01-29-2011 at 02:12 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
After what went on in 2008 with each state trying to one up each other and push things ahead earlier some rules were put in place, however the Spring of 2012 would certainly be too late. The early Caucuses and Primaries (Iowa, N.H, South Carolina, Nevada are all likely to be done in February (Feb 6th is the tentative date for the Iowa Caucus which would be the first one). All others would be in March (if the state wanted delegates based on proportion of vote) or from April onward (if the state wanted winner take all).

Any candidate running would obviously need to be on board prior to the early caucuses and Primaries, and in order to qualify for the ballot you likely would need to be declared months prior to that. I would say any serious candidate would need to be declared by this Spring, perhaps the summer at the latest, but several debates have already been scheduled for the Spring (May 2nd being the first one).

Looking at the 08 Primaries, by April of 2007 pretty much all of the GOP candidates were already announced (many made the announcement in Jan or Feb), the only two that didn't were Alan Keyes and Fred Thompson, they didn't announce until September 07.
And Sept is one thing that I feel hurt Thompson. Of course I don't think he really wanted to be Pres. We just wanted him.

Nita

Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just think what the left would do, if they campaigned and campaigned against some Republican that made it through the primaries. Pouring tons of money, bankrupting the DNC and RNC for that matter and someone not running and have made it very vocal they were not running, got a write in win??
Leading up to 2008, the GOP put all of its eggs in the Hillary Clinton basket. I got a ton of anti-Clinton themed requests for donations. Obama was never on their radar screen. They pi**ed away a ton of money campaigning against her.

But no one has yet been able to tell me the latest date a candidate can declare.

I think a write in campaign would only work at the state level.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Leading up to 2008, the GOP put all of its eggs in the Hillary Clinton basket. I got a ton of anti-Clinton themed requests for donations. Obama was never on their radar screen. They pi**ed away a ton of money campaigning against her.

But no one has yet been able to tell me the latest date a candidate can declare.

I think a write in campaign would only work at the state level.
I don't think an exact date exists on the latest someone can technically declare.
Some of the early Primary state (N.H & S.C) had their filing deadlines for those Primaries in late Oct/early Nov of 07. I assume its going to be around the same time this year. Not sure about the deadlines for the other early Primary states. Now you don't technically need to be on the early Primary ballots in order to win the nomination. I'm sure someone can technically declare in Feb of next year or something like that, but they would literally have no chance.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:55 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,828,557 times
I'm sure we will start seeing candidates start earlier than ever this year to get the fund raising started. Likely I think we'll start seeing candidates by the summer.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'm sure we will start seeing candidates start earlier than ever this year to get the fund raising started. Likely I think we'll start seeing candidates by the summer.
Oh, we will see them way before summer. I am guessing within the next 3 months we will have 3 or 4 announce.

Nita

Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh, we will see them way before summer. I am guessing within the next 3 months we will have 3 or 4 announce.

Nita
Agreed in fact I would say I expect all the big names who run to be in by Memorial Day at the latest and likely will all be in prior to the first debates in early May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections