Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 AM

47 posts, read 85,280 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if you folks believe in this ongoing climate change or global warming stuff. Are we seeing any change in el paso area already? I was looking at the mountain yesterday and even though it is spring, it seems like lush green already...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:38 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Here we go ...

Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Rain?

Has El Paso received rain recently? As I recall, anytime it rained the mountains turned green. Seems fundamental to me, plus as the OP said, it is Spring.

In the current context of the Climate Change/Global Warming debate, the effect would be the opposite, no rain, and dry brown montains. So no, it is not Global Warming/Climate Change, just Spring... enjoy it!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 AM

276 posts, read 805,475 times
From my short time here, El Paso does appear greener.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,983 times
The Franklin Mountains have always been greener during the Spring, and usually when it rains at the right time the poppies come out. This isn't global warming as global warming is myth as it always has been.
If you do a little meteorology history, the world has always fluctuated in its global temperature. If you recall in the 70s there was talk about the world climate cooling. What happened there? In the 1800s there was a little Ice Age that caused famine. In the 30's was the Dust Bowl which made the corn belt dry.
No there is no GLobal Warming ans yes, the green mountains are normal every 5 years or so due to El Nino and La Nina weather patterns.
That's my soap box for the day.
And if global warming was happening, I welcome it. I hate cold weather anyways.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
The El Nino in the Pacific brought higher then normal levels of rain to most of Texas this winter and spring, I'm sure El Paso benefited from that. It seems to be slacking off though, we have had far less rain in the last 3 weeks.

Quote:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123380157
El Nino has done some good, though, in the Southwestern United States.

"Nobody can remember seeing such a small amount of drought on the map," he says, "So this El Nino has taken a pretty big bite out of some pretty severe drought conditions that had developed last summer."

Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
The Franklin Mountains have always been greener during the Spring, and usually when it rains at the right time the poppies come out. This isn't global warming as global warming is myth as it always has been.
If you do a little meteorology history, the world has always fluctuated in its global temperature. If you recall in the 70s there was talk about the world climate cooling. What happened there? In the 1800s there was a little Ice Age that caused famine. In the 30's was the Dust Bowl which made the corn belt dry.
No there is no GLobal Warming ans yes, the green mountains are normal every 5 years or so due to El Nino and La Nina weather patterns.
That's my soap box for the day.
And if global warming was happening, I welcome it. I hate cold weather anyways.
No global warming is a fact. Global average mean temperatures have been increasing trend wise for decades to their highest levels in recorded history.

The only argument is whether the cause of this rise is man made or we're just in some normal pattern.

Global warming is a fact and anyone who says otherwise just shows themselves to be totally ignorant of basic science.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It was a very rainy and cold winter. There were days it didn't get out of the 40's, and it rained like it wasn't El Paso winter.

The desert plants hold water in their roots, so if it rains after the monsoon season, the spring has a chance of being green. Sometimes we get very little rain and things turn kind of brown and tan but you can tell when there's been a lot of rain by the green hue of the mountain.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
The only argument is whether the cause of this rise is man made or we're just in some normal pattern.
Yeah, like i said, it's a normal weather pattern, not man made if you didnt understand my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso