Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,721,380 times

Advertisements

An article was pointed out in the Albuquerque forum today that Fortune rated the best places to own real estate. The good news...drum roll...is that El Paso comes in #2 in the NATION on the list! They project El Paso real estate to rise 7.1% in value in 2007 and 4.4% in value in 2008. So for those who own a home in El Paso - or have thoughts of perhaps selling one this year or next, you are well positioned.

The median house price is $124,410...which considering some of the higher ticket houses in the West Side / Upper Valley - is just extraordinarily affordable still compared to many US markets.

Here is the top 10 List as well as other cities' rankings:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/20/maga...ion=2006122106

*(The subject for this thread is incorrect...it wasn't Money Magazine...it was Fortune - sorry for the error)

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 04-11-2007 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 AM

421 posts, read 2,157,709 times
Wow this is great news! Not that I ever plan on selling my house, but good to know its value will only be going up in the next few years.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:39 AM

23 posts, read 72,419 times
Default Unfortunately

there is a massive correction now taking shape in the country at this point. This will have an effect everywhere because a lot of people who could qualify for mortgages in 2006 will no longer be in the market. In addition those who did take out these risky loans, and there was many, will be hitting the market with foreclosures. This will affect supply and demand and is projected to lower housing prices. I feel El Paso will be affected since there was a lot of speculation in housing in our market by investors, plus El Paso's low income base was a target for many of these subprime loans.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:34 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,446,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
there is a massive correction now taking shape in the country at this point. This will have an effect everywhere because a lot of people who could qualify for mortgages in 2006 will no longer be in the market. In addition those who did take out these risky loans, and there was many, will be hitting the market with foreclosures. This will affect supply and demand and is projected to lower housing prices. I feel El Paso will be affected since there was a lot of speculation in housing in our market by investors, plus El Paso's low income base was a target for many of these subprime loans.
Even though El Paso is low income for the most part, there is a considerable % of the population that have wealth. Many "rich" mexican nationals own various properties in and around the city. Security for themselves, and their families is the main reason for relocating to El Paso since being wealthy in Mexico can be very dangerous (kidnappings for ransom very common). My point is this; I have always suspected that alot of the dirving force for the housing market in El Paso were these type of people, and as more and more buy into the city since the security in Mexico wont improve anytime soon, will keep prices from sliding at least.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:15 AM

23 posts, read 72,419 times
Default Creative Financing

You didnt need to be wealthy to get into those $500,000 to $750,000 homes on the Westside. You could have been making less than $20,000 and still qualified for those homes. All affordable until these loans reset to a higher rate.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:30 AM
jfe

61 posts, read 284,164 times
How is that good news?

It means more property taxes

Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,721,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
How is that good news?

It means more property taxes
But it also means that the value of your house is worth quite a bit more in resale. So if you bought a house in 2004 for $100K, all of a sudden you are sitting on a rather nice investment should you decide to sell.

Surely there are pros and cons to houses / properties going up in value or going down/standing pat, yet, at the end of the day, in this tenuous real estate market where bubbles are bursting all over typically it is ideal for a home owner to have their home value increasing rather than the alternative.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:54 PM

421 posts, read 2,157,709 times
I'd rather pay a little extra in property taxes and have my home increase in value than its value remain stagnant. Really I dont see the problem unless someone bought a house they obviously can't afford in the first place.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
"I'd rather pay a little extra in property taxes and have my home increase in value than its value remain stagnant."

Not I. Unless you're planning to sell your house, the property taxes don't make it better at all -- and property taxes are ridiculous in El Paso and always going up.

If you like living where you're living and don't wish to sell it does you no good at all to have prices climb so high.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
"Many "rich" mexican nationals own various properties in and around the city."

Yes -- especially those $3 and $4 million houses they start building and then when the FBI starts poking around just sit idle and don't get finished.

The big big money is all from Mexico -- like you said moving over for the better security they feel here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: