Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,217,616 times

Advertisements

Just curious, my grandpa, when he was younger, used to play "washas" w my uncles at every family gathering, they took it pretty serious. At times they even played for money. El Barrio Park, which is a block from where i grew up, used to even have big ole washa tournaments. Washas for those that dont know what im talking about, is just the SPANGLISH term for washers, like these http://www.originalwashers.com/galle...nd1_small..jpg, they used to dig holes on the ground and toss these washers, and try to make in the hole. I recall alot of parks, already the holes specifically for washas. Was this just a south central el paso phenomenom, or did any of your family members ever play this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Not only my Grandfathers, but my Dad's generation, and mine as well. Many people still play.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
LOL I don't think it's a local phenomenom - I remember watching my great uncles and other relatives playing "washas!" Kind of like "pitching pennies" too.

I know it's still being played here - I read something about regular games not long ago. I'll have to look it up because I'd like to observe a game or two, just for old times sake.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:14 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
We played washers all the time......and the holes were lined with tin cans! This was on our river lease (not far from Comstock/Del Rio) rather than EP!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
We played washers all the time......and the holes were lined with tin cans! This was on our river lease (not far from Comstock/Del Rio) rather than EP!
Cathy played washas .

We always played washas with our neighbors when we'd go to Memorial Park off of Copia st. when we were kids back in the day .

Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,948 times
sounds like it was only a ghetto thing.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catetote13 View Post
sounds like it was only a ghetto thing.
So what does little miss prissy girlie like to play? Barbies? I bet only the blonde versions right?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM

I visited Ohio once and the folks there had a similiar concept to washas. I dont remember the name of the game but it consisted of bean bags. So you stood some distance and you lobbed the bags over to some type contraption that had numbers on it. If you hit it then you add up the numbers and the higher score wins. The teams consisted of two per.

Yea washas were the bomb!! So much fun. How about chinchi-lawa(Sp?)?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,217,616 times
How about chinchi-lawa(Sp?)? yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! i repped you for that, i was going to ask that, but thought nobody would know what the heck i was talking about! lol All the neighborhood kids would play that, for alot of us that was the first time we "copped a feel" from the older teenaged girls!!! lol

Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
How about chinchi-lawa(Sp?)? yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! i repped you for that, i was going to ask that, but thought nobody would know what the heck i was talking about! lol All the neighborhood kids would play that, for alot of us that was the first time we "copped a feel" from the older teenaged girls!!! lol

it was all boys when we played chinchi-lawa. But it was hide and seek with the girls....memories

how about wall-ball chicano style? you get a tennis ball and throw it against the wall. the next guy that tries to catch it but drops it better run fast to the wall or get slammed by the next guy who picks it up. I dont remember what caused you to get the firing squad. the guilty guy had to face the wall and get slammed by everyone playing one at a time.

i remember playing "War" or "dodge ball" while at Ross JR High. the coach would line up some flat volleyballs on both sides of the mid-court line on the basketball court. we'd lay down on our backs at each end of the court and when the coach blew the whistle we'd get up and dash to get a ball. then we'd throw it at each and try to "kill" the enemy.

I remember one game of WAR in particular when one guy "accidentily" hit Coach Hartley in the back of the leg. OMG...you dont get him upset or else. He was soooooo pissed but I dont recall what happened to that guy. I guess fear has blocked that memory....lol

Those were the good ole days for me. Care free and the only worries were trying to avoid getting pimples...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso