Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 PM

479 posts, read 1,295,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
You people should also thank the veterans like my father and I that served in the military and both got honorable discharges..we served with pride and hardly anyone thanks us females..we had to go through the same basic training as the males were and were not given any special treatment!
not sure exactly who your talking to here (you people?) but I do know lots of veterans and lots of female soldiers and while being a soldier is many a time a thankless job ~~~its an honorable one, and where were at even the female soldiers get the same gratitude as the male ones. I have a few female soldier friends as well and they never felt that no one appreciated them ~ nor asked for thanks.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone they should thank me, but as a spouce of a soldier we have hard rows to hoe too, and my kids who go with out daddy when he's deployed ~ but like i said i wouldn't tell people to thank me or my husband or our fathers ~~~ we do what we do cuz we love it and it gives us honor ~ not b/c we expect thank yous from others.

At any rate, thank you Xchucoresident for your service to our country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:14 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,638,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
not sure exactly who your talking to here (you people?)
LOL..........

Trust me as we in the Navy would have loved it if there were woman sailors on destroyers as we at times would go for 30, 60 and sometimes up to 90 days out in the water without hitting land or seeing a woman in sight. Wow did we envy the Airforce Servicemen .

Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
LOL..........

Trust me as we in the Navy would have loved it if there were woman sailors on destroyers as we at times would go for 30, 60 and sometimes up to 90 days out in the water without hitting land or seeing a woman in sight. Wow did we envy the Airforce Servicemen .

lol I bet hehe. My husband is army and I was amazed at how many women he said were in Iraq!!! He is infantry so there are never any women in his unit, but there are a lot of women in the military these days. I always tell him I would join up too but hehehe I'd hate to be yelled at hahahah I'd never make it past basic training i dont think.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
lol I bet hehe. My husband is army and I was amazed at how many women he said were in Iraq!!! He is infantry so there are never any women in his unit, but there are a lot of women in the military these days. I always tell him I would join up too but hehehe I'd hate to be yelled at hahahah I'd never make it past basic training i dont think.
Yeap i see the Carriers all have woman as i'm sure it's easy to seperate the berthing spaces (living areas) and also the restrooms etc. As for a Destroyer, Fast Frigate or Submarine that would probably be impossible.

As for thanking someone in the military ....
a. I didn't even know the person who said we should thank them was even in the military so why are they even saying that.
b. As for me while i enjoy talking to those who ask about the Navy etc. i'd never tell anyone to ''thank'' me as that is arrogant to state something like that.

Oh well just gotta laugh sometimes .

Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 AM

34 posts, read 81,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Yeap i see the Carriers all have woman as i'm sure it's easy to seperate the berthing spaces (living areas) and also the restrooms etc. As for a Destroyer, Fast Frigate or Submarine that would probably be impossible.

As for thanking someone in the military ....
a. I didn't even know the person who said we should thank them was even in the military so why are they even saying that.
b. As for me while i enjoy talking to those who ask about the Navy etc. i'd never tell anyone to ''thank'' me as that is arrogant to state something like that.

Oh well just gotta laugh sometimes .
Hey 6' I have been in the Army for 22 years and all that time never really seen anything from the Navy. I went to Norfolk Va 2 weekends ago and was amazed at the actual size of ships. Just thought I would share that, by the way did you hit your head a lot?lol

Old 03-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnjmaster View Post
Hey 6' I have been in the Army for 22 years and all that time never really seen anything from the Navy. I went to Norfolk Va 2 weekends ago and was amazed at the actual size of ships. Just thought I would share that, by the way did you hit your head a lot?lol
Norfolk was crazy with all the different navy bases there as i was assigned to the Shipyards for a while as i loved that duty station being around all the different naval ships in Drydock.

LOL....yeap i always had to walk with my head down and learned to see looking down ahead of me as i would bang my head as there was always steam pipes and electrical conduits etc.. in the overheads especially walking thrru the ''Watertight'' doors separating the compartments .

I only saw the Army (Rangers) once while in the Navy over in Grenada after Prez Reagan ordered them to throw out the Cubans after Castro invaded it and assasinated the Prime Minister there back in 84. We'd also see the Marines everywhere at the navy bases including on certain ships (LST's and Aircraft Carriers) as they are the security detail of the Nuclear Reactors and also protect the Admiral when it's his ''flag ship'' on the carrier.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
by the way did you hit your head a lot?lol
LOLOL I was thinking the same thing!!!!

Quote:
exactly ~ the thing is you can't do something for someone and then TELL them to thank you............every soldier, sailor, has their own reasons for joining, and you guys make your own choice to join, its an honorable job, and most (hopefully ) do it because they want to serve and protect their country. You DO NOT do it to hear other people tell you "thanks" although it IS nice when you get thanked. Ha ha its kinda like bein a mom ~ you don't expect your kids to thank you for being a live everyday, even though it is soo nice and rewarding when you get a "thanks for all you do mom" ~ when its their choice and spontaneous!!!!

hehe sorry im rambling, but its a topic I feel strongly about! However, I also wasn't aware that she was prior service ~ so I would have never known to thank her for her service.

Kinda confused how it fit into this thread???? But I am sorry im not trying to hijack this thread from its origins!!!! How is it goin JettoFunk???? Any luck on getting into your unit that you wanted???

Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

34 posts, read 81,509 times
I was in 2nd Ranger Bat for 9 years out of my 22 but I was a bit to young to be in Grenada

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnjmaster View Post
I was in 2nd Ranger Bat for 9 years out of my 22 but I was a bit to young to be in Grenada
(If you want to move this to the EP chattin thread bowie go ahead.)

It was cool seeing the Rangers walking all over the island with their AK 47's as i was one of the few who got to go ashore on the Captain's Gig (Captain's Boat) as i was one of the ''Deck Crew'' assigned to it as our ship was actually anchored in the harbor several miles out as it still was too dangerous as there were cuban elements holding out.

So when the high ranking officers went ashore to have a ''cold one'' with the army brass for several hours we had to hang around and guard the boat as we would strike up a conversation with the Rangers passing by as it was a cool experience talking with them and what they encountered.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,525 times
Default Moving To El Paso in April

Hello,

My wife and I plus 9 yrd son are moving to El paso in early April from Cleveland OH and would like to know what parts of town are safe with cheap good housing. Plus my 9 yrd son is Autistic and I would need some info on special schooling for him. I am 35 yrd Puerto rican and my with is 34 yrd Korean.
Would we have any problems due to are race? We are very quiet people who get along with everybody no matter what race they are. Reason for are move is that Cleveland is getting worse by the day. No opportunity here at all for my family. School system doesnt care about my sons well being at all. Also I am a home based business owner in the Sports Memorabilia field and would like to know what kind of Sportscards stores are out there as well. We can afford rent of about $700-900 a month.
My wife chose El Paso after reading up on info about the cost of living.
I prefer Dallas only because I am a die hard Cowboys fan lol. But wife knows best lol. Thank you in advance to who responds. God bless, Rob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso