Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 AM

114 posts, read 366,338 times

Advertisements

El Paso rockets up list of hottest cities - El Paso Times

Out of 335 communities, El Paso now ranks 96th based on several factors, job creation being one of the top reasons. El Paso ranks 26th with its mid size relatives.

As the WSJ indicated, this city is poised for tremendous, quality growth. As Inc. points out, many factors are driving the resurgence which points to balanced growth for the coming decade.

With the approval now of a new William Beaumont Army Hospital , the likelyhood of a Veteran's Hospital and the development of the Medical Cneters of the Americas, this region will definitely become the regional center it once was.

Most of the negative stuff mentioned on some of the other blogs will be ovecome and as people come to visit they will see the change. As I tell everyone, in five years you will recognize a lot of quality growth throughout the city. it is going to be a nice change of pace; positve for once just like in the old days when El paso was the center of the Southwest.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 AM

105 posts, read 494,306 times
In five years, wages will still be far below the national average, and the educational system will still stink.

The article mentions job growth, but not what KIND of jobs. If you want highly skilled, highly educated workers in Texas, you look to Dallas, Houston, or Austin. I wish that were not the case, but it is. To get to the level of Dallas, there will need to be some systemic changes in the city, and simply bringing in transient GI's and government hospitals won't do the trick.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM

710 posts, read 2,963,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanWest View Post
In five years, wages will still be far below the national average, and the educational system will still stink.

The article mentions job growth, but not what KIND of jobs. If you want highly skilled, highly educated workers in Texas, you look to Dallas, Houston, or Austin. I wish that were not the case, but it is. To get to the level of Dallas, there will need to be some systemic changes in the city, and simply bringing in transient GI's and government hospitals won't do the trick.

While you make some valid points about what needs to change in El Paso, I think it is important to note that by them adding jobs this year regardless of type, EP is fairing better than most of the nation. If EP can maintain this level for a few years, you'll start to notice the "Systemic Change" taking place.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,963,142 times
Miner let me paint you a picture.

You have a nice level piece of land, next to you your buddy does to. You start to dig a hole a foot every year, while your buddy plants things. After a hundred years go by, you have a 100 foot hole your standing in and cant get out of.. your buddy, has had several crops, and now has a house a barn and a good steady income. You realized you went wrong some place but have not yet figured it out, but you have a plan your going to slowly chip the sides of your hole away to fill what you standing in to get out. You do this for another 50 years.. now your in a bigger hole and still no where near the top. your buddy however has grown and bought land around him and expanded his operation.

What I am getting at is that El Paso has been in a hole for so long, and she is trying to get out, but without the proper leadership, she just makes a bigger hole. Ahh yes the positive is we have more room in our hole now.. but its a hole none the less. We can't grow and become that OASIS in the desert until we get ourselves out of this hole. I am all for your positive attitude.. but wishing something well, and being positive is not gonna do it alone.. its a good start.. but honestly, El Pasoans like the way the city is, the free hand outs and the welfare. They don't want to go changing that. The few that do, end up frustrated and move away... some come here like Paul Foster and mask what they are doing as helping, but they are just out to make a buck on the backs of the poor here, don't let him fool you. He is here because people stroke his ego. The man is an ass. But that is another debate all together. So like I said Miner.. keep up the positive attitude, and keep thinking everything will be ok.. maybe if you will it real hard, it will come true.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,396,045 times
Sorry, but is this thread not a duplicate of this one?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/el-pa...es-do-biz.html

Last edited by WildWestDude; 08-06-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,462,342 times
Moderator cut: Duplicate thread just as reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso