Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:55 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,221,846 times

Advertisements

Personally i love my city, it embodies everything i represent, its blue collar, we work for everything we have [almost have to beg Austin to recognize us for being part of Texas],yes, we are a lil rough on the edges and yes we like to party, But ive been to other citys, bigger, cleaner, more serene, etc etc...but i wouldnt trade my beloved El Paso to live somewher else, ok ok maybe San Diego [lol] Anyway, It ticks me off to read all these negative post about my city , ive almost gotten in altercations once or twice, defending my city. Childish or not, i dont care, "LOVE OR LEAVE IT ALONE" is my motto, so to all my El Paso lovers, I send out my respects, we will rise up once again, and prove all naysayers wrong.I dont know what it is, i guess alot of it has to do with where i grew up at. I went to BOWIE, LA BOWIE to be exact, and im very proud of that![i know u already talking smack, and yes i know the state is threatening to close it down]anyway...all my friends are succesful in their respective fields now, and yes we worked hard for everything weve aquired, so i guess thats why i relate and will fight to the death for my El Paso.People are always talking about out lack of cultural diversity, and yes i am hispanic, but from personal trials and tribulations, El PASO is one of the friendliest places on earth, we'll accept anybody [as long as they bring beer lol].Remember....the 1966 MINERS hello!!! The Downtown revitilization will happen, and yes i guess at that time, you all haters can jump on the bandwagon once again...... aaaaahhhhhhhh, had to get that off my chest.... feel free to give el paso sum love....

----

[edit by Moderator Bowie]

I just want to caution that this should not be considered the ONLY place in the El Paso forum where people are permitted to post positive opinions. Carry on.

[/edit]

Last edited by Bo; 10-23-2008 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Added a note at the end.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 48,156 times
Default New member

Hi I started reading this forum a couple of days ago and decided to sign up to let you know what I think. I currently live in Seattle, but I'll be moving back to EP in the next month. I was one of those EP haters, and I was always saying that it was ugly and that there was nothing to do. Well, I have now lived in various big cities, and let me tell you something, a city is what you make of it. Here in Seattle, sure there are lots of things to do, but if you are alone it doesn't matter. Moreover, if there is no sun nothing else matters.

Anyway, I'll be moving back to be with those that I love most, and that is what makes EP a great city.
Not only that, I'll be able to see the sun 300 days every year and experience good weather. Also, now that I think about it there are plenty things to do there:
Opera
Symphony
Viva el Paso
UTEP dinner theather
UTEP athletics
Lots of bars/restaurants
GOOD and CHEAP food

Now that I've experience other places, I can sincerely say that EL Paso is a great place to live. Like many people have said, we have the nicest people around. I truly believe that people in EP are excited about new things to come.... I am too.
I think all of us who love EP need to work hard to make it better. I am very positive it will happen soon.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:45 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,624 times
I LOVE EL PASO A HECK OF ALOT, it's my hometown and I'm proud to be from there just like anyone else is proud of their towns, I've traveled throughout the world in my adventurous days but no matter where I went I always took El Paso with me in my thoughts, (cant wait to get back home I would think to myself) the very first time I went to Hawaii in 1975 to see a UTEP football game I got homesick upon arrival considering that Hawaii is a very beautiful place.

El Paso is my home, and I know that my home needs alot of improvements like a new med school a new childrens hospital, new freeways,a better selection of good paying jobs,a rivitalized downtown an amusement theme park and every single El Paso kid should finish and have the opportunity to finish school, education is very important for El Paso's future and these kids need to stay in school and get the diploma and go to college.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:41 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,608,238 times
one of the things that i like about living here is that i can go to my local bar and rub elbows with millionaires, lawyers ,doctor's,judges,etc etc and hang out and talk about nothing

Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,960,642 times
Something Positive - U.S. Representative - Silvestre Reyes (http://wwwc.house.gov/reyes/news_detail.asp?id=694 - broken link)

I had to use someone else's words, because I don't believe in smoke and mirrors to make something its not.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,718,342 times
I am going through an interview process currently with an organization in El Paso, if it would end up resulting in a job offer, I will accept this particular one and relocate to El Paso.

If I end up with this job, the reasons I will relocate to El Paso (and the reasons I am such a big, and for some reason often-criticized, fan of the city):

-The weather: For me, the year-round climate in El Paso is the best in the nation, perhaps next to Southern California, and even then it is close because of the ability to once in a blue moon witness a speck of snow.

-The size: El Paso is a perfect-sized city for me. Any city in that metro range of 600,000 to 1-million is perfect...it has enough of the things that you "need" (eg: big city amenities), however, is very manageable because it isn't so huge / congested / sprawled, etc.

-Cost of housing: In 2006, Fortune Magazine rated El Paso's housing market the second strongest in the nation. At that point, the median housing price was a hare shy of $125K. That number has risen a hare to more in the $135K range over the past 14 months, however, it is still wildly affordable compared to most major cities/metros in the US:

http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/econdev/...%20Profile.pdf
(page 4)

-Cost of living: http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/econdev/...%20Profile.pdf
(page 4)

EXCERPT:
"According to the American Chamber of Commerce Research Association (ACCRA), the Cost of Living Index for El Paso is 93.2. The average cost of living in the U.S. is 100."

-Traffic:
http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/econdev/...%20Profile.pdf
(page 4)

EXCERPT: "Despite being the 21st largest city in the U.S., commute time in
El Paso is extremely low. The U.S. Census estimates that 40% of El Pasoans have an average commute of 21 minutes and 20% have an average commute of 30 minutes."

-The culture:
El Paso is a laid-back, unpretentious, very unique, border-cultured city and I like that.

-The food:
I love Mexican food, and the most good Mexican in the US is found in El Paso. Plus it is cheap.

-The landscaping / gardening:
I like a) fruit trees, b) cactus varieties and other desert vegetation, and c) palm trees and really enjoy spending time putzing around with them. El Paso's climate is great for growing these varieties.

-The sunshine/mountains/topography/sunrises/sunsets/vast blue skies:
This stuff means alot to me for my tastes.

-The "college town" atmosphere as it surrounds UTEP and UTEP sports

-Some great family and acquaintances who live there

-Not having to break out my snow shovel anymore

Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
-The landscaping / gardening:
I like a) fruit trees, b) cactus varieties and other desert vegetation, and c) palm trees and really enjoy spending time putzing around with them. El Paso's climate is great for growing these varieties.
I remember when my grandparents were alive they had an ''Oasis'' at their home. They had HUGE shade trees in the front and back yards. They had a large garden and all kinds of Flowers and Plants and even a small Fish Pond with Gold Fish in it.

I always saw Praying Mantis on the trees and Bees and Humming birds etc...as it was alive there. Again just like an Oasis as these things stick out in the desert. And when it rains in the spring and summer you smell that desert rain smell thats really awesome. Just like the Creosote bushes in the desert that always smell like fresh rain.

So if i ever relocate to EP and bought a home it would truely be an Oasis of my own creation.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,718,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
...and Humming birds etc...
Ah yes 6 FOOT, the hummingbirds...I forgot to mention those! Good call.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,624 times
EnjoyEP, "BEST WISHES TO YOU" in your job interview I hope you become an El Pasoan very soon sir.
Looks like El Paso is getting quality new residents, BRAVO!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,221,846 times
yes indeed Enjoy EP, Levow wishes you the best of luck also, once u pass that test, El Paso will welcome you with open arms!!!!! [like journey lol]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso