Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:34 PM

53 posts, read 98,353 times

Advertisements

Once again I have to say, you are confusing "off infrastructure" with "Off Grid".it doesn't matter who or how many people confuse this. Popularity does not make it "Right". Or what Wiki has to say, which is written by non professional people that have the time to post misinformation on whatever subject.
When the power went out in most of the northeast. The news reporters had it right. "The Grid went down today ...". Yes they were referring to the "electric grid". That is where the term was coined, along with Thomas Edison, when he proposed a "Grid" of power poles to supply the nation with electricity.
Now you combine the Grid with water supply, and roads you have the start of an infrastructure.
Semantics??? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 11:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
I will agree you are stubborn. You really think I went out and fixed the wiki?

Your problem is simply you decline to agree with the general populace.

If you can get your own language you can do that. But as long as you share with the rest of the population you cannot.

Or you can simply refer to off-the-electric grid which we all agree would be correct.

Semantics are in fact important and deviant definition erode the language.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 PM

Lol. Now it appears we do agree on most points, and we can leave it at that. I must point out thou, that I am not the only stubborn one here.
So, I am building an off electric grid home. Today I found a fridge/ freezer that is of good size. It stands about 5 feet tall and about 2 feet wide the freezer on top about 2 cubic feet. The amazing thing about this unit is it runs on 115 volts, 120 watts, and 1.5 amps. My PV panels will have no problems running this. I'll find out in a few days when I get my power Inverter. I've been busy pulling and digging Mesquite plants. I hate them. Clearing space for Pecan trees, and Peach trees. It appears they do well here, of course they'll need extra watering for a year or two. So if people ask me what I do, I guess I'll reply "I water trees for a living".

Old 05-30-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow post View Post
Lol. Now it appears we do agree on most points, and we can leave it at that. I must point out thou, that I am not the only stubborn one here.
So, I am building an off electric grid home. Today I found a fridge/ freezer that is of good size. It stands about 5 feet tall and about 2 feet wide the freezer on top about 2 cubic feet. The amazing thing about this unit is it runs on 115 volts, 120 watts, and 1.5 amps. My PV panels will have no problems running this. I'll find out in a few days when I get my power Inverter. I've been busy pulling and digging Mesquite plants. I hate them. Clearing space for Pecan trees, and Peach trees. It appears they do well here, of course they'll need extra watering for a year or two. So if people ask me what I do, I guess I'll reply "I water trees for a living".
Pecans? I thought I read they are a high water use crop. Over 100 gallons a day per tree. You gonna be busy hauling water.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:04 PM

Did you read that on wiki?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:09 PM

Fabens, Texas has some of the best pecan trees and Pistachio trees. About 50 miles from me.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
No but you might try that.

And it is about 111 gallons per day per tree...year round. Six trees and you may one trip a day with your tanker...just for the trees. I would think any rational pecan grower would have a large and reliable water source.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
Quote:
I can see it. The pecan orchards near near me need much irrigation and periodic flooding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDeLtXVJODM

Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Fabens, Texas has some of the best pecan trees and Pistachio trees. About 50 miles from me.
The Fabens area has historically been irrigated farm land, unlike the nearby desert lands. The Ft. Hancock area used to enjoy the same irrigation water from the Rio Grande but it began drying up over 50 years ago and the water seldom gets that far south today - unless it's waste discharged from the Juarez metro area.

I thought it interesting that a web site maintained by people living in the desert west of El Paso, and near the spot on the map called Cornudas,TX, have let their web site expire as of June 1. Some of those hardy souls once contributed to the City Data forum before going off on their own. Maybe they'll return now that their own web site is shut down. There's still a lot of good information in this old thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/34425-wallace-town-usa-west-texas-chattin-62.html

There are several similar City Data threads dealing with desert dwellers and their tribulations. If you will plug this phrase into the GOOGLE search window, it will return the pertinent threads that are well worth reading for anyone contemplating buying West Texas desert land and/or developing it.

cornudas forum site:www.city-data.com

Old 07-14-2015, 01:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,003 times
hey sounds great man. im thinking about buying and moving out there. sounds like your doing good job getting yourself set up. good job and luck with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso