Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 9,772 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have accepted a postdoctoral position at UTEP and I was wondering if I could get some information about the general area. Cost of living (will be making around 40K) and neighborhoods to consider living would be nice. Recommendations about apartment complexes are also welcome

About me: I am 30 years old Caribbean female who just graduated with her Ph.D in Neuro. I liked the cost of living in Central PA, but the cold was getting way too brutal, so I'm looking forward to the sun. If you need more information to help me out, feel free to ask; I'm still jumping for joy from the job offer so I might be a tad absent minded. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 03:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycookies28 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have accepted a postdoctoral position at UTEP and I was wondering if I could get some information about the general area. Cost of living (will be making around 40K) and neighborhoods to consider living would be nice. Recommendations about apartment complexes are also welcome

About me: I am 30 years old Caribbean female who just graduated with her Ph.D in Neuro. I liked the cost of living in Central PA, but the cold was getting way too brutal, so I'm looking forward to the sun. If you need more information to help me out, feel free to ask; I'm still jumping for joy from the job offer so I might be a tad absent minded. Thank you!
Congratulations!

I have a friend who is also a Carribean female who taught at UTEP (medical something, I think) for a few years. She is from the Lehigh Valley area and just moved back after finding work out there. She missed being in PA.

She lived on the west side of El Paso. I would look at the 79911 and 79912 area codes if you're interested in the west side. UTEP is located very close to the west side, commute was about 15 minutes.

I've been to PA a couple of times, spent some time in Pittsburgh, Bethlehem/Nazareth and Philly. It's a nice state!

Another friend of mine is also a professor there. Don't remember what she teaches, though but I do know it's graduate level stuff.

Cost of living isn't too bad in EP. Remember, TX does not have a state income tax and gas is around $2.50 for regular now.

I always recommend apartments managed by these guys:

Bohannon Development Corporation - Home

Puerta Villa is on the west side:

Puerta Villa at Cimarron - Apartment Homes in El Paso, TX

FYI, it's still in the mid 60's here.

Good luck with your move. If you need any tips on moving, ask away as I have moved about 7 times thanks to Uncle Sam.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:58 PM

Oh man...thanks for been so thorough Army guy! PA is super nice and cheap- at least central PA- and I'm going to miss it very much!

I started looking at the 79912 zip and saw Puerta Villa at Cimarron. Do you have any ideas as to what's included in the rent? They seem to have different floor plans for the 1br/1bth options and if I can spring for a larger space while still keeping utilities low, I'd love it.

I'm just moving with whatever can fit in my corolla, so I'll be starting from scratch; I'll need things like bed, sofas, télé, even plates lol! Any ideas where I can find these things for cheap?

Also, since you've been around for a while, what is there fun to do?

I'm so looking forward to a winter that's 60 degrees. ..I gave all boots and coats away!!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Man... $2.50 for gas sounds delicious.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I started looking at the 79912 zip and saw Puerta Villa at Cimarron. Do you have any ideas as to what's included in the rent? They seem to have different floor plans for the 1br/1bth options and if I can spring for a larger space while still keeping utilities low, I'd love it.

I'm just moving with whatever can fit in my corolla, so I'll be starting from scratch; I'll need things like bed, sofas, télé, even plates lol! Any ideas where I can find these things for cheap?

Also, since you've been around for a while, what is there fun to do?
The only thing included with rent is rent. Water isn't expensive, they tack it onto your rent bill.

There are a bunch of mom & pop furniture places south of I-10 east of downtown that I've been to. Prices are negotiable. Just PM me when you get down here and I'll give you my preferred one.

Outdoor stuff is really big here: sports, biking, running/jogging, etc...

I enjoy biking, just riding around to see the sights is a pleasure of mine. There is a minor league ball club in town, I haven't been there but I've seen pics and it looks nice, I've heard tickets aren't expensive. I don't go out very much and don't drink so I couldn't tell you about bars/clubs.

My suggestion is to get far south as you can during this time of year on your drive to avoid potential bad weather. I would hit 81 to 40 to 30 to 20 to 10.

If you are driving by yourself, definitely stay on the interstate and only stay in chain hotels along the way. Once you are west of Dallas, the speeds go up. Make sure your car has been inspected by a competent mechanic for the long drive. It would be even better if you could get a driving mate and you fly them back. ELP airport isn't bad for a small airport. Direct flights aren't to too many cities but I believe if you decide to visit home, you can fly from here to Dallas and then to Philly.

This summer, I drove from ELP to Chicago and then to Philly and then back. I've put in a few miles.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Well I'll be in Orlando visiting the parents and will start my drive from there. I plan to stop in Louisiana to sleep and recover from the day. I might even sight see a bit.
I called Cimarron on the phone and they were super nice and helpful, much nicer than the people at the Pointe.

I'm a walker and it's good that the town is a pedestrian town. If it's not too warm, maybe I can walk to Utep...too far?

Thanks for the help! I'll keep you posted. Is cable and Internet decent?

Old 12-03-2014, 07:22 PM

575 posts, read 884,932 times
congrats on your new job.

Don't throw away all your coats-- it can get quite cold here. We are typically nicely moderate and sunny during the winter, but it's been known to snow (a bit--nothing like PA, I'm sure) and get down in the teens a couple of times per winter. And of course it does get quite hot during the summer.

I don't think we're a "pedestrian town" at all -- being in the desert there are no natural boundaries, except for the gigantic mountain in the middle of town and the river/international border the town is quite spread out -- 50 miles from one end to the other. Your best bets for a commute to UTEP are Central, Kern Place/Cincinnati area (lots of competition with students), and the Westside.

You might look at the Monticello apartments on Mesa; they are in a "smart" development with restaurants, etc. About 10-15 minutes from UTEP by car. New, and probably pretty pricey. the Puerta Villa at Cimarron are nice (from the outside) but a bit further out (and no good porches/balconies which is a pet peeve of mine); I'd say 20 minutes by car to UTEP.

We need to start a welcome wagon thing here, gee.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well I'll be in Orlando visiting the parents and will start my drive from there. I plan to stop in Louisiana to sleep and recover from the day. I might even sight see a bit.
I called Cimarron on the phone and they were super nice and helpful, much nicer than the people at the Pointe.

I'm a walker and it's good that the town is a pedestrian town. If it's not too warm, maybe I can walk to Utep...too far?

Thanks for the help! I'll keep you posted. Is cable and Internet decent?
In that case, you'll just take I-10 on a straight shot. If you're going to stay in LA, I recommend staying in Lake Charles. I lived in LA years ago. LC is about 13 hours from ELP. If you plan on driving straight from LA to ELP, LC is about 13 hours. If you're going to break it up, there is a small town about 1 hour northwest of SATX called Kerrville. I've stayed at the Hampton Inn there and it's nice.

After SATX, you won't see much until you get to the ELP area. West of SATX, speed limit turns to 80, you'll gradually gain elevation and gain 1 hour as ELP is mountain time. Not much in the way of hotels west of Kerrville so plan accordingly.

UTEP would be too far of a walk, IMO. But if you're interested in biking, I think it would be a nice bike ride. There are a couple of nice bike shops in town and I can recommend one if you're interested. There is actually a very nice bike shop by UTEP, it's a little higher end, they don't sell $100 bikes you'd see at the chain stores but a good bike is worth it, IMO.

BTW, ELP is about 4,000 feet ASL. Some people, my wife is one, has had trouble adjusting to the elevation. I would recommend taking your time acclimating to the elevation. Going over 375, which goes over/through the Franklin Mountains, there is a point 5,280 feet ASL.

Cable/internet leaves you basically with 2 choices: Time Warner Cable or AT&T. I've used both, can't tell much of a difference between the two. I'm around $100/month for the cable package 1 above basic with basic internet.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
Welcome to ELP. My daughter did her undergrad at Messiah College in Grantham ( south of Mechanicsburg) and we would go to Hershey and Lancaster for fun. She got a fellowship at Villanova and finished the MA and now is working in downtown Philadelphia and living in Ardmore. She has become a true NE Yankee. LOL You have gotten some great advice in the above posts. I would recommend that you do live on the Westside if possible. I think it will be more to your liking.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:09 PM

238 posts, read 420,606 times
I wouldn't trust Army_Guy's opinion, he has an odd taste for egregious commercials.

Kidding aside, since you are working at UTEP. I would advise looking for places on the west side (79922, 79912) since the commute is shorter as compared to living on the east side (and it is not getting any better because of the ongoing construction near Lee Trevino). Puerta Villa is a good place to start as previously mentioned but a notable recommendation is the Montecillo apartment complexes (The Venue at Montecillo | Apartments for Rent in El Paso, TX) since it is even closer to UTEP. That area also has some pretty good restaurants/amenities within walking distance and they are building a small entertainment district across the street (supposed to include more restaurants and an Alamo Drafthouse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso