Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,151,235 times

Advertisements

Great article.

How El Paso Ended Up With America's Best Smart Growth Plan - Housing - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 09:50 AM

643 posts, read 1,316,519 times
Read that article earlier this week. Here is a more in depth report I found last week. Although it appears to be a draft it has all the elements that were touched on in the above mentioned article.

http://www.elpasotexas.gov/downtown/information/downtown_plan/draft_dt_2015_plan.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM

52,740 posts, read 48,075,782 times
It is certainly an interesting plan for the city, and one of the most comprehensive I've seen. El Paso needs creativity to improve all sustainable types of progress and mobility. And not just for downtown, but other parts of town, as well. Hopefully, new growth will not be limited by this, but rather encouraged. I'll be interested to see how this comes forth.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM

643 posts, read 1,316,519 times
case44, look at the proposed building at "The Fountains at Farah"

You can do a search in these forums. It looks to be a mixed use project. I'm personally excited as this will bring new ideas and concepts that are catching on.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 PM

879 posts, read 3,041,850 times
Wow! That is awesome, thanks for posting those links.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM

32 posts, read 72,958 times
I love new urbanist designed settlements and enjoy listening to the likes of Andres Duany... but let's get real. No matter how visionary a city plan - the greatest cities in the world came about gradually without a centralized planning committee.

The only way to get a city fast and cheap is eliminating zoning and building all together. Eliminating zoning would double night life over night. It would also give El Paso a much needed economic boost. Also get rid of all those "historical" districts. People whom want to improve their homes are unable to because of zealous planning commissions that scrutinize every detail.

All government programs are slow, expensive and lack free choice.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,501,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordvictory View Post
I love new urbanist designed settlements and enjoy listening to the likes of Andres Duany... but let's get real. No matter how visionary a city plan - the greatest cities in the world came about gradually without a centralized planning committee.

The only way to get a city fast and cheap is eliminating zoning and building all together. Eliminating zoning would double night life over night. It would also give El Paso a much needed economic boost. Also get rid of all those "historical" districts. People whom want to improve their homes are unable to because of zealous planning commissions that scrutinize every detail.

All government programs are slow, expensive and lack free choice.
If you want to see what a zoning free community looks like, look no further than Sparks. Now imagine that on a grand scale.

"Fast and cheap" is the exact opposite goal of any city planner. And yes, the "greatest cities in the world" were still designed by civil engineers and planners. Washington, D.C. was, for example, designed by Pierre Charles L'Enfant, and given approval by a commission appointed by George Washington.

Phoenix owes its grid pattern to the town fathers who laid out the plan during the end of the 19th century. That's why it remains to this day the country's most easily navigable large city.

Paris was given a massive modernization in the 1860s, which is why it looks like it does today. Yes, done by civil engineers.

Methinks you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 AM

32 posts, read 72,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
If you want to see what a zoning free community looks like, look no further than Sparks. Now imagine that on a grand scale.

"Fast and cheap" is the exact opposite goal of any city planner.
You just confirmed my point. Why would I want something done slow and expensively? That's ridiculous.

Quote:
And yes, the "greatest cities in the world" were still designed by civil engineers and planners. Washington, D.C. was, for example, designed by Pierre Charles L'Enfant, and given approval by a commission appointed by George Washington.
How about Brasilia? Another government marvel?

Quote:
Phoenix owes its grid pattern to the town fathers who laid out the plan during the end of the 19th century. That's why it remains to this day the country's most easily navigable large city.
I don't have a problem with someone laying out an initial grid, especially if it's done by local citizens. My problem is when code becomes "form based" and has a bunch of extra restrictions such as building height, design, frontage, ect.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,823,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordvictory View Post
You just confirmed my point. Why would I want something done slow and expensively? That's ridiculous.

How about Brasilia? Another government marvel?

I don't have a problem with someone laying out an initial grid, especially if it's done by local citizens. My problem is when code becomes "form based" and has a bunch of extra restrictions such as building height, design, frontage, ect.
And this "smart growth" looks very environmentally hideous and like more urban sprawl, they plan to have big subdivisions built right near the Franklin State Park, but if they call it a smart growth plan, no one notices how much urban sprawl it contains and how much it damages what's left of the environment. And of course much more carving up of the mountain is included in these plans.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,151,235 times
Absolutely. That is probably why the Environmental Protection Agency honored the draft. Because of the damage it is going to do to the environment.

It is as if you do not even read the current available information before returning to your agenda and narrow minded views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: