Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times

Advertisements

A friend of my son graduated last year with a 4.2 weighted GPA and was not even in the top 10% of her class of about 650 kids. My kids attended her school for a couple of years, until we moved. It is a very difficult, large suburban high school. It's located in an area where many of the families are very highly educated and stress academics above everything. We actually knew kids there that were sent to tutoring classes and improvement courses such as Kaplan or Kumon by there parents if they scored below a 95 on any paper or test. At our house a 95 was cause for celebration!

When we began visiting with college admissions people and they learned that our son had attend that high school and had a 3.8 we were told that it was in fact a very difficult school and that it would be taken into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
I had a GPA north of 4.0 in high school. There were only 5 of us.

Our undergraduate class was only about 400, though. If 70 people got 4.0 or above..that would certainly be strange.

On the other hand, the high school that my siblings went to had like 40 "Valedictorians." (They named anyone with a 4.0 a valedictorian..lol..it was one of those schools.) Their graduating classes tended to be around 300....so I immediately suspected grade inflation. Not saying it occurred...just saying it was suspicious.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
DS has a weighted 4.0 GPA and he's barely in the top 25% of his class (<400 students per class). The issue isn't grade inflation, I think the classes could be more challenging but it's a magnet school so my expectations are higher. It's not like they get fluff work now, I just think the students could do more...at least I know mine could. Very few of the classes are below honors level and with many AP classes available I'd expect lots of kids with 4.0 weighted. Still, it's frustrating to me that a kid who doesn't always do his best still ends up with a 4.0...I worked my fanny off for a 3.5, lol.

DD will likely be at the top of her class with something higher than a 4.0. They have honors classes but no AP. Instead of AP courses are college level and she'll have a separate GPA for those classes.

So, I guess it depends on the school and the students. For an average school I'd not expect that many 4.0's but for magnet schools I don't think it's that uncommon.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
DS has a weighted 4.0 GPA and he's barely in the top 25% of his class (<400 students per class). The issue isn't grade inflation, I think the classes could be more challenging but it's a magnet school so my expectations are higher. It's not like they get fluff work now, I just think the students could do more...at least I know mine could. Very few of the classes are below honors level and with many AP classes available I'd expect lots of kids with 4.0 weighted. Still, it's frustrating to me that a kid who doesn't always do his best still ends up with a 4.0...I worked my fanny off for a 3.5, lol.

DD will likely be at the top of her class with something higher than a 4.0. They have honors classes but no AP. Instead of AP courses are college level and she'll have a separate GPA for those classes.

So, I guess it depends on the school and the students. For an average school I'd not expect that many 4.0's but for magnet schools I don't think it's that uncommon.
My school is a public magnet and even for our AP classes and other college courses we do not weight. Therefore no one gets a 4.0.

As for the OP, I will ask again. Is it one year of 70 4.0s or is that the norm each year?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My school is a public magnet and even for our AP classes and other college courses we do not weight. Therefore no one gets a 4.0.

As for the OP, I will ask again. Is it one year of 70 4.0s or is that the norm each year?
It sounds like it is the norm. I don't know much about the 70/4.0 school, I was just talking to someone in passing and the comment was made that the kids in our high school must not be as smart as the kids in that high school because we only had 2 kids with 4.0's (no grade weighting here so 4.0 is as high as you can get). My though was that their school wasn't pushing the kids hard enough if that many had 4.0's. I know that our top kids are going to some pretty impressive schools so I know that the the school is well respected (Berkley, MIT, 3 to Notre Dame, U of Illinois for engineering, Northwestern, U of M IT, Julliard, Duke, just to name a few that I know of). This is just a suburban public high school.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
My kids magnet program used a 5.0 grading scale, so lots of 4.0 in a class of approx 1000 kids.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My kids magnet program used a 5.0 grading scale, so lots of 4.0 in a class of approx 1000 kids.
In that case, how many 5.0's do you have?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Good question, wish I could find some hard and fast figures on that.
I was just saying that in my kids program a 4.0 is more or less a B average and is fairly common, so when you ask about 70 kids with a 4.0 my thinking is that it really depends on circumstances.
As far as the 5.0 I would not be at all surprised to find a large number of students in this program that do have a perfect 5.0 because it's designed to attract the high achievers, out of a pool of 150k students. Not a stretch to think that several dozen students could pull a 5.0 under those (admittedly unusual) circumstances.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
In that case, how many 5.0's do you have?
It might be difficult or even impossible to achieve a 5.0 at some schools. That would require that ALL courses are honors level or higher and/or enough AP courses to compensate for the 4.0 courses that are required. FE, there is no honors PE so right there you can't get a 5.0 unless you have courses worth more than 5.0. I can't remember off the top of my head but several other courses are not offered at an honors level and all worth 4.0 max making it very difficult (if not impossible) to get a perfect 5.0.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
The number of students in that senior class is important here. Absent of a massive amount of kids in this grade, I think something fishy is going on.

We were weighed based on being college-prep and AP classwork. We got no extra points for AP classes but you had to have taken the classes. If there was any sort of tie then ACT test scores were used to determine a winner. If those were the same then it was based on junior high classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education