Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 5,384 times

Advertisements

In the United States, many schools, textbooks are the property of the school, with desks and chairs with numbers, do not belong to the students. In other words, students used textbooks is borrowed from school, after school textbooks should be returned to the school.

what is your idea of this way doing the testbooks?
Is it good or bad ?thank for you answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:27 AM

52 posts, read 134,317 times
we have the same system here in the philippines.since the government is funding for all the materials, facilities and other things inside the school, children are supposed to return all this stuff after the school year ends.basically, this system applies only to public institutions. i can't say if it is good or bad but i think it really depends on the situation.if the government does not have enough resources to provide for all the students the needed materials/textbooks to support education, i think, this is there way of compromising the situation.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
You want the students to pay for textbooks like they do in private school? What happened to public education being free?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
When my kids were in high school, they had the option of buying some of their texts in AP and honors classes.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
We don't have "free public education" here I have to pay textbook rental fees usually $100 and up per child. They can't keep the books but turn them back in at the end of each year.

I don't think keeping the textbooks would be necessary but I don't like paying for the books then teachers not use them in classes either. With the Internet so entwined in many classes today many teachers sway away from the textbooks I am paying big bucks for my kids to have.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
I think it's a good system as books are too expensive for each student to buy. That said, I did have to buy most of my literature books (there was only one class set and when the teacher taught the same book for all 4 of her classes, only the kids with demonstrated need got to borrow a book)- though I got most from the library. I also had to buy AP history and econ books, which was fine because my AP US history book was what got me my 5 on the AP history exam... all those hours of meticulous annotating and highlighting paid off.

I hope books never go solely online, though. I have a very difficult time reading. Right now I am writing several essays for my college courses and MOST of our reading has been online. It's much more difficult to write because I have not been able to highlight or put sticky notes near passages I know I want to write on. Essentially, I have to re-read a month's work of readings in order to write a solid essay.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I think it's a good system as books are too expensive for each student to buy. That said, I did have to buy most of my literature books (there was only one class set and when the teacher taught the same book for all 4 of her classes, only the kids with demonstrated need got to borrow a book)- though I got most from the library. I also had to buy AP history and econ books, which was fine because my AP US history book was what got me my 5 on the AP history exam... all those hours of meticulous annotating and highlighting paid off.

I hope books never go solely online, though. I have a very difficult time reading. Right now I am writing several essays for my college courses and MOST of our reading has been online. It's much more difficult to write because I have not been able to highlight or put sticky notes near passages I know I want to write on. Essentially, I have to re-read a month's work of readings in order to write a solid essay.
Buying books for AP classes is different since AP classes are optional. If AP classes were required, the books should be provided for free.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Buying books for AP classes is different since AP classes are optional. If AP classes were required, the books should be provided for free.
I suppose you could call it optional.... though the only other option was on-level which- from my experience in on-level 12th grade literature- is one step above special ed. It was frustrating in my AP classes because it shut out many poor kids- especially in the foreign languages because of all the extra books needed. My dad had been unemployed for 3-4 years by the point I was taking all of my AP courses and it was a real struggle for my family- even disregarding the cost of tests.

For academic courses, students should not have to buy their own texts if they do not want to regardless of the level of difficulty the course is. By not making texts available to AP students when on-level books are available, how is this in any way fair? If anything, it punishes students for taking initiative to take the more challenging courses.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:14 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,675 times
It's better to rent the books, or to have them on loan than to not have them at all. Many k-12 students can't afford books.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
We don't have "free public education" here I have to pay textbook rental fees usually $100 and up per child. They can't keep the books but turn them back in at the end of each year.

I don't think keeping the textbooks would be necessary but I don't like paying for the books then teachers not use them in classes either. With the Internet so entwined in many classes today many teachers sway away from the textbooks I am paying big bucks for my kids to have.

I don't think public school kids should have to pay for books OR for book rentals though. I think a totally free education should be available to kids in public schools.

FYI-$100 per kid is not big bucks compared to the price of the books. I still don;t think public school kid should have to pay though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education