Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times

Advertisements

So, why are there more kids going to college needing remedial work? Or is this just now being talked about, publicly? I assume they have to take the ACT or SAT, which identifies those with problems.

I do remember when I first went to a community school and, through my naivety, didn't know what was coming. These days, most kids have a computer with online access to all kinds of tutorials or practice tests, which they study for weeks. Likewise, I've seen this in book form, often accompanied with DVD's.

Are some of the perceived problems coming from the fact that there are thousands of charter schools, not to mention upsurge in home schooling, mentioned in an earlier post? Could be the ratio of lower achieving students to higher achievers has changed, making public schools look worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
It absolutely amazes me that there are STILL students coming to college unprepared, when college curriculum has been so dramatically dumbed down. Apparently, rising to even mediocrity is too much to ask.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
So, why are there more kids going to college needing remedial work? Or is this just now being talked about, publicly? I assume they have to take the ACT or SAT, which identifies those with problems.

I do remember when I first went to a community school and, through my naivety, didn't know what was coming. These days, most kids have a computer with online access to all kinds of tutorials or practice tests, which they study for weeks. Likewise, I've seen this in book form, often accompanied with DVD's.

Are some of the perceived problems coming from the fact that there are thousands of charter schools, not to mention upsurge in home schooling, mentioned in an earlier post? Could be the ratio of lower achieving students to higher achievers has changed, making public schools look worse.

I think part of the problem is that it's drilled into kids that everyone must go to college. Frankly, not everyone is "college material." Kids who are barely functionally literate in high school, unless they are exceptionally motivated and have good support, are probably not college material. These are the kids who end up in remedial classes in college.

I don't know if this is a new problem, by the way. I know that when I was in high school, there were students in remedial high school math classes who were encouraged to apply to colleges. I have no idea whether they got in or where they went, but I can only imagine that they required some sort of remedial help once they got there.

Since homeschoolers in general (not every homeschooler, obviously) tend to do better on standardized tests (including SATs and ACTs) than public schoolers in general, I will take a gander that they are not the ones taking up very much space in the remedial college classes. (From my experience, I also don't see every homeschooled teen encouraged to go to a 4-year college... many learn a trade or go into the family business, or start their own businesses. So the ones who are not college material may simply not be applying to and attending college.) I don't know enough about charter and private schools to give an opinion on those.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
Another aspect of higher education problems is that a lot of kids don't have the slightest idea what they want to do, so when the go to college, either there's no sense of direction. That may translate to less motivation. Same could be said of high school. Kids need to know themselves, better, so if there are kids who are not college material, they wouldn't be wasting their time.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,422 times
In Hartford,CT parents can now apply to different zones. The city is broken up into about four zones and parent can apply to any school in their zone. Giving them many choices. Schools are getting better because now they have to market themselves, and offer programs that make students want to pick their school.

Parents know their children the best, they know in what enviroment works best for their child and now they have the choice.

I also think that magnet schools, if publically funded should go away. Instead use that money to set up grants for the public schools for music and arts classes, which need to be brought back into the schools.

Smaller class sizes, and more level options for classes. Also after-school programs that offer tutoring,home-work help, and also to teach older students practical knowledge like how to balance a budget,write a check, write a resume, or how to handle an interview.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 AM

41 posts, read 107,236 times
Most of the schools that need improving are located in poor or urban areas, the parents of these kids rarely work the kinds of jobs that require lots math and reading or in some cases a diploma or GED, how do you motivate kids who parents are getting by quite well with out an education?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 PM

473 posts, read 760,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly c's View Post
Most of the schools that need improving are located in poor or urban areas, the parents of these kids rarely work the kinds of jobs that require lots math and reading or in some cases a diploma or GED, how do you motivate kids who parents are getting by quite well with out an education?
If parents' wages are so low that their children qualify for free or reduced lunches, then they are hardly doing "quite well".

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM

41 posts, read 107,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post
If parents' wages are so low that their children qualify for free or reduced lunches, then they are hardly doing "quite well".
Thats the thing, there are plenty of jobs that do pay well that don't require diplomas or GED, even a person with a prison record can make good money in a factory job. I have known auto workers and factory workers, railroad workers, who make more money than college prof's, these are the parents of the hard to motivate kids, they don't respect teachers because they see them (teachers) as low paid,

Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Thats the thing, there are plenty of jobs that do pay well that don't require diplomas or GED, even a person with a prison record can make good money in a factory job. I have known auto workers and factory workers, railroad workers, who make more money than college prof's, these are the parents of the hard to motivate kids, they don't respect teachers because they see them (teachers) as low paid,
Every automotive tech I ever dated made A LOT more than I do as a teacher.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I think you are about 50 years behind the times with that statement. That's the way it USED to be back in the Pittsburgh area; it's not like that any more. There's far less manufacturing going on now. Just look at the auto industry. Chrysler is poised for its second bail-out, which will probably be its last. I would never, ever, encourage someone to drop out of high school. College may not be for everyone, but a high school dipoloma or GED is a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education