Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 09:44 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,312,420 times

Advertisements

My wife demands that one of our kids become a doctor, regardless of their interest. Or I should say she attempts to nurture their interest in this field.

I think this is primarily due to the conventional thinking that doctors are one of the best professions.

Is that conventional thinking still true on the eve of 2020?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 10:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,406,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My wife demands that one of our kids become a doctor, regardless of their interest. Or I should say she attempts to nurture their interest in this field.?
That is quite sad, not only will it be difficult for the child but it makes your wife look like she's easily impressed with other people's occupations. Unless you can pay for med school the child will wind up owing 120K or more. There is really no way to groom a child to go into a particular field if they have no interest in it.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:45 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,312,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That is quite sad, not only will it be difficult for the child but it makes your wife look like she's easily impressed with other people's occupations. Unless you can pay for med school the child will wind up owing 120K or more. There is really no way to groom a child to go into a particular field if they have no interest in it.
We do need to guide the kids somewhat. Otherwise my kids would major in video games.

My concern is with basing the picking too much on a profession's traditional allure, rather than the outlook today, especially in these changing times. I've heard doctors complain that their business cannot survive in today's healthcare chaos.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times
Quote:
We do need to guide the kids somewhat. Otherwise my kids would major in video games.
Which you can do and make a lucrative living from it.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:12 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,826,075 times
Quote:
Majoring in video games? I hope you're that lucky to have children who would do that. That's one of the largest and highest paying industries! Looks like you should STAY OUT of guiding them!

Old 12-12-2019, 01:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,773,439 times
I never wanted to be a doctor and my parents never instructed me to do so.
When I was a kid I wanted to be a "scientist".

Old 12-12-2019, 01:19 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,467,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I never wanted to be a doctor and my parents never instructed me to do so.
When I was a kid I wanted to be a "scientist".
Probably because doctors get paid peanuts in China. Not exactly the same situation in the US.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
I wanted to be a writer. Did it for a while, too.I probably will again.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:34 AM

1,045 posts, read 761,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wanted to be a writer. Did it for a while, too.I probably will again.
Same here. In fact, I tried writing novels. They sucked, at least to me. Then I got into writing scripts, and took off - kind of. That was 12 years ago, and I have finally signed with an agent and a talent manager who both are negotiating with a major production company to sell my 5 best screenplays. Never give up. If I can do it, anyone who enjoys writing can. I'm about to work on my old awful novels, to revise them & publish them on Kindle.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 761,655 times
Quote:
My wife demands that one of our kids become a doctor, regardless of their interest. Or I should say she attempts to nurture their interest in this field.

I think this is primarily due to the conventional thinking that doctors are one of the best professions.

Is that conventional thinking still true on the eve of 2020?
It was never true with my family. But then, most of the older generation lived under Jim Crow & worked paycheck to paycheck. Life was different for them, and I guess they couldn't envision it as being any better for their descendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education