Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 PM

793 posts, read 2,215,510 times

Advertisements

how would go along with it if i want to do it on my own, with little help. I am guessing any pc programs like Rosestone wouldn't have that language available. Also Dutch is another language i would love to learn, but let start with low German.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,988,784 times
What is "low" German?

Rosetta Stone is very expensive... there is something similar online called Livemocha, that is free. I don't know if it goes into the depth that RS does, but since it's free, it might be a good start! I think it's Livemocha: Learn Languages and Practice with Native Speakers, but if that doesn't work, just Google it.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:25 PM

793 posts, read 2,215,510 times
Low German is a German dialect mostly spoken in northern Germany and some part of Holland. Many of the moved to America and still speak it, especially in the prairies area (North and South Dakota, Manitoba and Saskatchewan), but also in some central America, like Belize.

Low German - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM

733 posts, read 4,656,504 times
Someone at NDSU might be able to help you. Look at the "Germans from Russia Heritage Collection" at North Dakota State University - Germans from Russia Heritage Collection - as a start.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,945,434 times
Low German is a new term for me. Some years back saw a Bible that was probably a 1st edition of the Martin Luther Bible in OLD GERMAN. There were dates going back to the 16th century inside the WOOD cover (front/back) Maps inside were hand etched. Last names and dates showed it being passed down from Generation to Generation and at a point the last name changed probably due to marriage. Truly a collecters item. A lutheran minister wanted the women who owned it (she found it in a trunk on the 3rd floor of a old house here 92 yr old aunt had lived in ) to donate it to the church. Amazing find to say the least. Stefhen

Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM

49 posts, read 224,314 times
Listen to German Radio Channels like RADIO ENERGY BERLIN or RTL Radio online. Even if you don't understand much in the beginning after a while you will catch some words here and there. That is how I started to learn English and French. Watch German TV every day for at least 30 minutes. Viel glueck !

Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,983 times
I don't know if this is the type of German you are looking for but my two recommendations are:

*Pimmseluers (sp?) German (good for learning HOW to say it and fairly easy also)
* GERMAN IN 10 MINUTES A DAY (it looks like it is for kids but it is very helpful)

The first one is a CD set (not very expensive) and it breaks down the German words syllabel by syllabel, the second is a book and has great "English phonics" for the German words.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:52 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,972,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
how would go along with it if i want to do it on my own, with little help. I am guessing any pc programs like Rosestone wouldn't have that language available. Also Dutch is another language i would love to learn, but let start with low German.

Do you have any experience with German already? You are starting out with some tough ones if not. I took many years of German and spent a lot of time in Europe when I was younger. I have to say I picked up a little bit of many languages, but Dutch and Welsh were beyond me.

There are quite a few German dialects, most of my friends were in the South around the Swiss border and the Black Forest. Good luck with that.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
RCarillo, you're correct about dialects; every area of Germany (as in most European countries) has it's own dialect. My wife speaks a different dialect in her home town than the locals at Bitburg spoke and she only lived about an hour away.

When I was stationed in Germany, I was told that "German is not a language, it's a throat condition"

Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,471 times
Low German is called "Plattdeutch". It is the language of far Northern Germany. It is different from "Hochdeutsch" or High German, which is the "Standard" German language. To learn Low German please contact German schools and organizations. Someone there will refer you to a contact. You might have to get taught by a private instructor, perhaps just a German immigrant in his or her home but hey, that's the best. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education