Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 AM

221 posts, read 996,783 times

Advertisements

AMEN!

While I have never restrained a child, and that probably was not the way to go , but, believe it or not, disruptive kids in a classroom are ........disruptive.

Back in the day, they were taken care of. We seem to have gotten away from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
I don't see the problem. Let teachers do their job. Parents don't educate their kids, someone has to educate them, they've got to learn to follow rules and respect authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:56 AM

303 posts, read 984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
You are SO RIGHT about parents not educating their kids. I mean I don't see why I read so many negative posts about teachers when I am sure there are far more bad parents out there than bad teachers. I have many kids in my class whose parents don't even care about them and their junior high age brothers and sisters are the ones raising them.
Parents expect the school system to to this. It is their job as many view this. Parenting has taken a back seat with both parents having careers and many marriages that that been split up, many children are being raised by single parents and have the aid of older siblings. I am not a teacher but my wife and I have been involved in scouting and a youth group for many years for our own kids and grandchildren.

n recent years we have realized that many parents do not want to get involved or simply cant due to their work arrangement or home situation. So sad but oh so true.

In todays society this teacher should have known the rules. She crossed the line but I know how she must have felt. A couple of years ago I bad a second grade cub scout who was an out of control child, and there were many times I even thought of tying him up, but chose to give him a time out from the group instead and try to contact his mother about his behavior.

When I was a child, punishment was handled in a different manner and many of you know this and may relate as well. When my teacher sent us either to the Principal or the coach, I would always hope for the principal. Our coach would use his well known"board of education" on our behinds.

I had a 5th grade teacher who would have the unruly boys assume the front knelling position with arms es tended forward and had to balance there for several minutes. Can you imagine having that form of school punishment now?

Looking back, I was one of those unruly boys And my trips to see the coach were well deserved. It made me a better person today. But today things are different.I am not sure if this is a good thing.

Last edited by Victor 13; 04-13-2008 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 11:18 AM

870 posts, read 1,631,533 times
i am glad your coach made you a better person. it is nice being a coach and knowing that kids would much rather go see the asst. principal than the coach. that just goes to show you how bad administration is too. the other day i made a kid do lunges all the way around the track for running in the hall and grabbing kids nipples and twisting them. guess what...the next day he was very sore and he has been "walking" through the halls ever since. it is sad that teachers have to come to us coaches with discipline problems instead of sending the kids to the asst. principal. i mean, isn't that what asst. principals get paid for?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:14 PM

285 posts, read 1,093,616 times
Default Teacher accused of tying child to desk resigns

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...CC8&p_docnum=1

I also conveyed my concerns to the North Carolina State Board of Education Attorney, and got the following reponse, most encouraging that this is being taken seriously:

"The State Board of Education has been working in cooperation with the authorities to investigate this case/teacher's license. Thank you for your contact."

Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,874,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i am glad your coach made you a better person. it is nice being a coach and knowing that kids would much rather go see the asst. principal than the coach. that just goes to show you how bad administration is too. the other day i made a kid do lunges all the way around the track for running in the hall and grabbing kids nipples and twisting them. guess what...the next day he was very sore and he has been "walking" through the halls ever since. it is sad that teachers have to come to us coaches with discipline problems instead of sending the kids to the asst. principal. i mean, isn't that what asst. principals get paid for?
Well said. I have actually had disruptive students tell me they wanted to go to the office, so I usually end up sending them to a different classroom. If a disruptive student wants to go to the office you know not much is happening there except for the fact that they are getting out of class.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:27 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,874,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...CC8&p_docnum=1

I also conveyed my concerns to the North Carolina State Board of Education Attorney, and got the following reponse, most encouraging that this is being taken seriously:

"The State Board of Education has been working in cooperation with the authorities to investigate this case/teacher's license. Thank you for your contact."
Just curious about something. Have you ever worked in a classroom before? Are you a teacher? If you are not, then why do you spend so much time attacking teachers. I mean have you ever dealt with a disruptive student and received zero support from an administrator? Oh, even worse, have an administrator tell you that you are bothering her just by simply asking for help?

While it is true that the teacher crossed the line, I wonder exactly what kind of mentoring program this district has for new teachers. If a teacher doesn't go through a mentoring program, they don't always know what they can do with disruptive students. My first year of teaching I had an emotionally handicapped child in my class who happened to have an IEP that said he needed to be in a self-contained special education classroom for some extreme behaviors like throwing desks and threatening to kill other students. Well, the principal decided not to follow the IEP and put him in my room. I had no idea how to restrain him if I had needed to. Luckily, I didn't need to but I was afraid for myself and for the other kids the whole time he was in my class.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,529,851 times
Frankly I think the teacher should be fired and have child abuse charges leveled against her. What do you think would happen if a parent did this to a child and then went to tell the school counselor about it?

DCF would be on their doorstep by the end of the day.

I'm sick of this idea that teachers deserve on pass on common decency. You don't get to abuse the children your meant to be teaching, if you can't teach them without abusing them, then they are in the wrong job.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 AM

285 posts, read 1,093,616 times
Default to answer your questions

[quote=bluebelt1234;3508422]Just curious about something. Have you ever worked in a classroom before? Are you a teacher? If you are not, then why do you spend so much time attacking teachers.

I am not a teacher, I am a parent, and advocate for children's rights. I post about factual occurences and the lack of appropriated response on the part of the adults.

I do not spend all of my time attacking teachers. My mother and two sisters in law are teachers, and happen to be supportive of my advocacy. I am simply sharing factual data on this forum, which is only one way that I work on issues. My mother works in a school district where a teacher shoved a child against the locker and lost his job that day, and that teacher was a family friend. She applauded the action taken against that teacher. He crossed the line, and was dealt with, and a clear message sent in that district that abuse in the classroom would not be tolerated.

I would not stay married to my spouse if he treated me or our children the way that some tolerate educators treating children in the classroom.

In addition to posting in chat forums, which the intent here is to increase awareness as to what is going on in some school districts, I also attend many meetings with fellow advocates, drive hours each way to my capital city, Raleigh, to lobby lawmakers for change. I have testified at committee hearings in the House, written articles, partnered with my state officials, supported other positive measures to wipe out the negative. Examples would include pushing for mental health parity, asking for positive behavioral supports in schools that do not use them, asking for professionals to use research based methods that are educationally sound. I will not apologize for pointing out the facts along the way.

If you have not lived in a school district where abuse is tolerated among the professionals, then I am most happy for you. I am simply calling for a higher standard.

Thank you to all teachers who would never consider harming a child. For those who do, and those who turn a blind eye toward this, you are the ones that I seek change for. Bad policies and bad laws support bad decisions. My children deserve better. If fact, ALL children deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education