Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:42 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,110,293 times

Advertisements

Should American Schools require kids stay in school until they are 18?

Yes.
Imagine: if kids actually had to READ for two additional years, they might learn to spell ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,986,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Should American Schools require kids stay in school until they are 18?

Yes.
Imagine: if kids actually had to READ for two additional years, they might learn to spell ...

Uh... did you stop reading when you got out of highschool? When I was in school, I read the Cliff's Notes if I did'nt like a book. Once I got out, I actually read whole books.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:49 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,065,527 times
Do the vo-tech-as-last-resort thing and alot of kids will still not learn anything. Trade skills and vo-tech has their place but even these kids need a good education that is demanding. Do you really want idiots working on your air conditioner or car engine? That's how you end up with places like Iffy Lube hiring some d00d that flunked out of school and ends up damaging your 22,000 dollar car or truck. We need to keep the standards high, even for kids that are not going to college. If we lower the bar, kids will just fall to our expectations.

I think the real problem is that alot of young people now days are cynical, confused, and lack direction. It's not strictly caused by the school system. It's a more pervasive cultural trend.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:53 PM

793 posts, read 2,214,757 times
In France, you have to go to school till you are 16.

The problem with not setting an age is teens can easily drop out and in most case they get in trouble. Some released later what a mistake it was to quit school.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,986,895 times
In most states, mandatory education ends at 16.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 AM

4,539 posts, read 6,808,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Do the vo-tech-as-last-resort thing and alot of kids will still not learn anything. Trade skills and vo-tech has their place but even these kids need a good education that is demanding. Do you really want idiots working on your air conditioner or car engine? That's how you end up with places like Iffy Lube hiring some d00d that flunked out of school and ends up damaging your 22,000 dollar car or truck. We need to keep the standards high, even for kids that are not going to college. If we lower the bar, kids will just fall to our expectations.

I think the real problem is that alot of young people now days are cynical, confused, and lack direction. It's not strictly caused by the school system. It's a more pervasive cultural trend.
Spot on! Not everyone is going to go to college. We need technically-trained, knowledgeable, and motivated people to fill the important technical jobs that are vital to our economy and country.

The military is another option as well. The military provides excellent training and discipline that many young people are lacking.

If someone drops out of school prior to completing high school and/or reaching 18 then their parent should sign an agreement that THEY will be sole responsible for the financial obligations of their child until age 18.

I've seen too many dropouts get pregnant and/or go on welfare. The new trick many are playing is having their child labeled with some "cognitive deficiency" in elementary/middle school and then finding a doctor/lawyer to get them on permanent disability for the rest of their lives. I'm not talking about mentally impaired children. In many cases they are just slow learners who have below average reading and computation abilities yet they have other skills and interests that could be brought out given the right training program.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,285,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Once kids get past sixth grade, I find the entire approach to education to be royally screwed up. And this proposal is further proof.

Not all kids are college bound. In fact, a majority of them are not. So why shelve them in college prep classes until age 18? Not only are they uninterested, but they slow down the teaching of kids who do plan to attend college.

Instead, why not, beginning at age 14-15, begin giving kids the option to learn a trade instead? There is a critical shortage of professions such as electrician, HVAC, and a host of other technical skills. All these jobs are honorable, well-paying, and chronically understaffed. That way, we're not paying $10,000-$12,000 a pop to educate kids who don't want to be there in the first place.

On the other hand, I bet those same kids would be quite motivated learning carpentry or whatever other line of work they choose.
That's actually a great idea! Have kids learn hard skills in schools instead of forcing them to learn things they don't care about. For those that want to go to college and pursue advanced degrees, let them. That way those who don't will learn skills that are productive to society, and those that go to college actually want to. We kill two birds with that idea by reducing the demand for colleges (potentially reducing costs), and keeping kids in school learning something they want to. "No child left behind" is pretty much a dumb idea. Of course once they reach age 15/16 they'd already have basic math, English, and science skills.

Unfortunately our performance metrics are all wrong. Measuring test scores, number of students attending college, and number of those completing college doesn't really do anything but boosts politician and bureaucrat egos.

-chuck22b

Old 04-18-2008, 07:05 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,447,921 times
Default Should American Schools require kids stay in school until they are 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Teacher View Post
I have noticed a few States are making an effort to require that kids stay in school until they are 18. It sounds like an interesting idea but I wonder if it will really improve things. I teach at a local community college and have many years experience in education. I teach many students who have no interest in the subject being taught and basically just drag the whole class down by their lack of interest and terrible attitude. Why they or their parents spend money on college is a real good question. Maybe keeping unmotivated kids in high school past age 16 will not help anyone. They will just stop trying and just put in their time.
Texas requires kids to remain in school until 18 or graduation, whichever comes first. The unfortunate truth is that there are lots of people (today, tomorrow and yesterday) who just don't have what it takes to finish a HS program that's designed for one thing: college prep. Forcing them to remain in classes they hate and can't understand does them no good. They tend to become discipline problems and then they detract from everyone else's education.

America needs to come to the realization that academic skills are not evenly distributed among the population. Schooling is not something that will make dull individuals brighter. The current one-size-fits-all approach is a dismal fiasco that has not served our youth well. Vocational skills training as an option needs to be restored.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,251,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I feel like once children become 13, they should be allowed to decide for themselves. There is no reason to waste all of our tax money on children who don't want to be there in the first place. Not to mention, it's now a requirement to take college prep classes in most schools. That should be voluntary. The kids who don't care about that stuff hold back the other students. It's a shame really. I feel like once kids get in their teens, they should be allowed to do apprenticeships or learn a skilled trade.
No 13 year old should be able to make this decision. They are WAY too young! Give a 13 year old an opportunity to not go to school and many would take it. No way.

I graduated from high school at 17. Making them attend until 18 is stupid. What they should do is focus more resources on students who want vocational training etc, and not just focus on the college bound.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
I graduated from high school when I was 16 and was in college at 17. I had a college degee by 20 and a second undergraduate degree by 21. I would hate to think I would have been forced to wait on all of that just due to some silly 18 year old rule. I did go on to complete two additional advanced degrees but took some time off between undergraduate and graduate. I knew I needed a break. Isn't that what makes America great; our ability to have choices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education