Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Students who create trouble in the classroom are less likely to be tolerated in private schools. Parents who pay out the dollars do not put up with a child who causes trouble at school. Of course, exceptions happen.
This is why we took our kids out of public school after 8th grade. Too many kids in our "California Distinguished School"-awarded public high school who, somehow, veered off course by the time they got to high school. In addition, our public high school was too big and there were too many unsupervised kids with too much access to parents' disposable income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not in all cases. The private schools need the tuition money. If they kick a kid out, they lose that tuition for the remainder of the year. They may have a hard time filling the spot. Children of donors (legacies) get a lot of leeway, too.
I did not say all. That's why I mentioned exceptions.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,247 times
We live in a nice area with a K-5 and 6-8 schools within walking distance, but we put our children into private school. I just don't trust the public schools and can afford the private school. I am disappointed with the academics at the private school and wish they were tougher, i.e. more homework, but I can't change that...

One side note. The middle school near us had two incidents in one month where a child brought guns to school. Loaded. I don't know how we are going to stop that but that school is not in a bad area, very middle to upper class families, and still, guns. I don't think that will happen at our children's school.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
4. While the student body is undeniably upper middle-upper class, there is more diversity than one might expect and the small size means you may actually meet and interact with students from different backgrounds more easily than in larger public schools where kids pair off into established cliques. This is especially so when compared to affluent public high schools where the zoned district is uniformly affluent.
When it comes to education no other diversity matters as much as the bolded one. Academically, my children's' performance reflects our socioeconomic status far more accurately than our race. With that (high)middle-upper socioeconomic status come some givens: At least one college educated parent, adequate medical care, enough food to eat, ability to buy school supplies, utilities aren't shut off, generally at least one parent employed, access to technology, no gang fights in the neighborhood, and many other things to contribute to academically successful students.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
The only benefit I see is that I can say my kids are going to XYZ private school with the "Jones". Why do they do it? Lots of reasons and it varies by area. Don't doubt that in more than a couple areas that race plays a big part in the decision because it does and there is no way to dance around it. We were in NC, I am originally from MI, and I was shocked that they had segregated schools in my lifetime so I'm guessing when they desegregated that more than a couple of kids went to private schools and that the trend has continued. Convenience can play an important role like hours, location, etc. Size can certainly make a difference. Also, sometimes other family members have attended that school so it is just what they do.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM

171 posts, read 446,473 times
Default I clearly understand

if the public schools are lacking or you have the coin to afford it. However, my neighbor states that these schools open doors and provide additional opportunities. If the kids end up in the same place (same college), will that private school education provide opportunities 10 years later when the kid has moved 350 miles away.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
I met a lot of people who attended Lawrence Prep (the prominent private school around here) at my university. Those from the private school were generally more intelligent. I went to one of the best public schools in NJ (often ranked #1); had a stellar SAT score; and I still felt that the people who attended Lawrence Prep were smarter.

Had I known what I know now, I would have requested my parents to put me in Lawrence Prep. 30% of tuition is covered by the endowment.

The flip side is that I went to a public school and ended up at the same university as those who went to the prestigious private school. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM

137 posts, read 136,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I met a lot of people who attended Lawrence Prep (the prominent private school around here) at my university. Those from the private school were generally more intelligent. I went to one of the best public schools in NJ (often ranked #1); had a stellar SAT score; and I still felt that the people who attended Lawrence Prep were smarter.

Had I known what I know now, I would have requested my parents to put me in Lawrence Prep. 30% of tuition is covered by the endowment.

The flip side is that I went to a public school and ended up at the same university as those who went to the prestigious private school. I guess it depends on how you look at it.
You attended Princeton University. I think that has to do more with your parents being attentive to the level of education you receive inside the classroom and out. Like you said, you went to a good public school. That gave your a decent footing. I'm sure your parents were supportive so you could take advantage of the opportunities available to you and make the best of it. And they were able to have you obtain a solid education without spending the $40,000/year on private school. That's not too bad at all.

I'm a strong believer that the majority of a child's learning depends on the support and opportunities they receive from their parents outside of the classroom. The school is just a guide.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
If you live in a rotten school district the advantage is obvious. Less obvious is you can live somewhere without regard to the school district. The savings on the price of the house, and properrty taxes, are substantial. And when the kids are grown you no longer pay the tuition. If you happen to work far from the good school district you can slash your commuting time and expense.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just need a little itty bitty piece of supporting data. That's all.

segregation academies that dot the southern delta are all the data one needs. check out orangeburg prep sometime if you have a minute and compare it to the public school orangeburg - wilkinson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education