Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,407,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I am.
That is both sick and sad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Doesn't everyone still get tested in school at 12 years old? If so, her age isn't relevant because all high IQ people would be discovered young.
Yeah, they all scale to age which I didn't bother mentioning because frankly the whole premise is dumb and the news article is garbage to try to insinuate she's "smarter" than einstein because of the speed and accuracy with which she can answer general mental accuity questions or visualize objects in 3D blah blah blah.

Not to mention they note how wildly the tests vary. I've got about 20pts difference between various tests I've had to take over the years....so who knows....maybe she has a 180IQ or a 140. <shrug>

Bright girl in any regard, I wish her the best.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM

45,484 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, they all scale to age which I didn't bother mentioning because frankly the whole premise is dumb and the news article is garbage to try to insinuate she's "smarter" than einstein because of the speed and accuracy with which she can answer general mental accuity questions or visualize objects in 3D blah blah blah.

Not to mention they note how wildly the tests vary. I've got about 20pts difference between various tests I've had to take over the years....so who knows....maybe she has a 180IQ or a 140. <shrug>

Bright girl in any regard, I wish her the best.

All the above and also, in reality, she's really not that unusual. Rare, but not unusual.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,900,978 times
Quote:
Lauren Marbe, Girl With IQ Of 161, Is Only 16 Years Old

Makes me proud to see this. Good luck in the future!
Is that impressive? I think mines is 120 something.

Um, I didn't know that? There are alot of very very smart people out there but then again there alot of very very very stupid people out there. It is just the way life is.

People in my year cry with a percentage of 80. A classmate managed 11 A *. Personally I think its all relative, alot of people did better than me in GCSE who studied books. But there is such a thing as Book learning and understanding, there are some people for example, who practiced past papers over and over again and got A * in Maths and are struggling at A level. Simply because they don't understand the theories.

Last edited by Mac15; 02-14-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
All the above and also, in reality, she's really not that unusual. Rare, but not unusual.
Yep 160 IQ with a standard deviation of 15 is about 1 in 31,000 or so.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM

20,729 posts, read 19,390,911 times
The bloom of her youth is lovely on this Valentines day, but it wasn't until I thought of tax season that I felt a touch loneliness.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
What about these three and four year olds?

Sherwyn Sarabi, 3-Year-Old Genius, Inducted Into Mensa (VIDEO, PHOTO)

Oh, and how about this 2 year old (she's black and has an IQ of 156)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4_zjafw1qs

Heidi Hankins Joins Mensa With 159 IQ At 4 Years Old (VIDEO)

Note though:
Is 4-Year-Old as Smart as Einstein? Not Quite, Scientists Say | Intelligence & Genius | LiveScience

Quote:
"All you're doing with IQ testing is testing within a certain age group," Lawlis told LiveScience, explaining, "You're saying the 4-year-old is smarter than 99.5 or 99.8 of [her] age group, but that doesn't mean you can compare to another age group."

Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,749,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Studies show that children with genius IQs tend not to make a big splash when they become adults. I remember reading the study long ago and thinking that motivation, interest in a topic, and other things influence success. Plus, high intelligence is generally not rewarded in our modern society.

Someday maybe we can form a State where you have to pass the MENSA test to get in. It would be a Libertarian state, naturally.
My brother's IQ is in the high 170's. I don't remember the exact number, but he's been tested more than once at different points his lifetime.

He's also bi-polar, an addict, and has a bunch of other mental health diagnoses.

He is 50 years old and has spent most of his life in prison. What a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Doesn't everyone still get tested in school at 12 years old? If so, her age isn't relevant because all high IQ people would be discovered young.
I don't recall ever being tested. My kids were not either, until they were tested as part of the evaluation for special education services (2 of the 3 kids). I suspect my middle child is highly gifted but he has not been tested, his school has no G&T program or any of that so there hasn't been a reason to do it at this point.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,101,996 times
Good for all the high-IQ kids, and I hope they all live up to their potential (so many don't), but for the life of me I still can't figure out why the OP is so excited about the first one he discussed for being white? Pretty bizarre.

Quote:
Posted it here [originally in the Politics forum] because I assume someone is going to call her anti semitic for being smarter than Einstein or Racist because she is white and extremely bright.
No, you didn't think that, because no one would say such things.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,100,317 times
This is only news because she doesn't fit the stereotypical appearance of a genius, especially a female genius.

The only use of an IQ test outside of testing youngster for mental retardation is to inflate egos. In the real world, work ethic & social skills>intellgence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education